PDA

View Full Version : Defeated Punic generals

Titus Marcellus Scato
08-15-2011, 17:50
Punic leaders were often brutally tortured and executed (e.g. crucified) by their own side if their army suffered a major defeat. This was especially common in the First Punic War.

I wonder why the leader concerned didn't make sure they didn't survive the battle once they realised they weren't going to win. If your own troops are likely to execute you if you fail, surely that's an excellent reason to either win, or die trying.

Once a Punic general or admiral realised the battle is going against him, logically, he should throw himself into the thickest fighting to try and turn the battle around. Since if he loses the battle, he's probably dead anyway, so why not take any risk to stop the rout?

BTW, has anyone played a Carthaginian campaign and used an assassin to kill one of his own defeated generals?

Newstone
08-16-2011, 03:33
That sounds pretty interesting for role playing, but how do you assassinate your own generals?

TiberiusClaudiusMarcellus
08-16-2011, 03:39
Your assassins can attempt to kill anyone in the game, even your own characters. Same with your spies....except for spying instead of killing.

I attempt to get my own spy skills up by having them work on my diplomats. I could try it with assassins, but that's a bit sordid.

cezarip
08-16-2011, 08:34
That sounds pretty interesting for role playing, but how do you assassinate your own generals?

From what I know you can't. You can assassinate your own spies if they are in a settlement which is not (yet :) ) part of your empire. Otherwise, I don't see how...

ayekides
08-16-2011, 13:50
I'm pretty sure the RTW engine allows you to simply target your own agents/FM just like you would an enemy one. I think this was changed in MTW2 so that its not an option anymore. So as far as I remember, (dont have EB on my comp at the moment) you can assassinate any of those disloyal or incompetent generals you want. If not you can always put them on a boat and crash it into some Illyrian pirates.

Arthur, king of the Britons
08-16-2011, 14:38
It would definitely be an interesting feature, but no it's not possible. Trust me I know.

cezarip
08-17-2011, 08:19
I'm pretty sure the RTW engine allows you to simply target your own agents/FM just like you would an enemy one. I think this was changed in MTW2 so that its not an option anymore. So as far as I remember, (dont have EB on my comp at the moment) you can assassinate any of those disloyal or incompetent generals you want. If not you can always put them on a boat and crash it into some Illyrian pirates.

In RTW I'm sure this is not possible. Yes, you can kill them once they turn rebel, but you can't assassinate your own FM. You can suicide them on the first rebel stack or throw them on a boat but it's otherwise impossible.

Blxz
08-17-2011, 09:04
You guys have confused yourself with medieval total war (number 1) in which you could target anyone for assasination. great feature but it was dropped in RTW and onwards for some unknown reason (probably coz the AI is far to stupid to know when NOT to use it...)