PDA

View Full Version : Would\'nt it be nice if they added a new unit

leoknite
11-18-2000, 16:01
Well it would be nice depending on the idea, like a ninja that runs as fast as yari cav, but are only strong in quick lightning offense or maybe martial artist like shao lin, or maybe a gunners on horse thing, or maybe a battle axe unit, or maybe claw guys, or maybe barbarians or raider or horde units.
Barbarians would be slow and poor defense but like great in hand to hande and like hordes would have swords and maces and axes.

OK OK it 1 am i need sleep Ill shut up now

thought I would huh hahahah/

Sengoku
11-18-2000, 16:43
I agree it would be quite good, but the game generally tries to stay historical - thus the Japanese would not have used battle axes because their swords were symbolic of the warrior's power and were far superior to any Western blades. The idea of mounted gunmen is good, but it would be hard to reload a musket and ride a horse at the same time. Perhaps some kind of new archer - fire arrows?? (which would only be useful for sieges), okay, bad example...

Anssi Hakkinen
11-18-2000, 20:26
Mounted gunmen have been previously discussed, at least in the community forum, and the general consensus was that they were never used in Japan. The Sohei warrior monks, however, did use battle-axes occasionally - very vicious ones, I might add. The sword was only a secondary weapon to them. There are other weapons that haven't been used in STW, like the kusarigama (sickle-chain), other chain weapons, the bô staff etc. However, it would be rather historically unrealistic to have entire units with only one of those weapon types, and they wouldn't bring anything new to the game, so...

------------------
"Carai an Mierendaira!" -- "Glory to the Blue Cross!"

The Black Ship
11-18-2000, 22:32
If they would only bring back the commanders tent concept, like in the Previews, then the ninja idea could work. You could buy his honor up, then send him on his merry way to eliminate the enemy http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

solypsist
11-19-2000, 00:28
I think there are already plenty of units to choose from. It might make better sense to have anexpansion pack with new "historical battles" that introduce a new unit especially for a certain scenario. Practically speaking, a ninja on a battlefield is a poor concept, as is anything revolving around a small unit of elites (Seven Samurai style), but they could work in games that are specially designed for them. But then the game turns into Command & Conquer, and not STW.

Nelson
11-19-2000, 02:06
Ashigaru archers should be added. Most archers in the Sengoku period were ashigaru.

Otherwise I'm with solypsist. From a historical persective the game already has more than enough unit types. This isn't Ages of Kings or Total Annihilation.

BanzaiZAP
11-21-2000, 06:28
Yeah - new scenarios rather than units. One of the things that I liked about the concept was that it offered plenty of variety without needing to go overboard like most RTS do. You don't need a million unit types to make a convoluted strategy, especially when those units are either A) just like all the other unit types, or B) so off-balanced that they end the battle by themselves.

Many people who have only played the in-store version never got to experience the sheer joy of a massive six-army free-for-all. It's no fun with only two sides, so more scenarios of different situations would be great.

Just my 2 bits.

-- B)