PDA

View Full Version : MTW and Current nVidia Cards

Redav
12-02-2011, 07:24
So... as an 8600GTS owner in an old XP machine, I'm well aware that battles are unplayable (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?130041-NVIDIA-GEFORCE-8xxx-AND-9xxx-SERIES-OWNERS-README). This hasn't bothered me too much as I was happy to play at the strategic level however recently I thought I'd like to get back into fighting the battles. I'll try this alleged 'possible fix' tonight but I'm not holding my breath - I never get this lucky.

I'm going to get a new machine early next year and I was wondering if there's still this issue with the current nVidia cards (or even ati?) under Windows 7 or was it limited to 8xxx and 9xxx cards and is now a thing of the past? If it's still an issue, I was going to find an earlier card to play (there's also compatability issues with Star Wars X-Wing so I was doing this anyway) so I was wondering if there is a recommended card to find? Originally I had a 5750 and it was obviously fine but I upgraded it to the 8600 so MTW2 would be playable (it's ironic that I shot myself in the foot) and I no longer have this card. I had imagined a high end 7xxx series or should I go for a 6xxx or even an ati? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

drone
12-02-2011, 15:27
Welcome to the .Org, Redav! ~:wave:

I believe MTW does work with the newer cards in Windows 7, but there are a couple of new issues that creep up. If your PC has a lot of memory, the game will only give you the option to play at 640x480. There is a work around for this, described in this thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?127906-Resalution-issues). And I think if you get the 64-bit version of Win7, you will need to run the game in compatibility mode (XP or Win2000 mode).

But hopefully the Control Panel tweaking will fix the problem with your existing hardware. :bow:

Redav
12-02-2011, 16:31
Cheers. I've popped through here several times over the years, just never signed up.

Yup, ta. Well that's pretty good to know.

Thought I'd try the 'fix' tonight but before hand I'd read that the tutorials and historical battles probably work so I gave them a go. Before playing I changed the camera from widescreen to fullscreen and they were fine (even if there was some minor overdraw issues). Then I tried a coupla campaign battles and they also were fine. I changed fullscreen back to widescreen and I had display issues with the units.

I guess I can't exactly remember the issues I had years ago and I've never seen anyone else with the issues (might go looking over youtube) but I wonder if it's simply the widescreen vs fullscreen option?

drone
12-02-2011, 16:56
I vaguely remember fiddling with the widescreen option a few years ago on an older laptop. I can't remember what issues I had but I do know I eventually gave up and ran it in fullscreen (with a little aspect skew). I don't think I've tried it on my current laptop, 1600x1200 fullscreen is my current setting (ATI 4850).