PDA

View Full Version : Remapping keyboard keys - for optimum MTW battlefield performance

Durango
12-13-2011, 23:07
Hi Main hallers! :bow:

Our beloved game is nearing its 10th anniversary. Time really flies! As it always does when you have fun.
Anyway, I'd like to bring up a certain kind of tweak that us diehards may find useful, and which may be overlooked
amidst all the graphics card issues and whatnot - the keyboard.

The left windows key is a pain. So is the fact that you have to, in order to use numbered groups, practically break
your fingers reaching for the 1-9 keys while clamping down Ctrl with you tentacl... *ahem* pinkie.

Well, there is an easy solution called KeyTweak, a little utility that allow you to quickly disable or remap almost
any key. There are two main changes that apply specifically to MTW:

1. Disable the left Windows key, so as to not accidentally hit it and switch to the desktop.

2. Enabling a key close to the numbers 1-9 as Ctrl in order to reach better, since you must press Ctrl-(1-9)
in order to select your groups.

After you have downloaded the program HERE (http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/KeyTweak_install.exe), follow these instructions to remap your keys:

Click a key in the key selection area that you want to change.
Now you can either remap the key, or disable it.
If you want to remap the key, select a new setting from the drop down box further down. All possible new values
will be contained therein.
You can also click "Disable" right away if that is what you want to do with the key. Note: If you are uncertain of what
a particular key represents
on the keyboard selection screen, just hover the mouse cursor over it.
When you are finished with your changes, click "Apply". The program will automatically check for errors, and will notify
you in case.

I have personally set the Tilde key (the one directly to the left of "1") to act as Right Ctrl. This enables very comfortable
battlefield controls, and quick selection.

Important: KeyTweak modifies your keys globally, i.e. the changes stay that way for all Windows programs, not
just MTW. Keep in mind what else you want to do on your computer when remapping! KeyTweak is compatible with Windows 2000/NT, as well as Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.

The author of the program (Not me):

KeyTweak - Keyboard Remapper
Copyright © 2003-2009 by Travis Krumsick
zxcvbnm6012@yahoo.com.
All rights reserved.

Axalon
02-06-2012, 01:54
Thanks for the tip man.... Tackar....

- A

Durango
02-06-2012, 16:14
You're welcome :bow:

Trapped in Samsara
02-08-2012, 13:55
Hi

Hi Main hallers! :bow:

Our beloved game is nearing its 10th anniversary.

Praise be unto MTW, its designers and modders.

The left windows key is a pain.

Very true.

Well, there is an easy solution called KeyTweak...

Or, if that's too sophisticated, you can pull the keycap off.:dizzy2:

Best regards
Victor

Sapere aude
Horace

Durango
02-08-2012, 15:20
Or, if that's too sophisticated, you can pull the keycap off.:dizzy2:

:laugh4:

How did you know that I did that with my old keyboard? Now I know I'm not crazy. But you should definitely try out the program, since IMHO the one thing RTW did better than MTW is the control scheme...

Trapped in Samsara
02-10-2012, 11:08
Hi Durango

I may well do that.

Cheers
V