PDA

View Full Version : I am desperate

Strategy_gamer
01-11-2012, 20:59
I try to replay Medieval:Total war to my laptop and always 1)the units walk opposite and 2)Map lagging making the game unplayable,i have an old pc tower(AMD athlon 1Ghz,128 RAM.Ati rage 128 pro vga) 11 years old there plays perfectly but make a noise like automobile make the game unaesthetic...they must make a fix so i can play it to my laptop,what's going on? for what they waiting for???!!!:furious3:

laptop specs:
Nvidia geforce 9600M GT
4GB RAM
Windows vista
Intel core duo 2.53 Ghz 2.53 Ghz

Durango
01-11-2012, 21:18
OK, you've got a problem. The 8xxx and 9xxx series from Nvidia are known to cause problems, and in most cases there's nothing to do about it, unfortunately. Had your primary gaming comp been a desktop, you could have replaced the 9600 with an older card, but since it is a laptop...

Now, on your old desktop the game plays fine, but the loud noise indicates a fan issue, and it could be overheating (which is not to be ignored). My personal recommendation would actually be to get rid of it and buy a newer desktop comp - something from 2003 to 2006 is a good range to aim for. That's my solution, as I too had too many problems running MTW on my main rig. I play on a secondary: P4 3,2/2 Gig RAM/Win Xp/ATI X1900XT 512 Mb. Works like a charm! Drivers are also important, however, so it's better if the graphics card is not too new so as to be incompatible with older drivers.

That kind of comp shouldn't set you back more than 80$ or 70 Euros. Perhaps pricey for one old game? You decide.

drone
01-11-2012, 21:48
Welcome to the Org, Strategy_gamer! ~:wave:

After all this time, I think it's safe to say that CA/Activision/Sega will not be releasing a patch for the game, it will be up to the (declining) userbase to find workarounds. If you tried the nVidia control panel fix (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?138058-Possible-FIX-for-SHOGUN-GOLD-WARLORD-GRAPHIC-ISSUES-on-8xxx-amp-9xxx-Nvidia-Cards), maybe adjusting some of the settings slightly differently will work with your particular setup. When you say "map lagging", is this on the battle or campaign map? Do you have Vista 32-bit or 64-bit?

Strategy_gamer
01-12-2012, 02:57
OK, you've got a problem. The 8xxx and 9xxx series from Nvidia are known to cause problems, and in most cases there's nothing to do about it, unfortunately. Had your primary gaming comp been a desktop, you could have replaced the 9600 with an older card, but since it is a laptop...

Now, on your old desktop the game plays fine, but the loud noise indicates a fan issue, and it could be overheating (which is not to be ignored). My personal recommendation would actually be to get rid of it and buy a newer desktop comp - something from 2003 to 2006 is a good range to aim for. That's my solution, as I too had too many problems running MTW on my main rig. I play on a secondary: P4 3,2/2 Gig RAM/Win Xp/ATI X1900XT 512 Mb. Works like a charm! Drivers are also important, however, so it's better if the graphics card is not too new so as to be incompatible with older drivers.

That kind of comp shouldn't set you back more than 80$ or 70 Euros. Perhaps pricey for one old game? You decide.
Hi Durango!:bow:
I think i will try change the fan,yesterday showed me the checksum error and maybe need to change and battery of motherboard also…

Welcome to the Org, Strategy_gamer! ~:wave:

After all this time, I think it's safe to say that CA/Activision/Sega will not be releasing a patch for the game, it will be up to the (declining) userbase to find workarounds. If you tried the nVidia control panel fix (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?138058-Possible-FIX-for-SHOGUN-GOLD-WARLORD-GRAPHIC-ISSUES-on-8xxx-amp-9xxx-Nvidia-Cards), maybe adjusting some of the settings slightly differently will work with your particular setup. When you say "map lagging", is this on the battle or campaign map? Do you have Vista 32-bit or 64-bit?
Hello drone!:bow:
I tried the possible fix but with no result,for map lagging I mean this on campaign map,also I have
vista 32-bit.

Plato
01-12-2012, 15:44
Just to echo Durango's advice to look at the fans first. Excluding any in the case, there are three to examine to see if it's just one causing the problem: on the processor, on the graphics card and on the northbridge (on the motherboard) - the last two might only have heatsinks and no fan. Oh, and there's also the PSU to check.

Most generic cooling systems of that vintage just had the fan screwed onto the heatsink, but do double check first. Replacement fans are cheap - just match the size and voltage. If you go for really cheap they might not have connectors on them; then it's a matter of trimming wires and joining them together. And pointing the thing in the right direction.

The very short-term solution would be to use carefully a vacuum cleaner to remove as much dust as possible, then take a cotton bud to the fan blades before spraying some lubricant into the fan bearing - that should quieten things down for maybe six months.

drone
01-12-2012, 20:54
Definitely clean out the old PC if you haven't in a while, dust and pet hair can cause serious problems over time. Open up the case and power it on, that way you can verify all the fans are working properly and might be able to isolate which one is making the most noise. Power down, and vacuum out the dust, or blow it out with compressed air (but don't let the fan blades spin, you can generate back current via the fan motor). Clear any air vents in the case.

On the campaign map lag, I'm not sure I've heard of that problem before. Is the game unresponsive when clicking on pieces/provinces, or just panning around the map?

Stazi
01-12-2012, 23:51
..i have an old pc tower(AMD athlon 1Ghz,128 RAM.Ati rage 128 pro vga) 11 years old there plays perfectly..
Ooh man, that reminds me of my first job. I was so eager to fight that even my ancient pc (win 98, Pentium MMX 233MHz, 192mb ram, 3dfx VooDoo3 16mb) wasn't able to discourage me. MTW run about 5 fps but active pause was all I needed. Yeah, it was a great time. You definitely should change the fan and battery in your old pc. It's the cheapest and fastest method to get back to MTW. Forget your laptop. As Durango wrote rigs with nvidia 8xxx and 9xxx are hopeless. Wish you luck!:2thumbsup:

drone
01-13-2012, 00:19
It's been a while Stazi, welcome back!. :bow:

Durango
01-13-2012, 11:40
Hello Stazi.

RRMike
01-14-2012, 00:22
Ooh man, that reminds me of my first job. I was so eager to fight that even my ancient pc (win 98, Pentium MMX 233MHz, 192mb ram, 3dfx VooDoo3 16mb) wasn't able to discourage me. MTW run about 5 fps but active pause was all I needed. Yeah, it was a great time. You definitely should change the fan and battery in your old pc. It's the cheapest and fastest method to get back to MTW. Forget your laptop. As Durango wrote rigs with nvidia 8xxx and 9xxx are hopeless. Wish you luck!:2thumbsup:

Mine had the 300MHz but I only upgraded the original 64mb of ram to 128. I did have a vodoo banshee card though!

Stazi
01-14-2012, 17:45
drone, Durango, RRMike nice to see you too, guys. Thanks for the warm welcome.:bow: