PDA

View Full Version : New on org, player ever since existed shogun

daigaku
03-24-2012, 13:07
Hi, friends of the best games ever,
after having read here for years its time to join in.
thanx to all here giving advice and help to a game bein so old and still being played....
have fun,
daigaku

InsaneApache
03-24-2012, 14:03
Welcome daigaku. I have to say that getting the demo of the original STW literally changed my life. I still play other games but no where near as much as the TW series.

daigaku
03-25-2012, 17:05
Hi, InsaneApache,
thanks for the welcome. Same for me, and only the "outdated" ones, S:TW/MI and M:TW/VI. Tried Rome, didn´t like the look and feel and simply stuck to the best :-)
Greetings to all, daigaku

Andres
03-25-2012, 22:17
Welcome daigaku ~:wave:

I started my TW "career" with M:TW and I absolutely loved the game. To me, it's the Risk style campaign map that make those older titles so adorable. Contrary to you, I did enjoy R:TW and M2:TW. Didn't play Empire or Napoleon, because I don't like the gunpowder era.

Did you ever give Shogun II a try?

Martok
03-26-2012, 11:11
Welcome to the Org, daigaku! From one TW "traditionalist" to another, I salute you. :bow:

daigaku
03-26-2012, 12:10
Hi there,
thanks for the kind welcome here.

Andres: No, ´cause I fear they didn´t change the game engine since Rome, and it was this I didn´t like at all....

Martok: :-) Traditionalist not only concerning TW-Games - being born ´58 still "letting my freak flag fly" and mainly listening to music from `tween ´68 and´76.....and some Bach, of course ;-)

Again thanks to all the work being amassed here, helped me with quite some games/factions!

Greetings from Blackforest/SW Germany,

Daigaku

Ornelas
04-05-2012, 01:59
Just getting that first post thing out of the way...

Andres
04-05-2012, 08:45
Welcome Ornelas ~:wave:

Peasant Phill
04-05-2012, 11:14
Welcome Ornelas,

Anything particular you're looking for?

Veles Shadow
04-09-2012, 12:01
Hi, InsaneApache,
thanks for the welcome. Same for me, and only the "outdated" ones, S:TW/MI and M:TW/VI. Tried Rome, didn´t like the look and feel and simply stuck to the best :-)
Greetings to all, daigaku
Rome, MTW and M2TW are my favorites. I didn't like the new look that Empire gave... there seemed to be too much going on.
Been playing Rome since 2005, and still play it on occasion now. Welcome to the Org! :)

daigaku
04-22-2012, 17:20
Hi, JacoDash,

sorry for the late reply, was busy in the Redux-region ;-)

-Rome, M2TW: How do you feel about the difference in the engines? As you play MTW as well, but like the later ones more, I´d be interested for which reasons? For me, the "original" gameplay was, by Strategie`s means, so much better - after the first few tries with Rome I didn´t bother any more about the newer games...

Greetings from Markgräflerland,
daigaku

Jack50
04-25-2012, 02:21
Hello Daigaku!

I come here from M2:TW; I just received M:TW on 24/4/12 or April 4th,2012 for us americans:yes: Anyway I have like 2 hours of M:TW under my belt (so to speak). M:TW is 20 times better than M2:TW! The graphics are crisp, and some of the building of your country is easier to understand. Really that is all! M:TW the way the 3D battlefield has more variety is so much better. The number of Generals/Captains and the fact that they may just want to start their own country is sweet! I am so happy that I followed up on what people were saying here about M:TW. Can't thank everyone enough! Oh and I like others don't care for the gunpowder eras, give me spear and bow!!

daigaku
04-25-2012, 07:12
Hi Jack50,

Right you are! M:TW for many people is still the best ever of all TW - series game - for the reasons (and some more) you like it.

Gunpowder: I never bother with units using it. Only building the Gunpowder Buildings for the ships needing them. Else I keep hiring Mercenary Longbows for ranged warfare.

You´ll find a wealth of info and great people willing to help with difficulties here - so keep playin´ and poppin´in here from time to time, okay?!?

Greetings from "Wild Southwest" germany

daigaku

Peasant Phill
04-25-2012, 11:07
Jack50, did you also get Viking invasion?
If so, there are some great mods once you have a few vanilla games under your belt.

daigaku
04-25-2012, 15:54
Hi, Peasant Phill

Jack50, did you also get Viking invasion?
If so, there are some great mods once you have a few vanilla games under your belt.

;-) Don´t drown him in enthousiasm - that will come all by itself, all by itself...;-) and think, for me it took ten years to start with MODs !

happy greetings

daigaku

Jack50
04-26-2012, 04:06
Peasant Phill

Yes got the Mastertronic Gold Edition which as you may know has both M:TW and the VI expansion so I can play my Hungarians! WOOT:speechless: I have spent only about 4 hours on the game, had one freeze up after about 25-30 turns. Just playing around with it but do have some questions. I am looking forward to the mods as that was what made M2:TW bearable for me:sweatdrop:

daigaku
04-27-2012, 01:39
Hi, Peasant Phill,

heb even uitgevonden dat je uit nederland komst. Heb die taal voor iets as 20 jaaren niet meer geschreven/gepraat, maar is´t leuk even weer aan te denken ;-))

daag, daigaku

Peasant Phill
04-27-2012, 11:21
daigaku

Actually, I'm from Belgium but I can't act offended now or I'll get all the Dutch after me :wink:
That Dutch is really good for you not having spoken/writing it for 20 years.

daigaku
04-27-2012, 21:42
Hi, Peasant Phill,

iirc it was ´83/´84 I was living in Tilburg/Brabant for more than a year - not so far from Flandern(?), so maybe even the dialect you speak is familiar to me ;-)

greetings daigaku

Peasant Phill
04-28-2012, 12:14
Hi, Peasant Phill,

iirc it was ´83/´84 I was living in Tilburg/Brabant for more than a year - not so far from Flandern(?), so maybe even the dialect you speak is familiar to me ;-)

greetings daigaku

I'm from West-Flanders, so I'm afraid you wouldn't understand a thing if I would speak nothing but my local dialect.
'83, that's a good year for wine and staff members of fan sites :wink:

daigaku
04-29-2012, 12:53
Hi Peasant Phill,

I'm from West-Flanders, so I'm afraid you wouldn't understand a thing if I would speak nothing but my local dialect.
:wink:

zo dit Flaams uit jou buurt(?) is heel anders als het Brabants? `k dacht die zijn naar in dialekt....

daag, daigaku

Peasant Phill
04-29-2012, 13:18
Kpeis daje gie nie veel chance zoe ebbn om mie e verstoan ze.
enk ben ton nog nie begonn met lokoale uitdrukingn

daigaku
04-29-2012, 13:50
Hi,

Kpeis daje gie nie veel chance zoe ebbn om mie e verstoan ze.
enk ben ton nog nie begonn met lokoale uitdrukingn

okay. voor "buiten oefening" dit is te veel, oftewel ik ´n deel versta - maar laat´s praten/schreuven voor een week of zo, dan krijg ik de lijn voor je dialekt ;-)

houdoe(?), daigaku

Andres
04-30-2012, 21:49
Oh, je spreekt Nederlands! Super :2thumbsup:

daigaku
05-05-2012, 15:15
Hoi, Andres,

...´n beetje is gebleven van voor 25 jaar, en ´t is leuk het in´t forum ietsje te oefenen ;-)

tot later, daigaku

Servilius Novus
05-05-2012, 20:37
Hi daigaku :medievalcheers:

Just would like to thank you for introducing me one of my best games, the good ol' MTW :iloveyou:

Now I'm thinking about starting a new campaign as Hungary (since I am a hungarian too :hungary: :D). Do you have any stories or experiences regarding Hungary (Game or IRL)? ;)

daigaku
05-06-2012, 00:32
Hi, Servilius Novus,

I´m happy you like it! Another one hooked to the One-And-Only-Best-Ever-Game ;-))

Hungary: If I want some challenge, contrary to my usual gameplay (slow, building up, keeping out of troubles), I start a hungarian game (v.2.01/VI!). Love them for the Szekely, and if you´re fast enough to grab Moldavia you get one of (in my opinion) the best Cav in the game, Avar Nobles, with low requirements, not too high cost and upkeep, but quite good stats (iirc morale 8!). You´ll have the chance to take Venice as well very early (there is a guide about that somewhere, don´t remember exactly where) and have a decent income. Everything else depends - Polish, Germans, Italians and of course the Byz, all want to spend holidays in this beautiful country ;-)) so you´ll have to fight for it!

IRL haven´t been there, am addicted to Greece for 33 years meanwhile and take my time there ;-)) sorry for that.....

Wish you good fights, and change history a bit in favour for the Hungarians!

greetings from Markgräflerland, daigaku

Servilius Novus
05-07-2012, 21:03
1258 - Byzantines are officially out of history, the Hungarian Empire stretches from Croatia to Kiev, from Bratislava to Constantinople. Also the world is amazed by the cultural and social progress Hungary has made over the past 150 years, being the most advanced and wealthiest nation in Europe (though if I remember correctly the Mameluks are wealthier) ;)

daigaku
05-07-2012, 23:53
Hi, Servilius Novus,

GREAT!! Sounds like a good base to go for the "rest" ;-)) are you playing Domination or Glorious Achievments? For GA that could be enough regions already and you could "start" to build up every single province and then pick among the other regions the ones you like - for special units, riches or whatever ;-)) and keep an eye on sea regions - don´t let anybody surprise you by naval attack!
How did you handle the Golden Horde?? Or are you - friends?!?

curious greetings daigaku

Servilius Novus
05-08-2012, 16:03
daigaku

I'm playing Domination but I don't want to rule the world, it just seems unrealistic to me (well as if hungarian soldiers marching in Constantinople was realistic ~D), I guess next might be Poland, the Holy Roman Empire, Venice, or the Crimean peninsula. As for the mongols, we are just neutral, which is really odd, since Hungary suffered the most during her history from the mongols in that era :skull::skull::skull:

daigaku
05-08-2012, 18:40
Hi, Servilius Novus,

were the Byz still existing the moment the Horde arrived? Had you been at war with them when the Horde attacked them? That could have been it for them to keep neutrality towards you.

1258, and the HRE still exists? In most of my games, at this time they had their first respawn(?!?), being reduced to a mere nothing...

IIRC, if you go for Poland, you can recruit Polish Retainers as Hungarian - maybe worth a look; they can´t compete with Chivalric Knights, but for those you´ve got your Szekely and Avar Nobles ;-))

wish you good luck, and don´t let the Horde get too strong,

greetings daigaku

Tsar Alexsandr
05-28-2012, 06:17
I have such fond memories of both Shogun Total War and the Original MTW. Glad to see you've joined the org. :D

daigaku
05-28-2012, 10:55
Hi Tsar Alexandr,

...first moment thought you´re Greek (Athens!), but the "MI"-bit didn´t fit in there ;-))

For me, memories are not far away - last night, to be correct, playing REDUX 1003 as the Norse at the moment.

greetings daigaku