PDA

View Full Version : I've been altering Viking Invasion

Grisham
05-28-2012, 02:40
Hi, Last weekend I was finally able to get Viking Invasion working on my Windows 7, so this weeked I decided to make some modifications. But the only thing that still gets my goat is I can't figure out how to make Scotland playable. I figured I'd use the coding from the viking period for the early period - turned the Scots' color brown (used the picts color) and I thought I had everything set up, but when I played the english for a test run (because Scots wasn't showing up on the list) the game would just crash during the first move. I searched online but couldn't find any info on a successful Scots transfer. Does any one here know how I could do this? I wouldn't mind doing the same for Ireland and Portugal.

Some of the other modifications I made were correcting some of the errors, such as: changing Houseculars to VikingHuscarles, made Novgorod a playable faction, changed the spearmen in the russian area from Spearmen to RussSpearmen, added offices for the people of novgorod, added more tradable goods/resources throughout the map, and altered a few of the land titles, etc. But all of this is just a start. It would be nice if I can get Scotland playable at the very least.

Cheers!

daigaku
05-28-2012, 11:06
Hi Grisham,

seems to be an ambitious project, altogether. For avoiding those crashes, I think there are a few editing tools around here. Had quite some problems myself (in the main campaign) turning the Danes to Pagans and limiting their access to all this chivalric stuff - iirc, it took me about two weeks to get everything running smooth. Wish you success, and great battles!

daigaku

drone
05-28-2012, 14:15
Welcome to the Org, Grisham! ~:wave:

In the main vanilla campaign, Scotland is actually controlled by the Rebel faction, which controls all the rebels in the game. Creating new factions (as opposed to modifying an existing one) in MTW isn't difficult, but it requires changes to many files. Download starkhorn's guide (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=166&id=785) (PDF file) for adding factions, this should get you started.

Grisham
05-30-2012, 23:33
Thanks guys, this is exactly what I've been looking for! The first new faction I put together was the Saxons. I'm still learning the process of course so I'll keep you guys updated. However, I can't seem to get the tool program working (the one from gnome). It just doesn't seem to want to work, so I can't change the faction leader from "highlander" to "early royal knights". Maybe it only reads the early period and not the Saxon mod?

drone
05-31-2012, 01:32
For clarification, are you trying to mod the VI campaign (British Isles + Vikings) or the main (Eurasian) campaign?

Grisham
05-31-2012, 09:48
For clarification, are you trying to mod the VI campaign (British Isles + Vikings) or the main (Eurasian) campaign?

The main Eurasian campaign. And I finally figured out the program. What I had to do was carry my Saxon mod info into the Early Period file (which was what I wanted anyway) and now it reads everything, and was able to change the faction leader to the early royal knights, but now I'm thinking of changing it again to the Viking Raid Calvary, but then again I don't want to press my luck. :) I finished adding the Saxon names and altered the color scheme a little. Used the Picts brown with black background color. They seem to work well together.

I also added in the Scots (yay!) but haven't messed around with the names yet. I'll probably get around to doing that tomorrow, I'm sure the game already has the Scot names available.

daigaku
06-05-2012, 19:40
Hi Grisham,

how are your alterations going? Are you playing already or still modding? The scottish names should be available under the rebel names.

curious greetings, daigaku

LordK9
06-29-2012, 04:17
I'm not a modder so could be way off but, since the Scots are playable in VI already (in the Viking era), couldn't you use those name files?