PDA

View Full Version : Seeking a collaboration of video producers

Tomisama
05-30-2012, 19:15
This was originally written as an invitation to only those who presented videos for the Org contest this month. But being that they all may not be able to participate, and there may be others in the community who were not able to submit entries to the Org contest, who would be. I am providing the following as an open invitation to any interested in having their names in the credits, to participate in a community project to produce a promotional video.

Seeking a collaboration of video producers

Frankly, I have a crazy idea, and I want you to be a part of it.

I am sending this invitation out to all of those who presented entries in the latest Org contest, seeking to capitalize on your interest and skills in video production. And I need all seven, so don’t think that you are in any way unimportant to this project. Here’s the deal.

I run a community contest operation called the Clan Wars Competition. The CWC has been providing multiplayer team contests to Total War Clans for almost ten years now. I would like to produce a promotional video to show the action and excitement involved in these games, hoping to encourage more interest and participation.

Because you have already experienced what is involved in production from replays, and know how difficult and arduous a task it can be, you will understand that to produce anything with significant content can take many hours of sometimes frustrating labor.

To complicate matters imagine trying to make a video involving six armies, fighting in an intricate battle over rough terrain, lasting over an hour. To do this properly, the task for one person (at least this person), would be considerably overwhelming, and why I am reaching out for help. My thought being that if each of you would contribute a specific portion that the job could be done without a major commitment of time and energy by any one person.

What is involved? I have a replay of one of the first one hundred battles fought in the Clan Wars Fall of the Samurai 3v3 Spring 2012 competition. I have video of the one hour battle as seen on the radar, condensed to a little over four minutes, only to provide an overview (not for use in the video). I have an intended voice over script covering the battle.

I will provide the introduction, basic overview, and conclusion for the video. What I need from each of you is to take a different players perspective, both external and internal views with effects track only, approximately three hours involved total.

I will take everyone’s contribution and edit it all together and provide the narration. The music will be provided like everything else, from only the game itself.

I hope you will agree to take part in this, the involvement of many contributors is very important to this effort, as it would make it a community project (this video), for a community project (Clan Wars), done by the members of a community project (the Org). How sweet is that?

If you are not familiar with the Clan Wars competition, please visit our humble message board.

http://clanwars3540.yuku.com/

If you would like to participate in this project, now named “The Bridge to Eternity”, please send me an email, and I will provide materials and more details. Thank you!

tomisama@hotmail.com

The email is correct, but auto link here is broken. PM me here with your email, and I will contact you. Thanks!

Gregoshi
05-30-2012, 20:06
I like this idea. :2thumbsup:

Peasant Phill
05-30-2012, 20:58
Have you asked help on the other sites?

Tomisama
05-31-2012, 00:58
Have you asked help on the other sites?
No I haven’t, and really don’t intend to.

My experience with presenting new ideas on other community forums over the years, has been less than satisfactory (as nicely as I can put it).

The successful completion of this project requires a certain amount of dedication and attention to detail.

There will considerable amount of time and effort involved overall, and none to be waste on wise-guys, hecklers, and want-a-be no-shows.

Org patrons generally display a more mature sensibility, and are respectful of those trying to make a difference.

No; this is the place to really get things done, if they can be done anywhere at all.

Maltz
06-05-2012, 03:17
Ops sorry I just saw the personal message.
The project sounds great. Video editors' style and preference differ, so the resulting product is going to be rich and diverse.
Personally I am just a starter in video making, but I will be happy to take part in this. I do not have FOTS but I think this project is enough motivation for me to buy it.
Quick questions:
- Is there a reason that this particular battle is chosen?
- How long is going to be resulting video and everyone's cut roughly?
- Where will it be used?
Thanks very much.

By the way, I do not play MP at all but I have often heard about CWC in clan Long's forum. Is this the same CWC? If so, I know a few people there who can make really high quality videos. Maybe I can ask for their interests (esp. if the video involves their clan)?

Also, I have uploaded about 1.5 dozens of videos on youku (captions in Chinese). Welcome to take a look at the more recent videos. http://u.youku.com/maltzXD

Tomisama
06-05-2012, 15:49
Quick Answers :wink:

1- Is there a reason that this particular battle is chosen?

It was chosen because it displays intense diverse action, that is still easy to follow, and that easily lends itself to a story line.

2- How long is going to be resulting video and everyone's cut roughly?

The final result will be less than ten minutes.

Each independent producer will be assigned one faction’s action to cover, up close and personal.

Using the narration script and radar over view of the battle, each is requested to record the events that they judge most important as they relate to their assigned faction’s part of the story.

Let me add at this point that what I am looking for is cuts-only raw-footage; that means shooting twice as long as you think you should on a particular shot, with no transition effects.

Because of logistic restrictions, your individual contributions will have to be less than ten minutes total.

And because only clips of that will be used, I am expecting that only one to three minutes of any one co-producer will be in the final cut.

3- Where will it be used?

The finished production will be distributed community wide (the whole world) and have permanent residence at Clan Wars.

4- Is this the same CWC?

Yes, and the same Clan LONG has been providing winning teams for our competition for many years.

5- if the video involves their clan?

Please understand that the objective here is raise up multiplayer as a team sport.

Like Clan Wars itself, it is not about any individual Clan or person, but about teamwork and community, so we won’t be saying anything about who did the actual fighting, as that has been done.

We will however be honoring those who contributed to this production and any Clan that they may belong to in the credits at the end :beam:

Maltz
06-05-2012, 20:15
Thanks for the response. I will send you an email.

Tomisama
06-08-2012, 01:09
http://youtu.be/NpI96zxpYU4

I am posting a preliminary opening for this project in hopes to attract some more co-producers, and hope I don’t scare any away :smile:

Maltz
06-08-2012, 04:06
Neat trailer! :on_thumbup: Look forward to this project very much.

Peasant Phill
06-08-2012, 11:20
I've put an announcement for this on the front page.

Tomisama
06-18-2012, 15:41
When first posting this thread, I never anticipated that the reason that the proposal would fail (as crazy as it was) would be the lack of ownership of the Fall of the Samurai expansion, and that being caused by the lack of interest in firearm combat, but it is true.

I did go ahead and make a condensed version of what I had in mind anyway, my hope is you will find it inspiring, or at least interesting. Please enjoy, A Bridge To Eternity!

http://youtu.be/GZke23FdC1A

Maltz
06-18-2012, 22:12
Thanks for the great work!

Personally I haven't bought FOTS because there are still many Shogun 2 and ROTS experience to explore. I did have a late start in Shogun 2 (about 10 months after its release). Yet I noticed that nowadays new games seem to have short shelf-lives probably because there are more great games coming out at the same time.

Another possible factor is that "the rise of TWC" centered around the gunpowder age of the TW series, and patrons who remain on the ORG were attracted to older weaponry. There may be more interests if the video is based on the original Shogun 2.