PDA

View Full Version : Advice for best screenshots, please

Cyprian2
11-03-2013, 22:17
Having taken many, many screenshots in my MTW career -- usually with the F2 function or else print screen and paste -- I'm wondering what are the optimal settings/programs to take excellent MTW screens?

Is it worth using command lines such as the -ian switch for zooming in?

Please advise!

Axalon
11-04-2013, 01:48
"Aha! Something interesting to discuss in the MTW-section!"

Photoshop is without question my best friend/tool in editing
screens... I don't use much else...

- A

Stazi
11-04-2013, 12:48
Having taken many, many screenshots in my MTW career -- usually with the F2 function or else print screen and paste -- I'm wondering what are the optimal settings/programs to take excellent MTW screens?
I think F2 is enough (images look 1:1 that I see in game) but I occasionally use Fraps too. It can take screens in bmp, jpg and png formats.
Image editing is another story. PS is surely the best but there are a lot of free editors with enough functionality for simple tasks.

Is it worth using command lines such as the -ian switch for zooming in?

Please advise!
It's up to you. You want the whole battle on one screen? You go -ian and zoom out. IMO zooming in is rarely a good idea due to the low resolution sprites and textures.

Cyprian2
11-04-2013, 16:39
"Aha! Something interesting to discuss in the MTW-section!"

Photoshop is without question my best friend/tool in editing
screens... I don't use much else...

Thanks, A. Yeah, I just installed photoshop, so I'll be using it in future rather than just Paint.

I think F2 is enough (images look 1:1 that I see in game) but I occasionally use Fraps too. It can take screens in bmp, jpg and png formats.
It's up to you. You want the whole battle on one screen? You go -ian and zoom out. IMO zooming in is rarely a good idea due to the low resolution sprites and textures.

Thanks, Stazi. For some reason, I am partial to PNG, though it may not be the best for posting on forums. I don't have Fraps, so maybe I should look into it. Irfanview is a great tool for converting photo files -- you get to choose from about a dozen, but I have no idea what half of them are.

-ian certainly does some neat things. Closeup can look good, or really sloppy, depending. Of course, the graphics in MTW were never intended for total zoom... But I might play around with it anyway to see if I can get some neat effects.

Thanks again, guys, for your input. :bow: