PDA

View Full Version : System install for EB Day

HFox
07-27-2014, 20:55
Hi

Not that I am going to install and play as soon as released ;) but.......what should we have installed, patched and ready as the base installation for this mod?

Mithridates VI Eupator
07-27-2014, 22:22
M2TW Kingdoms, patch 1.5.

Gneisenau
07-28-2014, 16:41
Not that I am going to install and play as soon as released

sure?? i'm going to give my mobile number to Tux or Brennus so they can call me one minute before the release! ahhahaha

QuintusSertorius
07-28-2014, 19:06

And for the love of all that is holy, don't install the game in Program Files.

gstephenopolous
07-28-2014, 21:02
Have tests been done with the recent M2TW patch (yes, recent :dizzy2:) integrating it into Steamworks?

BTW, if you don't know, you can now register your retail RTW/M2TW cd-key with Steam.

Maeran
07-31-2014, 17:14
I've read that that new patch plays merry hell with the file system, probably breaking the mod.

Ca Putt
07-31-2014, 17:23
wa wa wa whaaaat? a new Patch for Medieval 2 total war??!?!? link plz

Excuse my net-talk, but this did baffle me quite a bit.

Anyway I'd like to second gstephenopolous' question: is there any word on Steam compability, aside from "we're working on it"?

Arjos
07-31-2014, 17:51
a new Patch for Medieval 2 total war??!?!? link plz

Gamespy is kaput, so CA patched (http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/132208-) to enable multiplayer via steam...

gstephenopolous
07-31-2014, 19:51
Here's a procedure for using mods under the new patch.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/132407-MEDIEVAL-II-%E2%80%93-How-to-run-mods-after-22-07-2014-update?

gstephenopolous
08-01-2014, 19:53
Here's a procedure for using mods under the new patch.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/132407-MEDIEVAL-II-%E2%80%93-How-to-run-mods-after-22-07-2014-update?

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/133011-Hotfix-01-08-2014?

New patch hotfix...

Dutchhoplite
08-02-2014, 09:45
I'm confused...The new patch is for steam users??

Tux
08-02-2014, 11:16
I'm confused...The new patch is for steam users??
Yes, only for steam.

QuintusSertorius
08-02-2014, 12:27
If you aren't bothered about multiplayer, avoid Steam like the plague. The non-Steam version works perfectly with no issues whatsoever, and no problems patching.

If you must have multiplayer, then you're stuck with Steam and the half-fixed/unfinished patching that's still being tinkered with as we speak.

Marcus F
08-03-2014, 09:04
The Kingdoms 1.5 patch makes the game unplayable for me on my computer (apparently it is a windows 7 thing that causes it). i have spent the last 6 hours trying to make the 1.5 patch work on my computer in preparation for EBII but to no avail. The 1.4 version works fine but not the 1.5.

my question is will it be possible to play EBII on kingdoms 1.4?

QuintusSertorius
08-03-2014, 09:27
The Kingdoms 1.5 patch makes the game unplayable for me on my computer (apparently it is a windows 7 thing that causes it). i have spent the last 6 hours trying to make the 1.5 patch work on my computer in preparation for EBII but to no avail. The 1.4 version works fine but not the 1.5.

my question is will it be possible to play EBII on kingdoms 1.4?

I'm running Win7 and it patched just fine. Are you using the Steam or non-Steam version, that's the critical thing.

EBII won't work on 1.4, there were all sorts of important changes made with 1.5 that it uses.

Marcus F
08-03-2014, 09:46
Its the non - steam user version, i just cant get it to work. i have checked a lot of forms and many pple have had the same issue. i know this isn't the right form but but any help with installing 1.5 would be much appreciated.

been a long time fan of EB and EBII and I really want to play EBII when it is released

Cheers

QuintusSertorius
08-03-2014, 10:58
Its the non - steam user version, i just cant get it to work. i have checked a lot of forms and many pple have had the same issue. i know this isn't the right form but but any help with installing 1.5 would be much appreciated.

been a long time fan of EB and EBII and I really want to play EBII when it is released

Cheers

I'm a non-Steam Win7 user. Where is your game installed? Did you commit the cardinal sin of installing it in Program Files? Do you have UAC active?

I didn't install it in Program Files (it's on D:\M2TW\), and I disabled UAC a long time ago. All I did was install M2TW Gold, then Kingdoms, then the patch. Do you have Gold or something else? Did you get the right patch?

Marcus F
08-03-2014, 12:40
- No didnt install into program files.
- UAC is disabled
- I have Gold and I downloaded the Kingdoms 1.5 UK patch (I believe it is the correct region)

I have done what you have explained above and i am able to install the kingdoms 1.5 patch but when i go to play a Kingdoms expansion it says, error, i have the wrong disc (and i don't, i have tried both disks. Alot of pple seem to have this issue and i cant figure out why it is happening).

Its weird

Chrissher
08-03-2014, 20:21
Will it work with multiplayer patched steam kingdoms?

QuintusSertorius
08-03-2014, 21:01
Will it work with multiplayer patched steam kingdoms?

No one knows yet, the patch is half-arsed piece of crap that they're still tinkering with.

fallen851
08-04-2014, 04:54
No one knows yet, the patch is half-arsed piece of crap that they're still tinkering with.

The patch, or Rome 2?

Or both?

CA is just pumping out quality work.

Kull
08-04-2014, 20:35
- UAC is disabled
- I have Gold and I downloaded the Kingdoms 1.5 UK patch (I believe it is the correct region)

I have done what you have explained above and i am able to install the kingdoms 1.5 patch but when i go to play a Kingdoms expansion it says, error, i have the wrong disc (and i don't, i have tried both disks. Alot of pple seem to have this issue and i cant figure out why it is happening).

Its weird

Go to the M2TW technical help forums at the Org and TWC, read up on similar issues and how they were solved and try those. If still no luck, post to see if somebody will help you. Unfortunately this is a common problem and you will not be able to play EB2 until your system is updated to 1.05.

Chrissher
08-05-2014, 16:47
And for the love of all that is holy, don't install the game in Program Files.
Why? I have EB 1 installed there and nothing bad happens and besides I'm going to have to install it in program files because I have kingdoms on steam only (Athough M2TW on disc)

Chrissher
08-05-2014, 16:48
Have tests been done with the recent M2TW patch (yes, recent :dizzy2:) integrating it into Steamworks?

BTW, if you don't know, you can now register your retail RTW/M2TW cd-key with Steam.
I know I didn't have kingdoms until I registered my CD Key with steam (If you put your M2TW CD key in it gives you the steam copy instead of patching the disc copy and it has kingdoms with it even though you only put your M2TW CD key in)

Chrissher
08-05-2014, 16:50
If it doesn't I will have to get disc kingdoms. I MUST PLAY EBII

Alcibiade
08-05-2014, 17:45
I know I didn't have kingdoms until I registered my CD Key with steam (If you put your M2TW CD key in it gives you the steam copy instead of patching the disc copy and it has kingdoms with it even though you only put your M2TW CD key in)

How do you do that ? Add a game in the library on steam and just enter the serial number of your retail version ?

Marcus F : did you try to launch kingdom trough the launcher.exe ? Cause the kingdom.exe is not a standalone and thus it can't be used to launch the game (I know how stupid it sounds).

Frankly, this M2TW launcher is a mess. I just bought another non-steam version of M2TW on Gamersgate for 4 euros in order to install it on another computer and I have this "an unhandled exception has occurred in your application" error message everytime I use it :wall:

Since I started playing other games than TW I realised how easy a game installation could be....

QuintusSertorius
08-05-2014, 18:01
Why? I have EB 1 installed there and nothing bad happens and besides I'm going to have to install it in program files because I have kingdoms on steam only (Athough M2TW on disc)

Because UAC is even more paranoid and annoying with anything installed there. It's bad file management; games should be installed safely away from your everyday applications so you can format your OS (which will mean reinstalling all your apps anyway, so they might as well be there) without losing your games and other data.

If it doesn't I will have to get disc kingdoms. I MUST PLAY EBII

If you can afford to, you'll spare yourself a lot of hassle and unknowns down the line if you just get an offline version of Kingdoms.

Ozonius Tomicus
08-08-2014, 05:11
Perhaps I have just missed it but is there a sticky or part of the FAQ that furnishes links for all of the minimum required patches?

Seems like it would be nice for folks to have a source for patches which have the blessings of the team, and which is posted prominently in the days leading up to launch.

QuintusSertorius
08-08-2014, 09:48
Perhaps I have just missed it but is there a sticky or part of the FAQ that furnishes links for all of the minimum required patches?

Seems like it would be nice for folks to have a source for patches which have the blessings of the team, and which is posted prominently in the days leading up to launch.

It's been said time and again in various topics, you need Kingdoms patched up to 1.05.

Kull
08-08-2014, 19:29
It's been said time and again in various topics, you need Kingdoms patched up to 1.05.

Agreed that we've said this 100 times, but I just checked the FAQ and we did NOT (until moments ago) state that you needed the 1.05 patch. So thanks for the reminder!

Thoras
08-08-2014, 21:44
I have Gold
But isn' the latest patch already included in the gold version... at least it was for me.

joshmahurin
08-08-2014, 22:10
I don't know about M2 but I know RTW golds were frequently not patched properly

QuintusSertorius
08-08-2014, 22:59
But isn' the latest patch already included in the gold version... at least it was for me.

No, Gold is only patched to v1.04, you have to download the v1.05 patch.

Lindorn
08-11-2014, 02:41
Has anyone tried just reverting the patch to 1.04 in steam to see if it would work? It sounds like it's just generally better to avoid the steam version. What are everyones thoughts on that? What is the optimal action path here.

I was about to buy it on steam, but if you guys think that's a poor call I'll do something else.

Jormungand
08-11-2014, 04:13
I was about to buy it on steam, but if you guys think that's a poor call I'll do something else.

Waiiiiiiiiiit!!! It's currently 75% off at Gamersgate.

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-M2TW/medieval-2-total-war-collection

QuintusSertorius
08-11-2014, 09:19
Has anyone tried just reverting the patch to 1.04 in steam to see if it would work? It sounds like it's just generally better to avoid the steam version. What are everyones thoughts on that? What is the optimal action path here.

There are some significant fixes in v1.05, and EBII is based on it too. It won't work on 1.04, Kull and others have confirmed this.

Avoid the Steam version; if you can get an offline retail version, get that instead. Bear in mind the Steam version is still being "fixed" as we speak, and may not actually be ready in time for EBII or even at all.

Lindorn
08-11-2014, 17:46
You guys rock thanks for the context. I'll pick up a copy from the link you provided.

Moros
08-11-2014, 22:45
Avoid the Steam version; if you can get an offline retail version, get that instead. Bear in mind the Steam version is still being "fixed" as we speak, and may not actually be ready in time for EBII or even at all.
I have had no single problem running EBII with the steam update. (unless I created the problems myself)

Lindorn
08-12-2014, 04:33
Uh OK I got a new copy from gamers gate. How do I overcome the fact that it's asking me for a disk. (What's a disk?)

Jormungand
08-12-2014, 05:29
Uh OK I got a new copy from gamers gate. How do I overcome the fact that it's asking me for a disk. (What's a disk?)

Not sure why that happened, but there was a solution for that on their forums. http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/gametutor?issue=86841

Lindorn
08-12-2014, 07:11
Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately that solution didn't really work. I'm still trying some other things. Someone else on the forums said it might be because I haven't patched up. I tried downloading the 1.5 patch and it says no previous version of M2TW is detected (I installed the game in C:/SEGA as you guys instructed above.

No idea what's going on here :p

V.T. Marvin
08-12-2014, 13:18
Try first patching the game to 1.4 and only then to 1.5.

Lindorn
08-12-2014, 17:15
I got the game installed and all patched up to 1.5. I'm now on the horn with Securom trying to figure out why none of the cd keys I have (yes I bought several) are working with my current install. So hopefully they get back to me soon.

I would have cracked it but none of the fixed executables worked with this installation from Gamersgate for some reason. Somehow I knew that installing this would be a gigantic pain in the ass. I guess when all is said and done I can always fall back on steam if absolutely necessary.

Skoran
08-14-2014, 12:31
Stupid question maybe: I installed kingdoms, patched it to 1.5 but in the options it says 1.05, is this normal?

RoyBaty
08-14-2014, 14:07
Stupid question maybe: I installed kingdoms, patched it to 1.5 but in the options it says 1.05, is this normal?

Yes, 1.5=1.05

Lysandros
08-19-2014, 17:38
Ok, I guess this can be read elsewhere, but I think people might have a look here due to the thread title and I further guess that many like me do already have MTW2 installed and patched, but maybe never actually tried to start the application (yes, it's actually a game playable without any mod!).

I did start the game before but hardly played it, though. Then I discovered I haven't had the most recent patch. In short: after installing the most recent version 1.5 (Gold Edition, Windows 7, 32 Bit) I was no longer able to start the game. I got a Securom message telling me I was trying to use a virtual mount or something like that. Well, I did not, but just before I got very angry I remembered the old trick of trying to start the game as an administrator - it worked. I know it's not a world-shaking discovery, but mentioning my experience might save some time for others, too.

Ludens
08-22-2014, 21:28
- UAC is disabled

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you select where to install Gold Edition?

I dusted of my old M2:TW CD, but in the install menu I'm never given the option of selecting a location (or even a disk). I goes from "License Agreement" to "Select Features you want to install" to "Press Install to start installation". This is on Windows Vista (SP2).

Lysandros
08-22-2014, 21:41
This is probably a stupid question, but how do you select where to install Gold Edition?

I dusted of my old M2:TW CD, but in the install menu I'm never given the option of selecting a location (or even a disk). I goes from "License Agreement" to "Select Features you want to install" to "Press Install to start installation". This is on Windows Vista (SP2).

No, it's not a stupid question, it's the game installer which is misleading. Just click "install" or "continue" (?) and then immediately afterwards, another install shield will follow. You then have the possibility to select a game path of your choice. I remember it happened to me as well before, it's just the strange arrangement of install shield instances.

QuintusSertorius
08-22-2014, 22:31
Indeed, I was also initially annoyed thinking it hadn't given me a choice, but it comes later in the process than I would have thought.

I put mine in D:\M2TW\

Ludens
08-23-2014, 11:30
Thanks Lysandros, thanks Quintus. I should have realized the set-up wasn't finished: it hadn't asked me for the CD key yet.

Snite
08-26-2014, 00:11
I had M2TW and Kingdoms from Steam, so I uninstalled and pulled out my old discs. I installed M2tw just fine, but when I try to install kingdoms it keeps saying all kingdoms files are installed and closes the installer, but if I try to play kingdoms it says file path not found. I've gone through and deleted everything having to do with kingdoms, it still won't install, just vanilla m2tw on here.

Lysandros
08-26-2014, 09:58
Maybe use a registry cleaner, restart and then try to install once more.

Snite
08-26-2014, 12:58
What all will a registry cleaner do? Not just pertaining to my situation, but entirely.

easytarget
08-26-2014, 13:20
Hmm, steam install, stuck EB2 in the mods directory in MTW2 directories, hit launcher and it's giving me that old favorite of cannot find medieval2.exe. Broke my install of SS6.4 w/ same error only saying can't find kingdoms.exe.

Anyone know a quick solution to the error of it not finding the main file?

It is possible to install this mod w/o using the default directory it wanted to use isn't it? It was defaulting to the wrong drive where I did not have my install of MTW2, so it just seemed obvious to steer it over where my actual install was and to put it in with the other mod directories....

Lysandros
08-26-2014, 13:27
What all will a registry cleaner do? Not just pertaining to my situation, but entirely.
Your registry is some kind of "catalogue" where the system looks for install paths, version numbers and all kinds of variables which are connected to a program installation. It usually gets bigger and bigger even when you uninstall a program as it still leaves information about the installation in the registry file, and this slows your system down and can further cause problems as - probably - the one you have, installing the same game again, and though it is a different copy, the registry file contains old information and your system cannot distinguish, at least partly, between the new and the old installation. But I don't know whether that's actually the case.
In short, a registry cleaner searches for entries in the registry file which are no longer used and thus can be deleted (and can do it for you). I hope I didn't tell you something wrong, but I think this is it pretty much. I use this one: https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER there is a free version available when you click on "download". When cleaning the registry, I'd advise to make a copy of your registry file (the cleaner will ask you) and after cleaning to do first a restart before you make another attempt to install.

You do have Kingdoms on disc, too, do you? Otherwise I can imagine it's just that Steam version doesn't like disc version. In that case I don't know what to do best.

Snite
08-26-2014, 21:28
Oh, I have CCleaner, but didn't know it by that description. I'll run it now.

Snite
08-26-2014, 21:40
And that did not work.

Lysandros
08-27-2014, 09:27
What happens if you double-click on "setup.exe" on your Kingdoms cd? Does an installer shield pop up?

HFox
09-01-2014, 17:20
Finally got around to installing

I have M2TW...NOT GOLD.....patched to 1.3......kingdoms installed....patched to 1.5......eb2 installed......

M2TW launches

Cannot launch EB2...being asked to insert MED2GOLD cd/dvd by securom.com

Have searched threads and boards and can see no work around....any constructive help?

regards

bovi
09-01-2014, 19:25
I am told that running as administrator can help with the securom crap. If that doesn't work, I don't think there are legal ways to avoid it.

HFox
09-01-2014, 19:38
Hi

Do I need to register my copy and where to obviate the securom issue??

Also noticed that version 1.3 being shown when I start M2TW....though have confirmed it is patched to 1.5

bovi
09-01-2014, 20:00
No need to register anywhere.

Just how have you confirmed that it's patched to 1.5? That version number being shown when you start the game is usually the way to confirm a successful patching - and in your case it is denying it.

HFox
09-01-2014, 21:27
When in game, selecting a menu option shows 1.3 top right corner....but trying to re apply the patch states already at version 1.5

Ludens
09-02-2014, 09:53
When in game, selecting a menu option shows 1.3 top right corner....but trying to re apply the patch states already at version 1.5

1.3 is the final patch for the base M2:TW game; 1.5 only applies to the Kingdoms' campaigns. Try opening the Britannia campaign, and check the version number.

HFox
09-02-2014, 14:36
You may be on to something.....can't open any of the kingdoms modules.....

HFox
09-05-2014, 11:32
Hi

Is this related to the demise of Gamespy and the fact I did not register the installation CD......was waiting for EB2 to appear :(

bovi
09-05-2014, 20:35
I am told that running as administrator can help with the securom crap. If that doesn't work, I don't think there are legal ways to avoid it.
Did you try this?

HFox
09-05-2014, 22:02
Unfortunately yes

bovi
09-08-2014, 21:42
With a quick google, I think I may have found a solution. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?299106-SecuROM-support-for-wrong-disc-error

Basically, you may have installed the wrong version of the 1.5 patch. Figure out which region your M2TW belongs to (find your kingdoms.exe file, right-click and choose properties, then go to Details and you will find it), uninstall the game, reinstall and then patch with the correct patch.

HFox
09-09-2014, 08:08
Hi

Thanks for the continued look out, both .exe files are English(UK)....I think the issue is the kingdoms disk is a white label.....and relied on gamespy for registering and this is no longer available. Hence the securom message

bovi
09-09-2014, 10:17
Securom has nothing to do with Gamespy. Securom compares your disc with what it expects it to look like. What it expects is stored in the exe. The 1.5 patch changes the exe, and if your patch region doesn't match your CD region, it will deny you to start the game.

HFox
09-09-2014, 13:08
kerplong......

when I downloaded from here

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?96588-Patches-M2TW-Update-1-5-1-3-amp-1-2-Download-Links

I used the 1.5 UK (GOLD) parch......think I may now be chief duffuss of the clan duffuss.....will try patching with the EU patch and report back

regards

HFox
09-09-2014, 17:12
Look forwards to being crowned chief duffuss