PDA

View Full Version : Installer/Uninstaller default game location (Uninstaller obsolete)

Mouzafphaerre
09-15-2014, 17:00

The installer assumes the vanilla game is under program files (x86)\, however it's elsewhere. This poses no problem as I simply point it to the correct location. However, the uninstaller runs under the same presumption as well. It completes with success messages while it actually does nothing.

I manually deleted the eb2 folder to install 2.1. Will report if anything goes astray.

bovi
09-15-2014, 19:30
The installer reads the registry to find out where you installed M2TW. If you've moved or copied it since installation, it will not notice this.

But the uninstaller really ought to work with the installation path of your EB2 rather than M2TW, so that's odd. Again, unless you moved everything after installing EB2.

Manually deleting the EB2 folder should do the trick.

Mouzafphaerre
09-16-2014, 22:37

Steam is configured to install games on a dedicated directory under C. When I installed 2.0 the installer defaulted to program files... and I was careless to click continue. As a result EB installed into somewhere without M2TW. Then I realized/remembered my oversight and moved it to the proper place. The uninstaller -apparently- also assumed it was under PF and didn't uninstall it.

I manually deleted EB 2. The 2.1 installer again defaulted to program files... I manually corrected and pointed to the correct directory and it installed fine.

Shortly, no, the installer doesn't look up the game, it assumes it's under program files... Under my current Win 7 setup I never installed a Steam game under PF. It's configured not to install there anyway.

Not a problem at all for the moderately computer savvy but that's how it is :shrug:

Twigvest
09-17-2014, 02:40
Mine is not installed in Program Files, and the installer finds it automatically just fine, however I use the retail version.

Sounds like a steam install issue.

bovi
09-17-2014, 08:25
To clarify, here's the code:

function GetMedFolder(Param: String): String;
var
MedVersion: String;
begin
if RegKeyExists(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, 'SOFTWARE\SEGA\Medieval II Total War Kingdoms') then
begin
RegQueryStringValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, 'SOFTWARE\SEGA\Medieval II Total War', 'AppPath', MedVersion);
Result := MedVersion;
end
else
begin
if RegKeyExists(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, 'SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam') then
begin
RegQueryStringValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, 'SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam', 'InstallPath', MedVersion);
Result := MedVersion + '\SteamApps\common\medieval ii total war\';
end
else
begin
if RegKeyExists(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, 'SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SEGA\Medieval II Total War') then
begin
RegQueryStringValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, 'SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SEGA\Medieval II Total War', 'InstallPath', MedVersion);
Result := MedVersion;
end
else
begin
Result := '[No MII:TW Kingdoms Install Found: You will need to select your "Medieval II Total War" Folder manually]';
end;
end;
end;
end;

Basically the installer reads several places in the registry in sequence to find the location of your M2TW installation, choosing the first one it finds. If it's not found in any of these, give up.
* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SEGA\Medieval II Total War
* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam
* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SEGA\Medieval II Total War

So in your case, apparently you have registry entries from your disc install, but are currently using a Steam install instead. Confusion accomplished!

Mouzafphaerre
09-18-2014, 02:24

Never had a disc install :clown: but it's all right, if there's Steam there's trouble and as long as I can work around it no worries! Thanks :bow: