PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Medieval 2: Total war encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

baerbarossa
12-28-2015, 00:56
Hello,

I don´t know, if I´m right here, but I´ve got the following problem:
After a long played campaing on EB II Version 2.01 I´ve now seen a new one comes out: 2.1 + 2.1b Patch. So I followed the installation guide and it worked shortly: double clicked on the "non steam version-Connection" (Have the Gold version) and see the intro and the new red starting picture. After choosing the Romans to do the first start, it crashed and after it, nothing worked. So I uninstalled EB II and M2TW. Restart my computer and deleted the restfiles I had found.
I installed M2TW again under my second plate D:\Games\ and start a campagin, than quit and all works fine. Then I install the EB II 2.1 from the downloaded Zipfile (extracted with 7zip) and it doesn´t works. Everytime I get shortly a black window (sometimes I can shortly see the red starting loading picture) and then it makes BLING and the message comes: Medieval 2: Total war encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

I´d tried a lot of things recommended in the forums of twcenter and other stations. I´ve reinstalled it more than one time; I´ve patched it sometimes and sometimes I haven´t. I´ve opened it as a administrator. I installed it one time under C:\Games\ ... I sometimes installed the installation exe from EB2 in a free folder and copy and paste it by my own. I´ve also tried the fix patch which is recommended and i´m desperated now. 2.01 worked so fine and 2.1 doesn´t want to start. Also it does not create a logfile or a log folder (but cfg is right), so I couldn´t give a log file answer.

One thing I´ve seen is the following: After starting it with the administrator rights the black box which disappears short, stands now for long and tells me, that EB2 has to install into a Folder with an M2TW installation exe. But IT IS ?! I also tried to copy-paste it into the m2TW folder instead of the mods folder (also not working and the whole game doesn´t works then). I also looked into the appdata folder to search for M2TWdatafiles after uninstalling, but can´t find anything (also after installing there´s nothing).

If you have some ideas, please tell me. My PC has enough power to do the game (4 cores á 2,6 Ghz, 760 GTX, 8 GB Ram, original M2TW Gold CD, Win7).

Thank you for your help.

pezhetairoi
12-28-2015, 02:46
Hello,

I don´t know, if I´m right here, but I´ve got the following problem:
After a long played campaing on EB II Version 2.01 I´ve now seen a new one comes out: 2.1 + 2.1b Patch. So I followed the installation guide and it worked shortly: double clicked on the "non steam version-Connection" (Have the Gold version) and see the intro and the new red starting picture. After choosing the Romans to do the first start, it crashed and after it, nothing worked. So I uninstalled EB II and M2TW. Restart my computer and deleted the restfiles I had found.
I installed M2TW again under my second plate D:\Games\ and start a campagin, than quit and all works fine. Then I install the EB II 2.1 from the downloaded Zipfile (extracted with 7zip) and it doesn´t works. Everytime I get shortly a black window (sometimes I can shortly see the red starting loading picture) and then it makes BLING and the message comes: Medieval 2: Total war encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

I´d tried a lot of things recommended in the forums of twcenter and other stations. I´ve reinstalled it more than one time; I´ve patched it sometimes and sometimes I haven´t. I´ve opened it as a administrator. I installed it one time under C:\Games\ ... I sometimes installed the installation exe from EB2 in a free folder and copy and paste it by my own. I´ve also tried the fix patch which is recommended and i´m desperated now. 2.01 worked so fine and 2.1 doesn´t want to start. Also it does not create a logfile or a log folder (but cfg is right), so I couldn´t give a log file answer.

One thing I´ve seen is the following: After starting it with the administrator rights the black box which disappears short, stands now for long and tells me, that EB2 has to install into a Folder with an M2TW installation exe. But IT IS ?! I also tried to copy-paste it into the m2TW folder instead of the mods folder (also not working and the whole game doesn´t works then). I also looked into the appdata folder to search for M2TWdatafiles after uninstalling, but can´t find anything (also after installing there´s nothing).

If you have some ideas, please tell me. My PC has enough power to do the game (4 cores á 2,6 Ghz, 760 GTX, 8 GB Ram, original M2TW Gold CD, Win7).

Thank you for your help.

Hello, I had that same error when I reinstalled everything too. Question: do you have M2TW Kingdoms, and have you installed it and then installed EB2 over that? I did that and it worked.

The EB2.1b release did not state that Kingdoms was required, but it actually is. (Omission on the part of the post writer?) If you are reinstalling everything, then you need to reinstall Kingdoms too. It says so in the general FAQ of EB2: EB2 is made exclusively to work on M2TW Kingdoms. I was so excited that when I installed M2TW I went on the EB2.1 trying to get at the game fast, but completely forgot Kingdoms. Once I realised this and reinstalled everything again, it worked perfectly.

Hope this helps.

baerbarossa
12-28-2015, 10:02
Hello, I had that same error when I reinstalled everything too. Question: do you have M2TW Kingdoms, and have you installed it and then installed EB2 over that? I did that and it worked.

The EB2.1b release did not state that Kingdoms was required, but it actually is. (Omission on the part of the post writer?) If you are reinstalling everything, then you need to reinstall Kingdoms too. It says so in the general FAQ of EB2: EB2 is made exclusively to work on M2TW Kingdoms. I was so excited that when I installed M2TW I went on the EB2.1 trying to get at the game fast, but completely forgot Kingdoms. Once I realised this and reinstalled everything again, it worked perfectly.

Hope this helps.

I have M2TW Gold Edition, but when I understand you right, than I have to install the addons too (American, Britain, etc.)? I´ll try this. And yes, I have first installed the maingame, then start a campaign, quit it, and installed then EBII (also when I reinstalled all). I thought "Kingdoms" is the maingame and the other addons are "britain, crusade, american". I´ll try this and will answer.

pezhetairoi
12-28-2015, 14:41
I don't know if the campaigns are needed or not, but I decided to save myself the time of finding out and installed them all when I installed Kingdoms. It works, is all I can say. I did exactly what you described though--basically followed the instructions in the 2.1b release post to the letter.

baerbarossa
12-28-2015, 16:05
IT WORKED !

Thank you a lot. I uninstalled all and installed it new (this time with all add ons crusade, american a.s.o.) and EBII worked fine with the patch 2.1b ! Also there is now an "kingdom.exe", which wasn´t there before (only a M2TW.exe and another one).

Thank you! And now I´ll play EBII :)

pezhetairoi
12-28-2015, 16:46
Awesome. Victory and glory!

Vermin
12-30-2015, 05:04
I'll add my 2 cents worth in case anyone has the new STEAM version which has no kingdoms exe. This will result in an unspecified error.
1) Copy the Medieval II Total War folder out of the program Files (x86) folder.
2) Paste in your Kingdoms exe file*
3) Run each exe and save a game (ignore certain weirdness like kingdoms not linking to the 4 add ons)
4) apply EBII etc.
Notes:
*If your kingdoms exe was from a non-steam version you can use the non-steam EBII launcher
If your kingdoms exe was an old STEAM exe it might launch STEAM (mine was from a previous CD GOLD version - stupidly I sold it a few years ago and then had to get the replacement STEAM version - :wall: ) and you might need the steam EBII launcher.
**If you do not have and cannot get a kingdoms exe, it might work to simply paste the new STEAM Medieval2 exe renamed as kingdoms exe. I have not tried this but according to some threads relating the new STEAM version and mods this might work.

Finally if any of this does not work please let me know. I've just spent all morning getting mine to work!
Good luck.