PDA

View Full Version : Seperat Multiplayer Forum

Dionysus9
11-12-2002, 22:24
How many people are interested in having a forum dedicated to MultiPlayer discussions?

The MP stats sticky thread is nice, but I think we need more specialization.

Any thoughts?

Vinsitor
11-13-2002, 13:15
Yes I agree, let's separate SP and MP forums

Orda Khan
11-13-2002, 18:20
This is a tricky one. I can see the need but I can also see the problems

.......Orda

Shahed
11-13-2002, 18:34
Yep Definetly a good idea

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Nelson
11-13-2002, 22:31
I see pros and cons here. When it was first put up I thought the clan forum would become a defacto MP forum. That does not seemed to have happened judging from all the MP related posts in the MAIN HALL. Perhaps the BARRACKS could become the MP forum.

The problem with separate forums for MP and SP (and I was originally one of the earliest proponents of separation) is this: myopia. It would be too easy to forget that some buyers play a radically different game from others and that we all were made promises on the box.

Still, I could live with SP and MP forums just fine. For me, the most tiresome aspect of some MP threads is the fact that so many of them really aren't about balance or the game mechanics (which make sense to me) so much as the unacceptable way other people are said to play online. Styles not approved by a tiny handful of org aficionados get perverted into rationales for stat and code changes in order to inhibit these "bad", "arcade", "newb", or "whatever" play styles and in turn promote some ideal scheme that reflects whatever the MP guru's idea of nirvana is at the time (subject to change of course). The devs must see what a dead end this all is if I do but the gripping here is endless. Providing these hyper-competitive patrons with their own nosh pit makes sense in this regard because their perspective is so far from what I believe is that of the mainstream org visitor.

And should I have offended anyone thus far, I will close by saying that many MP players are undoubtedly annoyed from time to time by all of the campaign related posts, not to mention the history and realism discussions.

As always, we don't have to read every thread. Or respond to every thread we read.

Dionysus9
11-13-2002, 23:01
I can see the pros and cons too. Of course there is some talk about "splitting" the community, but I think that is largely fear of change. There are many forums that dont split the community--

I like to think of a seperation of MP, SP, and Main Hall forums as enriching the community and .org experience.

MP and SP players really are to a large extentspecialities, and as such deserve seperate treatment (like clan/recruiting, mods, tech, etc.).

TakaRatta Yamamoto
11-13-2002, 23:59
I think seperating them would be a good idea...it would stop the "no, we are talking about MP/SP" stuff, and would make it easier to know what people are talking about before you entered into the discussion...

Snorri

LordKhaine
11-14-2002, 00:08
MP and SP are such different worlds... it makes sense to seperate them. Lots of threads lose their track so often due to the differences between MP and SP, it would be nice to see both sides get their own space to discuss. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Dionysus9
11-14-2002, 03:37
Quote[/b] (Nelson @ Nov. 13 2002,15:31)]Providing these hyper-competitive patrons with their own nosh pit makes sense in this regard because their perspective is so far from what I believe is that of the mainstream org visitor.
No offense taken-- we are certainly more brash than the average SP'er.

I just keep clicking into SP discussion threads and having to backtrack back to the main page. Small annoyance but it adds up. I see "preferred unit size" and I think, oh 100 units are better than 60 units, I'll comment. And they are talking about using "Huge" units in SP.

I think we should get these damn Mp'ers into a different room. They are frightening the other Org patrons.

*goes off to frighten more patrons in the hopes of getting his own room*

Hosakawa Tito
11-14-2002, 03:46
I think it would help the mp and sp threads to stay on topic, and be less confusing. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, present your case to the administration, detailing your reasons on how it would benefit all the patrons and see what happens. It can't hurt to try.

Dionysus9
11-14-2002, 04:22
So lets see...

Benefits:

1) Keep SP and MP threads on topic
2) Keep MP players from intimidating SP players (and visa versa)
3) Reduce the # of "wasted clicks" on topics people aren't interested in.
4) Focus discussion to specific MP/SP issues

Any more?

Lord Romulous
11-14-2002, 04:41
yep seperate forums.

those mp players smell. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

the need is great now that the mp community is talking about changing stats to effect unit balance.

There will be lots of posts about unit stat changes and if sp players see it they can muddy the waters significantly by posting that they disagree with the change and not realising if wont apply to them.

TenkiWarPRIEST
11-14-2002, 04:54
Vote Seperation immediately SP MTW and MP MTW are two totally seperate Worlds. Strategies are different, MP is Tougher, and I don't see any relation in topics.

Dionysus9
11-14-2002, 05:52
As much as I hate polls, I just had to start one on this issue. I really think the community can benefit from having a seperate multiplayer forum (how about The Arena?). The single players deserve a forum too (how about The Kings Court?). We could keep the Main Hall for general discussions. Moderators could close/move unrelated threads and newer players wont get confused as easily.

MTW is a very rich and challenging game, and it is also quite complicated. I've seen some unneccessary misunderstandings and arguments started over rediculously small differences between SP and MP play.

I dont think it would divide the community because it will in fact bring needed organization to the threads at The Guild.

We can watch each forum to make sure they dont start bashing eachother. It will work out great, its time for the change.

Dionysus9
11-14-2002, 18:57
*bump*

It doesn't seem like anyone is really interested. Maybe I'm just a dreamer.

YunDog
11-15-2002, 06:38
hey Taka hows it going buddy
long time no see
I havent been playing online
for reasons this forum has documented to the nth

but I have been enjoying the SP campaigns

on the subject yes there should be a mp forum - to stop the mp players posting their frustration in just about every thread - maybe it should be called the Rants and Raves Forum

ha ha ha

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

sorry couldnt help it

Azrael
11-15-2002, 11:14
Hey Guys,

I would appreciate a multi-player forum. I know from experience that I could certainly use some advice on multi-player tactics.

I too, thought the Barracks would be the place for Multi-Player banter, however this is not the case.

Separating SP & MP can only benefit all the users of the ORG, since it will help us to focus specifically on issues relating to one or the other.

Personally (and maybe I'm not looking hard enough), I find the quantity of Multi-Player banter to be a little bit lacking in these Forums.

Alot of us play MP. I know. I'm one of them. Give us a room and you improve things for MP's and SP's alike.

Azrael

Orda Khan
11-15-2002, 14:17
On reflection, yes, a dedicated MP forum would be good

.........Orda

Dionysus9
11-18-2002, 08:54
*bump* please discuss

solypsist
11-18-2002, 09:02
moved to watchtower

baz
11-18-2002, 18:40
how about if we try and post MP topics in the clan forum? and then we can see how it goes? maybe the text under the barracks title could be changed http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/idea.gif

LittleGrizzly
11-19-2002, 01:29
hmm but i think having the 2 forums single player disscussion and multiplayer disscussion would be the smoothest way to do it as no-one could possibly mistake what the 2 meant..... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/idea.gif

TosaInu
11-19-2002, 12:13
Konnichiwa,

STW Single Player combat differed a bit from MP combat. This caused some unnecessary in the forum at times. I feel that the difference has become even greater.

So many people asking for an MP forum clearly shows that it is indeed necessary to add one.

I'll insert a new forum near the Barracks. I'll look for the things needed to make that forum and will implement it soon.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Papewaio
11-19-2002, 13:41
Wouldn't it have been easier if the topic started stated such in the Topic Description.

That way you could see in a single forum a list of subjects that would interest those who play both. Also it would require less moderators. Also it would stop a fractionation of the players. And it would stop a doubling up of some topics as some overlap still does occur. Also by reading threads of a similar nature people can learn from each others styles as some things can be easier to see in SP or MP that still have and effect in the other style.

baz
11-21-2002, 08:25
Yipee the campaign has been successfull http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

TosaInu
12-07-2002, 18:20