PDA

View Full Version : Effect of Unit Size on difficulty of SP Campaign

Roibeard Mac Mathúna
11-12-2002, 15:41
Hi I'm currently playing campaign as English-Early-Normal with huge unit size.

Just an observation I have made (obvious one I know).

Having two units of 60 men on default unit size as opposed to one unit of 120 men on huge allows me to mobilise troops to a trouble zone as a deterrent without effecting the loyalty of the home province too much.

Is the loyalty effect of garrisoned troops based on number of units, or number of men, or both?

I know every faction will be in the same boat. Does this make the early grab for new territory even more important?

Bottom line: Does playing with huge unit size make the campaign side of the game a little harder?

Slán

The_Dude
11-12-2002, 15:55
I think it's a little bit harder to play with huge size, because you have less flexibility on the field, you can be flanked more easily and unit cost a little bit more than with normal size. So you will need as much unit as before but it will cost you more money.
I have done one campaign with huge unit, it was more difficult to balance the income/outcome.

Cooperman
11-12-2002, 16:10
On the other hand its a lot easier handling 10 large units than 20 smaller units on the battlefield as theres no mucking about with reinforcements. I find having larger units makes the big battles a little easier to manage later on in the game.

Roibeard Mac Mathúna
11-12-2002, 18:15
Thanks for your responses Cooperman.

I agree that from a tactical point of view having larger units will make the larger battles a little easier to control.

My question was purely from the campaign map perspective and I am glad that we have observed the same inflexibility which makes it that little bit tougher.

Another question has come to mind.

Is the morale penalty for losing casualties based on the percentage of men in the unit that you have lost?

Slán

fastspawn
11-13-2002, 10:30
Quote[/b] (Roibeard Mac Mathúna @ Nov. 12 2002,11:15)]Another question has come to mind.

Is the morale penalty for losing casualties based on the percentage of men in the unit that you have lost?

Slán
yes percentage is the deciding factor behind the morale penalty. I believe there are 2 stages one at 20% the other at 80%. I forgot the actual figures, it is in the guidebook but i dont have it with me rite now

Roibeard Mac Mathúna
11-13-2002, 10:50
Thanks fastspawn.

Michiel de Ruyter
11-13-2002, 10:53
IMO huge unit size makes the campaign more difficult early on, especially if your faction has relatively few troops, and a relatively low income...it makes it easier though for those factions with a good income early in the game...

(at least that is what I noticed with Shogun TW, and I doubt it will be a lot different in medieval)

As far as battlefield control, it is, I guess, a disadvantage if confronted by an army with more smaller units (as the should have a better mobility), and an advantage or equal if confronted by an army with the same number of units.

Roibeard Mac Mathúna
11-13-2002, 15:49
Thank you Michael and The_Dude. I thought Cooperman had made two posts but in fact one of them was from The_Dude. Sorry for overlooking you there. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

The discussion about the pros and cons of unit size in the battles could go on forever. I know because I've seen smaller points of detail in (S/M)TW argued almost to irrelevance on the Org in the past.

My question was purely based on the strategic campaign map side of things and the consensus from the few posts we have is that having huge unit size makes things a little bit harder if you don't already have large swathes of land, or don't make significant gains in territory early on.

Slán

Azrael
11-13-2002, 16:05
Hey Guys,

The Loyalty of a Province is affected by many things, and certainly the amount of troops you have garrissoned there can serve as an effective detterrant against rebellion.

If you are going to leave One soldier in a Province, make it your King. The province that the King is in always stays loyal.

As far as numbers go, it's good to have some sort of force there. 200 peasants can be enough. Low maintenance costs and enough numbers to make an impact on the populace.

But pay very close attention to the PERCENTAGE of the population who are liable to revolt.

If this is above zero, you can usually settle things by lowering taxes until you can get a larger force there. If the Heresy rating is particularly high, or Wessex is about to convert to Islam, you might want get an army in there fast as well as some bishops, inquisitors, spies & assassins. Rebellions suck.

Also keep a close eye on your General's LOYALTY. Sort your vassals with Mediochre Loyalty out by giving them a title or letting them marry a princess. If you don't have any of these things readily available, but your King is close by, get him in there so the Province can't revolt.

If there's one thing more annoying than Rebellion, it's Civil War This happened to me in England in my very first Campaign. Though I overcame it and put down the rebellion (it was a straight 50/50 split), that event completely knacked me for conquering all of Europe.

Well, I hope at least some of that has been useful, and I'm sure that there's more to it than my two Florins.

Azrael

Caledfwlch
11-13-2002, 17:30
I prefer the huge unit size, the more elite units seem to be more durable (last longer before running down to nothing). I know this probably goes for all units, but I think it's far better to have 40 knights than 20.

Roibeard Mac Mathúna
11-13-2002, 18:01
Good tips Azrael.

I have the tax rate at High in all my provinces and my loyalty tends to stay above 150% in the fringe provinces and 200% in Wessex and Aquitane. I frequently get the Most Contented Population award. I suppose I could push Wessex and Aquitane to Very High taxes?

I don't know if it has a any effect on loyalty and I'm just paranoid but I leave an emissary in every one of my territories to counterspy. I've found that 8 of 10 assassination attempts against my faction fail and the other times the assassin tends to target the emissary Sometimes he kills the assassin and sometimes he is killed.
Losing a V2 emissary at 100 Florins vs a High-Ranking General is definitely cost-effective in my book. Also I imagine having an emissary present would deter bribery attempts?

Caledfwlch

I agree. The romantic in me wants to see 16 units of 40 fully armoured knights streaking across the field.

Slán