PDA

View Full Version : Famous Heroes...where are they in SP?

The Last Emperor
11-20-2002, 04:22
I can still remember seeing this line Famous historical heroes including Joan of Arc, Richard the Lionheart & William Wallace at the back of the box when i got the game. Was disappointed when i discovered these characters only appear in the historical battle(HB) mode, and the only famous guy in SP is El Cid, whom i always try to bribe unsuccessfully coz he cost a whole country too early in the game and is usually killed either by the Spaninsh or Almohads within 5 years from the start.

I know there are so called famous clones that presently do appear in the SP game but their identities are suspected, some of them have lookalike names while a few are given a number of valour & morale boosting characters. But still they are not the originals from the HB mode.
Wouldn't it be really great if CA can just activate all these famous heroes in the SP as they are in the HB mode for us in the next game patch?

Surely u ppl would like to have Richard the Lionheart or Babarossa appearing in certain time period for ur faction or THE William Wallace leading the Scots to rebel at the English backyard while u are having a go at the Muslim faction in the faraway land? I can only see them increasing the level of historical realism in the SP mode thus iproving the gameplay of this already great game. And maybe, just maybe if CA can include more historical characters in the next coming patch for SP coz i do feel the this mode is a bit underdevelope in terms of historical realism. Just a wee piece of my TOTAL WAR mind

The Last Emperor
11-20-2002, 04:27
I meant to say the historical realism for SP mode is a bit underdeveloped in the last line.

solypsist
11-20-2002, 04:30
They do appear, but are unannounced and can be found here and there, at certain times less random than others.
I don't want to give everything away, so you can discover them yourself, but Wallace does appear, as does Joan and others, but you have to hunt for them among various generals and so far they're not specific to a troop type.

The Last Emperor
11-20-2002, 04:47
Ok then...guess i just have to look harder. One thing though, i played as the English in SP quite often but i don't seem to get Richard the Lionheart as one of my prince or having him as the king even after taking the game into year 1300+, and if he is to appear, the time frame would be in the early era.

rasoforos
11-20-2002, 15:30
i ve seen Joan of Ark playing the french. As it was said before these legendary heroes appear unannounced. Joan was discovered during the late period when i decided to see my high ranking generals (she begins with 5 stars i think which made her very usefull with a bit of title boosting http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wacko.gif ....the problem was that although she appeared as a woman in the portrait the vices and virtues were saying 'man' ( in version 1.0 , i dont know about v1.1)....mistake of the game or at last revealed historical truth? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

el_slapper
11-21-2002, 15:34
I don't play those periods, but some reported having married her... to their daughters Probably they've forgotten to make a special switch for the lone female general of the game.

MonkeyMan
11-21-2002, 15:52
Ok from my

C:\program files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\Loc\Eng\names.txt

// Hero forenames
[El] {El}
[Mathilda] {Mathilda}
[Llewellyn] {Llewellyn}
[Fra] {Fra}
[Simon] {Simon}
[Stephan] {Stephan}
[Black] {Black}
[Wat] {Wat}
[Owain] {Owain}
[Iskander] {Iskander}
[Ibn] {Ibn}
[Theodosios] {Theodosios}
[Gregory] {Gregory}
[Saxo] {Saxo}
[Bo] {Bo}
[Al-Afdal] {Al-Afdal}
[Najamuddin] {Najamuddin}
[Nur] {Nur}
[Asad] {Asad}
[Sharaf] {Sharaf}
[Fakhr] {Fakhr}
[Ibn Taymiya] {Ibn Taymiya}
[Odon] {Odon}
[Strongbow] {Strongbow}
[Bertrand] {Bertrand}
[Francesco] {Francesco}
[Blondel] {Blondel}
[Godfrey] {Godfrey}
[Gerard] {Gerard}
[ChrQtien] {Chrétien}
[Jacques] {Jacques}
[Hartmann] {Hartmann}
[Albertus] {Albertus}
[Albert] {Albert}
[Hannekin] {Hannekin}
[Werner] {Werner}
[Bohemond] {Bohemond}
[Boniface] {Boniface}
[Alighieri] {Alighieri}
[Catruccio] {Catruccio}
[Ambrogio] {Ambrogio}
[Alberigo] {Alberigo}
[Bartolomeo] {Bartolomeo}
[Bartolomei] {Bartolomei}
[Domingo] {Domingo}
[TomNs] {Tomás}
[Frenando] {Frenando}
[Hasan-e] {Hasan-e}
[Imad] {Imad}
[Qara] {Qara}
[Qutb] {Qutb}
[Vlad] {Vlad}
[Domash] {Domash}
[Giles] {Giles}
[Cola] {Cola}
[Gil] {Gil}

// Hero surnames

[Cid] {Cid}
[Diaz de Vivar] {Diaz de Vivar}
[de Boulogne] {de Boulogne}
[Sgouros] {Sgouros}
[of Locksley] {of Locksley}
[Dolcino] {Dolcino}
[de Montfort the Younger] {de Montfort the Younger}
[Walays] {Walays}
[Urosh Dushan] {Urosh Dushan}
[Agnes Dunbar] {Agnes Dunbar}
[van Artevelde] {van Artevelde}
[Tyler] {Tyler}
[Glyndwr] {Glyndwr}
[Bey] {Bey}
[Khaldun abd al-Rahman] {Khaldun abd al-Rahman}
[Boradiotes] {Boradiotes}
[Acropolites] {Acropolites}
[Beccus] {Beccus}
[Palamas] {Palamas}
[Sphrantzes] {Sphrantzes}
[Grammaticus] {Grammaticus}
[Sturluson] {Sturluson}
[Elovsdottir] {Elovsdottir}
[Jonsson Grip] {Jonsson Grip}
[Shahinshah] {Shahinshah}
[Ilghazi of Aleppo] {Ilghazi of Aleppo}
[al-Din] {al-Din}
[al-Din Shirkoh] {al-Din Shirkoh}
[ad Din] {ad Din}
[ad-Din] {ad-Din}
[al-Harrani] {al-Harrani}
[de Bayeux] {de Bayeux}
[de Normandie] {de Normandie}
[Borleng] {Borleng}
[FitzGilbert] {FitzGilbert}
[Beckett] {Beckett}
[Mercadier] {Mercadier}
[Marshall] {Marshall}
[de Nesle] {de Nesle}
[de Montfort the Elder] {de Montfort the Elder}
[Calveley] {Calveley}
[Hawkwood] {Hawkwood}
[de Grailly] {de Grailly}
[Knollys] {Knollys}
[Chaucer] {Chaucer}
[Camoys] {Camoys}
[de la Pole] {de la Pole}
[of Cluny] {of Cluny}
[of Boulogne] {of Boulogne}
[of Bouillon] {of Bouillon}
[of Clairvaux] {of Clairvaux}
[de Payns] {de Payns}
[of Ypres] {of Ypres}
[de Ridefort] {de Ridefort}
[de Troyes] {de Troyes}
[Cadoc] {Cadoc}
[de Charny] {de Charny}
[Froissart] {Froissart}
[le Maingre Boucicault] {le Maingre Boucicault}
[de la Salle] {de la Salle}
[de Richmont] {de Richmont}
[Bureau] {Bureau}
[de Bueil] {de Bueil}
[of Arc] {of Arc}
[the Lion] {the Lion}
[von Aue] {von Aue}
[of Marburg] {of Marburg}
[of Bohemia] {of Bohemia}
[Sterz] {Sterz}
[Bongarten] {Bongarten}
[von Lrslingen] {von Ürslingen}
[Zizka] {Zizka}
[de Tankerville] {de Tankerville}
[of Montferrat] {of Montferrat}
[de Plano Carpini] {de Plano Carpini}
[d'Assisi] {d'Assisi}
[Dante] {Dante}
[Castracane] {Castracane}
[Visconti] {Visconti}
[da Barbiano] {da Barbiano}
[Colleoni] {Colleoni}
[Sforza] {Sforza}
[Petrach] {Petrach}
[Oleshnicki] {Oleshnicki}
[Petrovich] {Petrovich}
[Kirillovich] {Kirillovich}
[de GuzmNn] {de Guzmán}
[de Torquemada] {de Torquemada}
[Martinez] {Martinez}
[DZaz Bermejo] {Díaz Bermejo}
[Sabbah] {Sabbah}
[al-Din Zengi] {al-Din Zengi}
[Timurtash] {Timurtash}
[al-Din Aibak] {al-Din Aibak}
[Evrenos] {Evrenos}
[de Lauria] {de Lauria}
[de Montaigu] {de Montaigu}
[de Vergy] {de Vergy}
[Hunyadi] {Hunyadi}
[Tepes] {Tepes}
[Tverdislavich] {Tverdislavich}
[of Verona] {of Verona}
[of Rome] {of Rome}
[de Monte Corvino] {de Monte Corvino}
[di Rienzo] {di Rienzo}
[Alvarez Carillo] {Alvarez Carillo}
[de Hauteville] {de Hauteville}
[de Flor] {de Flor}
[Tell] {Tell}
[von Malters] {von Malters}

Note that more surnames exist, i suppose only unique names that don't occur elsewhere are in the hero name, so more heros may exist and they may get the wrong first name, but there are quite a few in this list i have seen before.

Mithrandir
11-21-2002, 16:03
only noticed him because he had a 76% chance of killing the pope , where the others only had 17%...

MonkeyMan
11-21-2002, 16:53
yeah you get him from mercia (nottingham castle) at a particular date, i forget when.

Basileus
11-23-2002, 00:35
Ive seen nur al din something like that hes saladin always get him in arabia , henry the lion as HRE and some others, i think the way you get them is kool..:D

Pharaoh
11-25-2002, 21:41
Oh yeah, Guy of Gisbourne rules. I could have sworn I trained him in Livonia though (as the English). In my game he managed to kill one pope, one French king, three princesses and finally met his match in Don Guido Malatesta, the six-star Papal general scorcher.

God, I hate inquisitors.

Vlad The Impaler
11-25-2002, 23:34
hehehe...Vlad Tsepesh ( The Impaler ) is in the game:)

somebody saw it ??

einar
11-26-2002, 11:28
Quote[/b] ]Posted on Nov. 21 2002,08:34 by el_slapper
I don't play those periods, but some reported having married her (Joan of Arc)... to their daughters Probably they've forgotten to make a special switch for the lone female general of the game.

Has she acquired the lesbian vice???

TheLastEuropean
11-28-2002, 14:49
Erm.... isn't William Wallace right there at the start as one of the rebel Scottish units. Can't remember now but I'm sure he is.

Pharaoh
11-28-2002, 15:20
In my French game the last English king met his end in combat with a 6-star Scottish rebel general called William Walays. I don't believe that is a coincidence.

In addition to him, I've also seen both Montforts in one game.

SmokWawelski
12-02-2002, 16:34
I am speculating here, but altering this name list should be quite easy, and would give you unlimited possibilities in terms of heroes. Since it looks like the first and “last name” are combined without any predetermined rule, I am wondering if there is a code to determine what fraction can have what names… There has to be something, since playing as European nations only, I did not remember getting any Arabic-sounding names…
Do the special heroes get any better stats than the “normal” ones
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

Balrog
12-07-2002, 20:25
Thats what I was thinking Smow..

Except that I could add my own name in there http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

What about being born as a prince too?

Balrog
12-07-2002, 20:28
Sorry SmokWawelski.. not Smow.. =-(

SmokWawelski
12-08-2002, 00:21
As a matter of fact, I am trying to change the names for Polish right now. I am fixing some mistakes done by CA and adding some different names... The temptation remains: Smok Wawelski ??

Will let you know how it works...Although will need to start a new camp. as Polish are long gone now...

SmokWawelski
12-16-2002, 03:03
Well, I have changed the names, but... this is not so easy. I got a number of error messages with the names and do not know why... All I did was change some names, with the formatting being the same.

I have a screen capture if anybody is interested. It says something like COULD NOT TRANSLATE on the battle outcome summary. Any ideas?

Lion King
12-16-2002, 14:38
hmmm, i imagine i know how to do it, lemme try

Lion King
12-16-2002, 14:43
yep, done it, its not easy as it seems, but i got it, i will publish a modding tutorial as soon as i start work on my total conversion for MTW

A.Saturnus
12-16-2002, 17:07
de Guzman is a v6 inquisitor. I`ve seen Hassan-e Sabbah once and Shahinshah is a 7-star-general the Egyptians start with in early.

I had this could not translate bug too. I installed the patch in the wrong language.

SmokWawelski
12-17-2002, 02:41
Lion King: Let us know as soon as you can how to do that correctly. I am not as fortunate to have much time to play with that on my own... Life of a college guy http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

greymeister
12-31-2002, 01:23
Anyone know of a guide/faq that points to where some of these heroes can be found? I know the High ages starts with John I who was Richard the LionHearted's little bro so to get the Lionheart you would have to start in the early period. I don't know where to find Vlad who needs to have a dread of about 4000 hehe, and I'd like to know when about Henry the Lion of HRE is mucking about. Also if anyone can pinpoint where Gay of Gisbourne is found that would be nice.
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?
It's dull you twit. It'll hurt more

MacGregor
12-31-2002, 06:06
As the English I had a rebellion in Scotland in 1297, the year of Stirling Bridge, and a huge army under William Wallays took Scotland. I've seen Albrect de Ber and Henry the Lion in the HRE. I have never seen Vlad the Impaler, but historically he was from Wallachia so I guess he'd show up there. Nur al Din, who defeated the second crusade shows up in Egpyt. I don't believe they give you Hero kings however which means, no Richard Couer de Lion or Freidrich Barabarossa. Does anyone know if Sultan Saladin shows up?

greymeister
12-31-2002, 07:59
I guess it makes sense to not have historic kings as you sort of decide the lineage (sort of http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif )

I'd like to know if anyone has seen Vlad (his name Vlad Tepes was in that list of names so I guess he's somewhere). Anyone know a date on when you can recruit G.o G.? I've been recruiting assassins like crazy around Mercia and no luck so far.

Thanks

kataphraktoi
12-31-2002, 15:43
any chance of tampering with the names and putting our own?

greymeister
01-01-2003, 00:44
I think this is definately worthy of some investigation, as I'd think I'm not the only one interested in finding the celebrities for each faction.

Greymeister

greymeister
01-01-2003, 11:07
Well to confirm someone else's info Guy of Gisbourne is your first recruited assassin from Knottingham Castle (Mercia I'm pretty sure) in the high ages. Have not seen Joan of Arc as the French throughout the High and Late periods. I thought maybe if I was the English and took Burgundy (Where Orleans is) I thought maybe she'd show up but not yet anyway. No luck with Vlad or anyone though. Gotta keep searching. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif

Greymeister

greymeister
01-02-2003, 06:08
The French general in charge of Champagne's fort at the beginning of the High ages is Henri Cour but I'm not sure if this is a hero or not (he's not that great). Anyone else know?

Theodoret
01-02-2003, 07:08
With regards hero monarchs:

I have had Frederick II (Barbarosa) as emperor when I played the HRE. He even had a custom portrait with a prominent red beard. I think he appeared towards the end of the High period in my game.

Some of my Byzantine Emperors had very familiar names as well but I am not sure whether the were heroes or just a product of random name generation (I have had a Michael Paleologus, but not as Emperor alas).

Huzzah!!!
07-13-2005, 16:42
I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone else googles across it while searching for hidden heroes in M:TW, i've found that poking around in "c:\\Total War\campmap\names" gives most of the information you'll need, Gisbourne is ANY assassin made by the english after 1190; and there are a whole list of other tweakable things you can do to the game.

edyzmedieval
07-13-2005, 19:04
:gossip: Who exhumed this post?!

Huzzah, you chose an original way for an entry :thumbsup:

ichi
07-14-2005, 01:53
One of my favorite hero-types is El Cid, I think he starts the game in Valencia and can be bribed (not always tho) giving you a 5-star gen.

ichi :bow:

British Mutt + Viking
07-19-2005, 19:53
The heroes are very tricky, for some will only appear with rebels in certain provinces which a good ruler should never have to worry about rebelling, like Robin Hood in Mercia during the 1300s, William Wallays in Scotland, a real nasty Irishman in Ireland, & so on. Some have some useful traits, but the price of drivin a prvince into rebellion, no easy task for real old provinces, losing a province full of infrastructure, bribing the leader (IF they actually show up, for the years can be tricky) & then rebuilding the damage is just not worth it. You are more than likely to have trained up better generals by then.
Also, a lot of these heroes are not well done, having skills now representative of their historical impact. For example, El Cid was not a great attacker, he was known for the love he inspired in his troops & the people of Valencia (They wouldn't have tied him to a horse to keep the troops fighting if he wasn't loved), and his near blind obsession with loyalty, even to kings who treated him as little more than the scum on a boot, which is represented almost perfectly by the "fearsome4" trait (+3 loyalty,+6 morale,+10 happiness), but instead, he gets a wimpy "attacker" trait (+ 2 stars, only when attacking). This must be a game balancer ( thye must have meant to give him the fearsome4 at first), but it is a rather silly one. If one wants to balance the game & prevent El Cid becoming the dominant force on the map, make it a King's Ransom + interest to bribe him, or give him merely two stars, for he was not actually a great general in terms of strategy or tactics, his men fought like demons for him, overcoming the odds.
Now myself, I admit I decided to make three copies of the names file, re-wrote one to be realistic historically, then another which I personally tailored to give me an army of ready made governors (high piety, loyalty, & acumen), super generals to lead armies (high stars, +morale traits, high loyalty), & made an assassin who never fails or dies. The third file, I keep unchanged in my back-ups incase I make a change that causes trouble. I agree I "cheat" in that regard, but who cares, it is only SP. ~)