PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Crash to Desktop after end-year

Snark
01-28-2003, 11:58
Hi everybody,

starting yesterday, severely interrupting the glorious conquest of the Almohads, in the year 1289, my campaign started to ctd.
My machine:
Athlon 1800XP, Epox KHA8+, GF4-Ti4400, SB-Live,512 MB RAM,
win 98SE and Win2K pro, SP3, strictly separated systems.
Detonator 41.09 under 98SE, 40.71 under 2K.
Not overclocked or anything, *no* constantly running soft under 98 (anti-virus stuff or somesuch), some constantly running services (cvs, tomcat etc.) under 2k.

MTW: Asian-Pacific Version, Patch 1.1, No mods.

Since the game crashed never before, (nor do other games crash regularly) I think I can exclude HW-problems. And since this happens with different OS and different Drivers I think this is probably a general problem

Does anyone have any ideas ? I might switch off the 'show enemy moves' part, having read some suggestions already, but I have the feeling as if an event or a movie shall be shown, but crashes.

Lord Of Storms
01-28-2003, 19:51
I have had a similar problem and what worked for me was . Before I saved the game I made sure the building and training queues were cleared . I do not know if this will work in your case but it is worth a try hope it helps you . http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mario_yepes
01-28-2003, 21:58
I had the same problem, right before a naval battle. Saved the game after my changes, then switched out from that naval battle.. That fixed it.
Who knows, probably the moderators have a reason... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

Kraellin
01-28-2003, 23:15
there is a known bug that seems to show up in the middle of some camapaigns. storms' fix is the way around it.

i'm curious, though, which o/s are you running the game under? both? and this happens under both o/s's at the same point?

also, you mention ath you are running the pacific version. is your patch also the pacific version? (sorry, i just have to ask these questions. i never even paid much attention to if there was a pacific patch, but i have to ask, just in case someone has done a 'd'oh')

K.

Snark
01-29-2003, 10:17
Hi everyone,

thanks for the answers, I'll try these tips. Could be either a naval battle or building queues, I'm building a lot and am crushing the remains of the turkish fleet.
I already tried switching of nearly everything else (show enemy moves, hw sound mixing etc.) which didn't help.

btw. after the ctd, dxdiag shows that a problem occured with DirectDraw.

@Kraellin: Yes, I was running it on both systems. I got two systems setup on the same machine, I'm working on the 2k system and play on the 98 system. Normally both are strictly separated, I'm switching not via a boot-loader, but by switching the 2k disk of in bios http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
I installed MTW on the 2k system after the problem occured in the hope that it wouldn't under 2k. And yes, it happens repeatably on the same point under both systems. Which lead me to the conclusion that it's more probable to be a game problem then a problem with my system. If anyone is interested, I could send you the save game, would be interesting to see if this happens on other systems as well.

Yes, it says APAC version on the cover, but I believe it's the same as the european/english/US-version, the patch works without problems. I don't really see, what changes would have to be made for e.g. australia anyhow. Haven't found any Aborigines conquering rome so far in the game ;)AFAIK there is only one patch for all versions.

Well thanks for your help again, I'll check the suggestions and will post the results tomorrow.

Kraellin
01-29-2003, 15:55
Quote[/b] ]I'm switching not via a boot-loader, but by switching the 2k disk of in bios

oh, you're running two drives? ok, i follow. i do find it odd that this would happen at the same point on two different o/s's with all other hardware being the same, except when it comes to vid cards and especially if dxdiag is showing an error in direct draw. this sounds more and more like a vid driver thing or a game bug with your hardware specs. but, since you're running two different drivers under the respective systems, you might wanna try the nvidia driver tweaker rather than constantly trying other drivers. there could be something common to both that is screwing this up.

you might also try the 30.82 drivers. a number of folks have had pretty good success with those.

and this is from another thread in the apothecary:
Quote[/b] ]Uninstalled latest graphics Driver Nvidia Detonator 40 Version 41.09.
Reinstalled earlier driver (that he was using before prob) Nvidia 4.13.01.4072 now MTW and Shogun running OK again.
so dont discount changing drivers.

K.

Lord Of Storms
01-29-2003, 18:10
Kraellin is right on the drivers I was running detonator 41.09 with my Nvidia vid card I was having some problems so I got the game patch, switched my drivers to the 30.82 which seem to work really well and things are running. and as far as the emptying of the queues this usually happens late in the game when you are the dominant force ,with alot of provinces ,so maybe filling the training and building queues causes some kind of overload ?

Snark
01-30-2003, 10:06
Hi everyone,

I found and identified the bug, it's definitely a game bug, not a HW or driver problem. Please see the somewhat lengthy description I'm posting in a new thread and thanks for your help

eleazar the zealot
01-30-2003, 20:07
Quote[/b] (Snark @ Jan. 28 2003,04:58)]Hi everybody,

starting yesterday, severely interrupting the glorious conquest of the Almohads, in the year 1289, my campaign started to ctd.
My machine:
Athlon 1800XP, Epox KHA8+, GF4-Ti4400, SB-Live,512 MB RAM,
win 98SE and Win2K pro, SP3, strictly separated systems.
Detonator 41.09 under 98SE, 40.71 under 2K.
Not overclocked or anything, *no* constantly running soft under 98 (anti-virus stuff or somesuch), some constantly running services (cvs, tomcat etc.) under 2k.

MTW: Asian-Pacific Version, Patch 1.1, No mods.

Since the game crashed never before, (nor do other games crash regularly) I think I can exclude HW-problems. And since this happens with different OS and different Drivers I think this is probably a general problem

Does anyone have any ideas ? I might switch off the 'show enemy moves' part, having read some suggestions already, but I have the feeling as if an event or a movie shall be shown, but crashes.
Hi there.

Could it be that your CPU was too hot ?
I had the same problem with a PC with Pentium4,
actually after more then two hours of game-playing.

My PC case is sorrounded by wood part of my
desk. I just left more space on the top of the case
(PC is a minitower), but it was not enough,
maybe I need some freezing devices (e.g. a better fan-cooler)

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Gregoshi
01-31-2003, 04:52
Hello eleazar. Thanks for joining our ranks. Speaking of rank, I need a shower. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/dizzy.gif

Can you cut a couple of ventilation holes in the back of the desk? Maybe then you'd only need a small pan fan(?) on top of your tower to move the hot air out of the enclosure. I'm not a hardware guy, but I'm told I know a lot about hot air. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif