PDA

View Full Version : \"tagging\" units with information?

katsushiro
11-01-2000, 18:04
I have lots of units travelling every which way across the board, and I find myself forgetting which unit was destined for which army/province/whatever.

Does anyone have any tips for remembering over long turns which units were sposed to do what? e.g. "Two archers destined for army in Shinano"

Other than writing it down pen and paper?

Didz
11-01-2000, 18:15
I know what you mean. It can get really busy towards the end of a campaign.

My own approach is to assign one province as a mustering and replenshment province. When armies get depleted in battle they are withdrawn to this province for replenishment whilst all new units (single unit armies) head for this province also. Only Generals units remain on the front line if needed.

Once a depleted army reaches the replenshment province its units are either replaced with fresh troops or combined with other depleted units to make up their strength and it then marches back to the front.

Depleted units which cannont be brought up to strength remain behind until the next army arrives.

Its still fiddly but at least I don't need to keep track of where each individual replacement unit is headed.

Also by monitoring the mix of troops in the replenshment province I can adjust my training schedule to accommodate any shortages and ensure that there is an appropriate mix of troops available.

[This message has been edited by Didz (edited 11-01-2000).]

The Black Ship
11-01-2000, 23:16
If you have a unit of only 1 type (e.g. all archers, or all WMs) why can't their gamepiece be in that shape? Identification would be a breeze http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Combined armies would have to remain as is http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

The only one I'd kinda worry about is YC or HC only units, gotta make sure no one confuses them with his Daimyo http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif (boy I could really use a lol smiley).

solypsist
11-01-2000, 23:40
wow I'd like to see your campaign maps if you have guys going every which way.
I tend to have a very obvious Front Line to which all armies are fed from my castles set up specifically for creating armies (as opposed to also generating shinobi and other agents for use).
What usually happens is I have a castle with a better than average everything (armory, etc.)that makes my shock troops (monks, cav) and still-developing castles that make the rest (spearmen, archers, muskets) and at certain points in the game these two travelling armies meet and join, but always within one move of each other.

DragonCat
11-02-2000, 03:04
Me, I just head all new armies to the front and send 'em into battle!

One of the suggestions we've made is for there to be a way to keep track of not only units, but buildings that are underway. You do have to go through too many hoops to remember what you are doing.

------------------
DragonCat
"On the prowl . . . ."

Catiline
11-02-2000, 12:54
I have no idea of how hard this would be, but emissaries etc will all trail acroos the ma after the daimyos. Is it Much more difficult to just path a unit to a certain province and assume it's commander's got enough sense to get it there on his own unless you change the orders. would save all these hassles and stop me leaving 'reserves' scattered everywhere because I've forgotten to move them forward.

katsushiro
11-02-2000, 18:35
Yeah! That'd be a great compromise... if you could tell a unit to move way across the map, and he'd just path-plan himself. You could even assign a unit to go join a distant army, and over 3-4 turns, he'd eventually get there.
Which is how it'd be in reality anyway. You'd give a unit their marching orders.