PDA

View Full Version : Large units without the fuss

Hamburglar
02-23-2003, 20:37
Hi

I know a bunch of you guys want to play the game with huge units but hate how the build time and price are doubled.

Well, the key to fixing this is to go into the Crusader_unitprod file and just go into each unit and change its default size to double what it used to be.

Thus, horses are 80, spears are 200, and swords are 120, without having double price, double build time, and double support costs.

It really is very easy to do you can pretty much tell by going into the file what variable is the unit size - just look for the one thats 60 for sword units, 100 for spears, and 40 for cavalry.

If you really can't do it yourself I guess you could email me at bry105@psu.edu and I'll send you a modified file.

Best part about having double size units?

A lot easier to get the butcher vice.....

Westland
02-23-2003, 23:38
There is one problem if you do this. The army size will still be limited to 960. So the number of units you can put in one stack will be less than youre used to.

some_totalwar_dude
02-24-2003, 00:04
Then cut the costs in 2. If you change the unti sizes to huge it will dubble the pricess resulting in the building and maintaining costs of a normal sized unit.

For me I find it more fun with double costs cause it makes the game more difficult.

Hamburglar
02-24-2003, 01:22
It doesn't really matter how many you can have in a stack or not. You can still always bring 16 units into combat regardless of how many stacks you have.

Just move in two stacks of eight or whatever. Stacks really don't make any difference whatsoever.

As for it being more of a challenge - yeah, it is more of a challenge if its double-priced, but then again that means the stuff for the AI is double priced. It doesn't give the player or the AI any sort of advantage either way.

The one issue that having units bigger does change is revolts - they happen less often now. This is because revolt probability is determined by number of troops. So if you built one unit of spearmen then you'd have 200 troops which is usually enough to stop any sort of disloyalty in homeland provinces.

If anything, I think this is an improvement. The AI's have a real problem preventing revolts, and revolts seem to hurt the AI a lot more than they hurt the human, unless the human is really new at the game. But the experienced human player will rarely ever see peasant revolts - the only ones I ever see now are Loyalist and Faction Reamergence.

Lord Of Storms
02-24-2003, 02:51
the org downloads already has a huge unit build file check it out I believe it is by Caldefwich -http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/nichtani_1/council.gif

Hamburglar
02-24-2003, 07:03
Yeah but in his the build and support costs are doubled, so its not like every unit really is doubled.

My goal was for the game to be entirely the same except the fact that there are twice as many men shown on the battlefield. Doubling their cost makes you train less units total because of the expense and if anything that hurts you.

econ21
02-24-2003, 11:28
I would recommend going to the preferences/options and changing the size slider to large. This will increase the sizes of all the units you build by 2/3. The stacking limit is increase proportionately, IIRC, so you will see more men on the battlefield. The costs also increase proportionately, but in my experience it is the 16 unit limit, not the cost, which is the binding constraint for battles with your main army.

I actually don't like the big units in themselves (they are rather unwieldy on the battlefield) but the big benefit is that it reduces the role that reinforcements make on the battlefield. This is arguably more realistic and makes for a more challenging game against the AI, as it is harder to hold off a numerically superior AI army with a small high quality army.

A.Saturnus
02-24-2003, 12:37
I have played the Germans with huge units (but not finished yet). The reinforcements are reduced, but the units are really a bit to big. 120 x-bows in a row are nearly impossible to turn in a battle. Large units are a good compromise. The problem I have is that under anything higher than default, I have to play 800*600 or I get a slide-show. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

Gregoshi
02-24-2003, 16:01
Hi Westland. Thanks for becoming part of the Org.