PDA

View Full Version : 10 More Questions from a Greenhorn

Darth Wart
11-27-2000, 12:57
1. Apparently there is no way of making a lengendary horse dojo....?

2. What, if anything, determines which 16 units you start with in a battle? For example, I just now tried to take Bitchu with like 10,000 guys. Now I have one unit of nothing but 16 units of Nanigata, but they weren't in the starting lineup. They only came in later as reinforcements, even though I am SURE I "invaded" the province first (in the Strategy Map) with them. Is this random? Does the most senior general get first crack? What?

3. In the description of the Shimazu, it says they're "willing to exploit new technologies," and the statue of the Shimazu Shogun has him with what I believe is a arquebus. But do the Shimazu get to use these guns any more effectively, or at any discount? Do the traders land there first? If not, why do they make such a big deal of this? Historical accuracy?

4. One of the patch revisions enables the program to write a "battle log." What is this and how do I read it?

5. If you put two geishas in one province, is the "anti-insurrection" benefit of their presence doubled?

6. If you lower taxes to "very low" or raise them to "punitive" -- do those values reset to "normal" the next autummn? Or do they just stay at that level until you change them.?

7. Is there any way of demobilizing all your unwanted troops (ashigaru) later in the game, short of getting them all killed?

8. "This general is a legend throughout the land," blah blah blah. Does that mean that ALL the troops that fight in a battle in which he merely participates gain a bonus from his presence, or merely the troops under his direct command?

9. Although when a battle is proposed on the Strategy Map, it tells you how many guys you have versus how many guys the enemy has, I can't figure out how to check DURING THE BATTLE how many guys the enemy has left?

10. The Prima Guide says that "entrenched" spearmen will always gain victory over cavalry. But what exactly does "entrenched" mean? Standing still? Concealed in a forest? Holding a position? Or simply that their line hasn't broken?

[This message has been edited by Darth Wart (edited 11-27-2000).]

ShadowKill
11-27-2000, 13:11
Could you ask easier ??? plz these are to hard http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Fear not the sword to your front, but the blade at your back.

http://www.geocities.com/peacekeeper316/Shadow.jpg

hecose
11-27-2000, 21:31
Let me try some of these:

1. To build a legendary horse dojo you need a citadel (the largest type of castle) and a famous horse dojo.

3. I don't think the Shimazu army uses guns especially well compared to the other clans. But they are indeed visited by the Portugese and Dutch earlier, in 1542 and 1560 respectively. No discount on guns either.

4. There is a "logfiles" directory under your STW program directory. If you have set the option to generate logfiles, a log file will be generated for every one of your battles. They are kept in this directory.

6. To change tax level, click on the square near the bottom right hand side of your screen, the square which displays your current koku level. After you set a new tax level, it remains the same until the next time you change it.

7. You can't demobilize troops.

8. All troops that are in the same battle which the general commands gain honour bonuses from him.

9. I don't know of any way to do this.

10. I think "entrenched" means standing still, and holding formation. But actually I find that spearmen are effective against cavalry whether they are standing or attacking. Just don't get flanked by cavalry.

Tenchimuyo
11-27-2000, 22:04
Quote 9. Although when a battle is proposed on the Strategy Map, it tells you how many guys you have versus how many guys the enemy has, I can't figure out how to check DURING THE BATTLE how many guys the enemy has left?[/QUOTE]

I don't think there is a way to determing this.

solypsist
11-28-2000, 14:28
time to belly up to the bar
1. answered already
2. I dunno for sure (am I inspiring confidence in this yet?) but it has nothing to do with generals, unit honor, etc. Frequently during a battle you may end up with some inane combos, but that's what the Withdraw from Battle button is for-to get rid of the useless units. The best remedy right now is make sure every banner you place has something useful in it, I would not recommend a banner of nothing but Ashigaru (say, as filler) since you may well end up with nothing but Ashigaru for your starting lineup.
3.already answered.
4.answered (thx hecose)
5.only Shinobi have cumulative effects on morale (but if you put 15 on them and there's a rebellion on an enemy province, they all get honor!).
6.hecose again.
7.you cant demobilize, but you CAN combine them into/up to full-strength units to make them useful again.
8.answered.
9.answered.
10.answered already, but 'entrenched' is a bullshit word. Spears are effective at all times against cav, except when flanked. Holding position is a good way of minimalizing losses (for example if your Ashigaru are charged by a Daimyo's heavy cav bodygaurd) until you can get a real combat unit into the fight.

hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by solypsist (edited 11-28-2000).]

ShadowKill
11-28-2000, 20:25
ok now that those are all answered got anymore http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Fear not the sword to your front, but the blade at your back.

http://www.geocities.com/peacekeeper316/Shadow.jpg