PDA

View Full Version : World war 2:TotalWar would be great!

arreseark
04-07-2003, 10:21
Hi

First of all I'm sorry if my English level is not good.

I bought MTW months ago and I think the money spent was worth. It's a great game. Congratulations

Now, I would like to suggest a totalwar game based on the 2nd World War. I think it could be the best strategy game in a long time.

If you are a TW fan and you agree width me say it here. If we are a lot we may have a World War2: Total War

Fragony
04-07-2003, 11:23
WW2 was a very different concept of war, I don't see how it could work. WW1 could work better IMO, but only if you limit the game to the trenchwar, which was only a small (but important) aspect of WW1. Only using an small aspect of a war wouldn't do justice to the Total-war series.

arreseark
04-07-2003, 13:12
I see it was a different war. But I think that a game based on WW2 using TW style could work. Of course, it would need some adaptations but no need of loosing TW spirit.

There were no princesses and interest marriages in WW2, but there was diplomacy and alliances betwen nations. There were no castles to conquer, but there were cities and need of controling strategic zones (cities, airports, factories, roads, bridges...). No walls, but trenchs. No ballista towers, but anti-aerial batteries. Etc.

There was need of improving military industry (developping better troops, machine guns, tanks, planes... ).

There was need of logistic (troop transport, fuel/ammo distribution...).

The most difficult thing IMO is to insert air combat in the game and to combine it with ground combat.

It was a different war, but I think it could work.

KukriKhan
04-07-2003, 13:44
Welcome arreseark, and thanks for your thoughts http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

The next installment in the TW series (Rome:TotalWar) will introduce road management to the strategy. That development may well lead to a way to advance the game closer to the 20th century.

Major Robert Dump
04-07-2003, 13:58
there have been some good WW2 turn based and real time games created, but they all were based on history and didnt have a 1v1 head-to-head option....instead you had to att or def and complete some silly map-specific objective that made the game loaded for/against the att/def IMO.

Sounds great, tho, but it would be a lot of work to implement.

Gregoshi
04-07-2003, 14:00
Hello arreseark. Thanks for dropping by. Your English seems fine to me.

I don't know if you could capture the right flavour of the World Wars in TW without major changes. The time scale of the WWs is too short (4-6 years) and the scale of battles too large - 100,000-millions of men over battlesfields 10-100 miles across. However, that being said, it would be a cool game.

ABG
04-07-2003, 14:24
I see another problem on the battlefield, as in WW2 practicaly all fights were with machine guns and so on. It should be hard to simulate the hand to hand fight.

Lechev
04-07-2003, 14:41
If interest in WW2 then CC1 to CC5 is for you ( sorry Mod i know im not suppose to say anything which is not related to TW.. just to make a point ).

IMHO TW so far is very successful in this current gene and therefore should stay in its holding. The closest and most likely scenario I could see is Napoleonic Warfare in Europe ( In which, they can also create an expansion pack based on the American independance war to the War with the Indians with a historical battle in the El Alamo ? )

There is so much possiblity in future developement but to create a WW2 type of warfare may need a very large Map to start on. Just my 2 cents http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/idea.gif

Gregoshi
04-07-2003, 14:52
Quote[/b] ]sorry Mod i know im not suppose to say anything which is not related to TW...

Who ever said that? Lechev, you'll have to do better than that for us to get out our thumbscrews. Almost any subject is allowed in the Entrance Hall. Besides, your comment did have a tie-in with discussion about a WW2 Total War, so rest easy Lechev. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/pat.gif

Lechev
04-07-2003, 15:21
Thanks Gregoshi. I must admit i m quite jittery when i see your reply. But rest easy once i see there is no lock sign in the post. Again thanks for the understanding. Cheers http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Lord Of Storms
04-07-2003, 15:35
Quote[/b] (Lechev @ April 07 2003,08:41)]IMHO TW so far is very successful in this current gene and therefore should stay in its holding. The closest and most likely scenario I could see is Napoleonic Warfare in Europe
Hi Lechev, And The Lords are doing just that , we are currently working on a Mod for the Napoleonic era, look for the Napoleonic Mod thread in the dungeon, we also have a Napoleonic unit pack that is available now for test play, Muskets ,Carbines and Charging Cavalry with sabres, give it a try I sure you will enjoy it. But it goes to show how versatile the MTW game engine actually is, and alot is being done in the area of changing the face of the whole MTW map, so I think you will see alot more interesting mods in the future..

Kongamato
04-07-2003, 17:10
I think that there are too many World War II games out right now. TW should do something original and different.

Stormer
04-07-2003, 17:21
aint gonna happen so why post it..

not trying to sound grumpy but look in reality aint gonna happen... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wacko.gif

Lechev
04-07-2003, 17:48
Quote[/b] (Lord Of Storms @ April 07 2003,22:35)]
Quote[/b] (Lechev @ April 07 2003,08:41)]IMHO TW so far is very successful in this current gene and therefore should stay in its holding. The closest and most likely scenario I could see is Napoleonic Warfare in Europe
Hi Lechev, And The Lords are doing just that , we are currently working on a Mod for the Napoleonic era, look for the Napoleonic Mod thread in the dungeon, we also have a Napoleonic unit pack that is available now for test play, Muskets ,Carbines and Charging Cavalry with sabres, give it a try I sure you will enjoy it. But it goes to show how versatile the MTW game engine actually is, and alot is being done in the area of changing the face of the whole MTW map, so I think you will see alot more interesting mods in the future..
Hi Storm, Thanks m8 aprreciate for the recommendation. Anyway will i see u in the multiplayer? I would like to meet up and make battle with u guys during the weekends.Cheers http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

lonewolf371
04-08-2003, 01:17
Well, the idea in general sounds interesting but the problem is, well, It doesn't exactly coincide with the Total War game style. The closest you can find of this currently is the Close Combat series, which quite frankly I've lost a taste to. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

As for uniqueness, something featuring the Greek period or Babylon would be interesting, but a Napolean: Total War would be awesome with all the rank and file formations and smoke... You have no idea how cool all that smoke looks until you've played Empire Earth.