PDA

View Full Version : Two Campaigns

amagi
04-06-2003, 01:55
I just posted a new shogun file. Amagi.zip and Test_Amagi.zip contain two campaigns for Shogun: Sengoku 1535 and Sengoku 1590. The first starts the game five years later, which means that some clans are closer to getting their first heir. The clans are also spaced further apart and the Mori are added. Sengoku 1590 is a late game with a large army at Yamashiro. Clans start with about thirty units and some shinobi.

The file includes a reworked version of the Shogun 1.03 update which was only for multiplayer. I kept most of the alterations for single player, speeded up the cavalry and reworked the MI special units so they could be used. I also restored the naginata cavalry as heavy cavalry. I haven't been able to test the Mongol units yet, though the Japanese units seem to work. The missile units may be slightly too strong.

The campaigns extract straight to your Shogun directory, though you should backup troopstats.txt projectiles.txt beforehand.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for a second version. I've tested both campaigns, though not with all clans. The armies rout slightly more, and the smaller troop numbers help to create elite units. Is there a mod which instructs the AI to rebuild its damaged units rather than build new ones taking a season more?

I like Medieval, though I miss the seasons and the atmosphere of Shogun. If only it could be upgraded for bigger maps and armies and the improved sieges....

Gregoshi
04-06-2003, 06:18
Hello amagi. Thanks for the Shogun mods. We don't see too many of them these days. I agree with you about the atmosphere of STW is much richer than that in MTW.

Heraclius
04-06-2003, 06:30
besides seasons the things I really, really miss about Shogun were those great event animations and the excellent throne room. They gave so much flair, flavor and color to Shogun. It brings a tear to my eye that they were not included in MTW. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

BDC
04-06-2003, 14:46
But only if they could be skipped *remembers hours spent watching emmissaires make idiots of themselves*

Divine Wind
04-06-2003, 21:50
Quote[/b] (BDC @ April 06 2003,08:46)]But only if they could be skipped *remembers hours spent watching emmissaires make idiots of themselves*
True ..but i did love those idiots http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Matt Deckard
04-11-2003, 12:22
Those idiots were easy to assasinate, thus allowing my ninjas to be supreme take that emmisionary fools

amagi
04-13-2003, 17:57
I just posted an update to 'Two Campaigns': 'Three Campaigns'. I made some changes to the TroopStats, Projectiles invasion threshold and unitchoice texts for a better balanced game. The original stats are included. The campaigns have also been changed slighty for harder starting positions. Sengoku 1555, with the most famous generals, is the bast Shogun I have ever played, and if you try only one of my campaigns I would recommend this one.

There were problems with Shogun: the AI attacked too often, not often enough with allies and caused rebellions in the early game. I have tried to fix some of these problems. Is there any guide for modifying the unitchoice and building texts? There seem to be few alternative mods despite Shogun being easy to modify with its text files.

I was also thinking of replacing the small maps with medium sized ones from the map pack. I was hoping to fight on fairer terrain. The AI is poor, but how often have you killed hundreds from the safety of a 'ledge', riverbank or wood? Were there any Sengoku battles fought over bridges? Any opinions?

'A man who says black is white when he sees it on a small scale but says black is black when he sees it on a large scale is one who cannot tell black from white'.

Aggreesive war is wrong, protesters using 'Don't Attack Iraq' banners to support a domestic Phoenix police state and Gateshead Newcastle child mutilation is also wrong.

amagi
04-21-2003, 13:05
I looked at the beta files section and amagi1.1 didn't seem to be there, so I've reposted it.

The early and middle games seem to be working better, though I still can't get the AI clans to build armies with improved weapons and armour, probably because I can't get them to build the right buildings.

I prefer to mod Shogun to try to get play balance right than Medieval, it is easier to see a warlord conquering Japan than the large areas of Europe, Asia and Africa in Medieval. The Shogun addon was able to use the same map, because it was on the right scale to start with. Sengoku Jidai is just an excellent subject for a game.

Multiplayer without the campaign game doesn't seem to make much sense though, just a series of one-off battles with artificial troops. Shogun 2 multiplayer campaigns would make for some superb LAN games. The Master of Orion 3 team tried to cross MOO with Homeworld, unfortunately the game seems full of bugs, so they're working with modders to put it right. If we improve Shogun, it might encourage CA to release a multiplayer version, rather than just new versions where the singleplayer and multiplayer games are still divided from each other.

Gregoshi
04-21-2003, 20:05
I'd have to agree with your comments about the current state of MP. I'm wondering though if a MP campaign will eliminate the split. The current MPs are obsessed with fair maps and fair armies, something which most likely won't happen in a MP campaign. There's a chance at least that the current MPs will remain split apart. There may be more SPs going to the MP campaign than MPs going switching to it. I could be wrong though. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif