PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly We need this implemented also

FasT
01-11-2003, 12:48
About time and i know and other have ask before about this...
Why can't we have and make our own pre set formation?
This be very helpful in some games ie flat maps..save much time...
Also help in SP as well http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/pat.gif

Magyar Khan
01-11-2003, 13:37
but what about recalling same last army when hosting if the floring amount is same as last battle hosted..... that would help so much,

its ez to programm and requested before...

sigh

FasT
01-11-2003, 13:55
so hopefully they will get their finger out and give us good value for money(2patches) http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif

FasT
01-13-2003, 22:06
Patches more Patches....

Knight_Yellow
01-13-2003, 22:08
well the new expansion is considered the 2nd patch.

but some have a problem with paying for a patch,

not me though there be scotts in them there cd's.

Postino
01-13-2003, 22:45
i delved into deciphering the formation codes and gave up when i realized that self made fromations would cause out-oof-sync on MP, where i wanted to use them.

the code groups the units into its basic elements. you can differ between spear foot, elite foot and non-elite melee foot, but that is it. similar with cav. you can also limit the # of units in a "line." say a limit of 4 units in your front line, all spear inf. if you take 6 units of spears then 4 will go there and the rest whever you designate them but the method the comp uses to decide which 4 units to put in front is a bit of a mystety.

co-ordinates are given in a grid pattern, using x-y-z axis. changes ould be fairly easy to implement but would take testing to get it the way you want it. presumably a formation editor would stand outside of the cheater checker, and i would be all for it. however unless you got everyone to agree to a set of formations in MTW, you wont see it. just like the stats from teh wolves...fat chance(while i am in favor of it too).

recall the last army...that too would be marvelous. or perhaps save army setups according to florin, like one can save custom game setups in SP.

Dionysus9
01-14-2003, 04:49
Ideally we would have an Army Editor where we could select a florin amount and then pre-purchase our armies. It would have two parts to it.

First, You could save the army under a filename and then when you get to the MP Army Selection screen you could just load that army.

Load "Lancer Rush Spaniards", or "Defensive English".

That would be the first part of the army editor and it would create a directory for each pre-purchased army.

The second part would be custom formations. After you pre-purchase the army you can pre-deploy them also. The editor would take you to a flat map and you could deploy them like normal. At any point you could save the formation under a file name. Save "Defend Rush" or Save "Attack left", etc. This file would be saved in the directory you just created--so it would be army specific.

Load "Lancer Rush Spaniards, Attack left" and you are already to deploy. If you need to do some adjusting you should have a chance once you get to the battle map, but most of your work would be done already.

Now comes the best part. You should be able to save multiple formations for your pre-purchased army. Currently you have the Army Formation command that nobody uses because it produces largely hokey formations. But if you could customize the Army Formations everyone would use it. So, if you start with "Lancer Rush Spaniards, Attack left" and realize the player on your left has all spears you go to Army Formation and click on "Attack Right", which is a custom formation you saved from the editor. Now your Army forms up in Attack Right formation (however you have defined it).

Ok since I'm rolling on this-- we also need a ghost of the army for movement purposes. Currently, if you hold ALT-RIGHT click and move the mouse around when you have your grouped army all selected you see a ghost of where the army will turn to. Why dont we get this with ALT-LEFT click? It should work for both.

More issues-- a problem I run into sometimes when clicking on unit icons at the bottom of the map. The spaces btween the unit icons let you click on the battle map. So sometimes if I am holding CTRL and selecting units for a group, I end up ordering a move order instead of grabbing a unit because I hit between the icons. Gah this is annoying. If you use the F3? command to shrink to widescreen it still happens. The Unit Icon area needs to be a NO CLICK area.
No clicking between unit icons.

This is turning into a wishlist, so why not:
POINTING to locations on the battle map. Some have said use "flares" others suggest "flags". I think it would be cool if you just used something like CTRL-SHFT-LEFTCLICK and you could "color" part of the battlemap with your army colors. Kinda like spraypainting in Paintshop. It would glow red, for example, or yellow--both on the battlemap and on the minimap. Call this "pointing."

So you say-- head for the hill. "which hill?" your allies say. "I will point to it", then color the hill with the point command. The effects would only be visible to allies and only for 30 seconds or so.

You could say, move your alan cav here (point). Go around to the back, right here (point). A little message could come up that says "Bachus is pointing" so you know to look around.

This game has SO much potential-- if it is given the attention it deserves it will become a mainstay of modern gaming. If CA doesn't give it the attention it deserves it might take 5-10 years, but someone else will compete with it and take the market share away.

Anyway, sorry to go crazy on this topic.

FasT
01-14-2003, 16:29
2 true Dion....

Acronym
01-15-2003, 02:02
I've been wanting a formation editor since STW. Or even a saved army. IF in mp all the saved armies loaded to 0 valor by default, then we could just adjust it.

longjohn2
01-17-2003, 01:07
Although I haven't tested it, making your own custon formations should work in MP, even if your opponent has different formation files.

The reason being that the formation commands aren't core commands. They're just translated into a set of move or placement commands, and it's these that are transmitted accross the net.

Magyar Khan
01-17-2003, 03:00
fixed formations take away the beauty of the game and should never been encouraged by teh community elders

(and teh gamedevelopers http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smokin.gif )

Dionysus9
01-17-2003, 07:20
...Im not so sure custom formations are the devil. As armies get bigger and bigger a general must be able to order his troops in pre-defined maneuvers.

Dionysus9
01-17-2003, 07:21
and hi longjohn *waves* goood to see you

FasT
01-17-2003, 19:43
Many armies many tactic's.......
What im sayin is u custom ur own battle formation for each army...U can adjust them a little to suit each battle.

Puzz3D
01-17-2003, 21:24
Customized formations would not take the beauty out of the game for me. I'm going to look into this custom formation idea because it would save me a lot of time during deployment. Besides, there is nothing preventing me from moving units around after the custom formation has been recalled. Thx LongJohn.

FasT
01-17-2003, 21:48
to true PuZZ http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Dionysus9
01-17-2003, 23:27
...and, a player who becomes too dependant on his custom formations will grow lazy and weak.

FasT
01-18-2003, 03:49
Quote[/b] (Dionysus9 @ Jan. 17 2003,16:27)]...and, a player who becomes too dependant on his custom formations will grow lazy and weak.
why say that u could have 10 slots of pre-made custom setups..and change them whenever u want......
Also u could save a certain setup for ur fav map;)

Would save much time..