Ok the big issues at the moment concern the following points

Honour calculations
leagues and tourneys
Honour deduction for league campers
Mods
Cheating
On-line multiplayer campaigns
Patch 1.13

Honour Calculations: I have been reading the posts concerning the method used and possible changes to the system. We have not as yet got a clearly better method that every one agrees on. So for now this will stay the same, however other changes we intend to make will have an effect on the leagues that will improve things as a whole (see below).

leagues and tourneys: We are currently looking into running official well structured and supported online events to start at some point next year. This however has some problem areas which we need to address, legally there are several issues concerning the laws for competitions in different countries. Other gamming networks get around this by making the competitions exclusive to residents of the USA only and this is a path which we will not be going down. Also the law in many European countries state that competitions must not require any purchases to enter, this means that a postal draw system must also be in place and again that is a very undesirable option. Then there are the age restrictions that require fax confirmations etc. To operate events within these restrictions requires an extensive infrastructure and this will take time to put in place.

For the mean time we continue to support the Fan and Clan run tourneys and are willing to donate prizes for these as well as promote them on the site as we do now. I will be posting a form on the site within the next week to make it quicker and easier to post news about tourneys on the site.

Honour deduction for league campers: This is something we should be able to put in place early next year, however there has been some mixed reactions from the community about this so I will put this to the vote using a poll on the community site.

Mods: A big issue and an important one. We totally understand the need for mods to keep a game interesting and dynamic. In the near future you will be able to create additional content for the game - new maps, new battle types. By giving you this power we hope you to see your creative genius come to the fore and we'll also be able to see what you really want in a game. Keep watching this space for more news of the editors that are coming your way early next year.

Cheating: We take this very seriously and we are attempting to address this as much as possible. Concerning the Koku cheat using certain applications, we are aware of this and believe we can stop this from happening but this modification requires quite a major software re-write and will not make it into patch 1.13.

As for the problem concerning drops this is quite a tricky issue and is still under debate as to the best way to counteract it. Possibly recording drops against wins is one way, we are looking into this and other ideas now.

On-line multiplayer campaigns are also coming your way which I know will get you all excited. You will finally have a chance to drop a ninja on your friends and rivals. This will also allow you to play more of your own games on your own servers and fansites. The opportunity will be there to play full campaigns (strategy map and battles) or just the thought-provoking strategy game.

Patch 1.13: (See the community site for latest feature list) We are trying our very hardest to get V1.13 out just before Christmas but it is going to be very touch and go! Keep watching the site for the latest news.

We will continue to monitor the forums and keep you up to date of any news.

later

------------------
The Shogun
Bringinng wisdom in an unwise world

11-29-2000, 23:46
way to go Richie, the peasants should be happy for another few days... http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

thanks
------------------
the great lord
http://www.geocities.com/vinyljock/monn_t.gif jd

[This message has been edited by JayDee Daidoji (edited 11-29-2000).]

Hoichi
11-29-2000, 23:55
no more having to log onto EA for multiplay?

BanzaiZAP
11-30-2000, 01:23
Thanks for the news! And I completely agree about keeping it global, rather than national. Much more effort, but it's an international game! And as a Single Player person (at least until I can get decent bandwidth) I don't really care about half of it. ;> Looking forward to future news!
Have fun!

-- B)

solypsist
11-30-2000, 01:32
good post. nice and direct.
and timely, too.

ShadowKill
11-30-2000, 01:33
Hey glad to see you here again SHOGUN and I know you are working hard to bend to are every whim http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif thanks for the undate it is nice to see some kind off a timeline and to see you showing intrest into what some of us have to say

------------------
Fear not the sword to your front, but the blade at your back.

http://www.geocities.com/peacekeeper316/Shadow.jpg

horatio
11-30-2000, 02:32
Cool, mods and a campaign!
Now here's a question: Will the upcoming campaign model be available for modification too?... It would be cool if there was a mini-campaign option....

Avenging Warrior
11-30-2000, 03:44
Great stuff, Richie! I'm beginning to have more and more faith in the developers. By the way, as someone already mentioned (which was also brought up many times before), what about a play via TCP/IP option, as opposed to always having to use EA|Play?

------------------
Life has no meaning. Do not concern yourself with it.

IRONLUNG
11-30-2000, 04:28
Good news Richie.

------------------
IRONLUNG http://smiles.kpd.ru/icon2.gif

Zen Blade
11-30-2000, 04:34
cool shogun!

however, how about modifying the naming thing to allow players to change clan affiliation without changing names?

or, maybe you guys could just destroy some of those clans/player names out there that aren't being used anymore.

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG

Magyar Khan
11-30-2000, 05:43
yeah destroy a name that isnt used in 30 days

Hirosito
11-30-2000, 06:33
i think 30 days is a bit harsh! i know when Deus Ex came out i didn't touch Shogun and sometimes people got loads to do (exams). I don't think 60 days would be much of an inconvenience.

------------------
Hirosito Mori

A warrior's wisdom is shown in the treating of his defeated opponent http://cgi.tripod.com/smilecwm/cgi-bin/s/owen/sid.gif

Shiro
11-30-2000, 08:57
Thanks for the update! I can't wait till the online campaign. . .
-Shiro

Zen Blade
11-30-2000, 11:14
ok, 60 days.

then destroy a clan and/or any persons who have not been used in that time.
Hell, this would allow half the names currently being taken up to be freed up. (clan names included)
--just send out a little notice like, "if you do not use this account within the next week, it will be burned alive" or something...

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG

Tenchimuyo
11-30-2000, 11:18
60 days, good idea! Sine there might be occasions when someone has to make a buisness trip or vacation and those kinds of things.

Methabaron
11-30-2000, 12:02
Looking good. Impressed I am. I must say... but... time will tell, time will tell...

Metha

------------------
"...Violence is the last resort of the incompetent..."

Methabaron
11-30-2000, 14:24
Mmmmm http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

Metha

------------------
"It is astonishing with how little wisdom mankind can be governed, when that little wisdom is its own."

Puzz3D
12-01-2000, 02:04
Thanks for this info Richie. This is all very encouraging. I was recently declared "obsessed" with Shogun Total War; having played no other computer game since June.

I would also be in favor of removing names from the database after some period of non-use such as 60 days. This would have to be carefully implemented. This might have some impact on rating ladder campers.