PDA

View Full Version : The rankings....Again.

The Scourge
12-01-2000, 05:31
Just been cheaking the league table for the first time in a while.
So who are these Honour means nothing clan?
Never heard of em before ,and all of a sudden they hold the top 3 slots.
Yeah i know.I should be paying more attention.
And while im on the subject.Don't you think that all you players ,who are useing more than 1 name ,are being just a little unfair on players who may otherwise have had a place in the top hundred.

The Black Ship
12-01-2000, 05:45
Well Scourge,

What can they do about it now? EA won't purge them from the rankings now that their record is in there...so we're all stuck with http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
Niger Navis Navis Sesquiculus ShipOfFear

Slyspy
12-01-2000, 05:58
I would be happy for a place in the top 8000! My honour is less than the 100 issued to newbies thanks to a rather steep learning curve! But who are the 8000 people above me? How many are redundant names, newbies who registered but never did start playing online, or experienced players using more than one name? Are those 8000 people or just names. Judging by the usual suspects inhabiting EAplay I suspect that most of those above me are redundant names rather than active players. Although I'm not fussed about the ranking (who would be with my skill?) it is annoying to realise that the system can rank inactive names above me!

------------------
"Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

solypsist
12-01-2000, 06:03
hmm..yeah that honor means nothing is probably rigged in some way- complicit friends and such.

Dwimmerlaik
12-01-2000, 06:49
I had a rather dodgy experience playing one of them..I won't say who but he rushed me the first time and caught me off guard (first time anyone rushed me) and then the second time I had him routing when the game inexplicably dropped me (I have a T1 connection) and he won coz he hosted...the rest I leave to the imagination..

------------------
To be happy it is necessary not to be too intelligent
- Flaubert-

http://cgi.tripod.com/smilecwm/cgi-bin/s/ff4summon/indra.gif

Ocelot
12-01-2000, 09:40
Quote then the second time I had him routing when the game inexplicably dropped me (I have a T1 connection) and he won coz he hosted...the rest I leave to the imagination..[/QUOTE]

If you look at the top ranked players and see the ones that have played less than say fifty games, chances are that is how they got there. They host and if they win then they win, but when they're about to lose, they drop you and still get the win. I've had this experience with one of them. I wish I could say his name but oh well...

In a future patch, dropped games should NOT be counted. Man this game has so many problems I don't know why I still play... No wonder there are barely any people on at the same time. All the smart people have moved on to other games that got it right.

The Black Ship
12-01-2000, 10:58
Dropped games are not supposed to count if the HOST drops. I hope everyone is mistaken, but so many of you are posting that they count as a win for an escaping/dropping host it makes me suspicious.

Is this really happening with this much frequency? http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
Niger Navis Navis Sesquiculus ShipOfFear

ShadowKill
12-01-2000, 12:36
well the honour means nothing caln i have only been able to fight one of them and he routed my army so in other words i got my ass kicked. but they got that high by never fighting anyone of low honour they all check it before they will fight you. which is not that bad as soon as the new patch comes out you will see alot more people ging up higher on the top 100 and it will also allow the people that are still learning to fight others that are still learning.

------------------
Fear not the sword to your front, but the blade at your back.

http://www.geocities.com/peacekeeper316/Shadow.jpg

ShadowKill
12-01-2000, 12:41
btw those new guys in the top 3 spots they play good and i don't think that they cheated in anyway to get there
and as for the host dropping or esc. no-one gets the win it goes down as a incomplete so before you start complaining know what you are talking about

Ok now you all can go back to flaming

------------------
Fear not the sword to your front, but the blade at your back.

http://www.geocities.com/peacekeeper316/Shadow.jpg

solypsist
12-01-2000, 14:35
Hmmm.....what happened to that other guy with 29 wins and no losses that was #1 a few weeks ago? Everyone here who played him mentioned he was pretty awesome.

Anyway, I hardly look at the Top 100 (except to see where ShipOFear sits compared to me) http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif so it really doesn't matter.

FearOrBeSori
12-01-2000, 15:26
Soly if u didn't notice Zandu is part of Clan AMP which of course is a one man clan, Nuff said - Sori

TosaInu
12-01-2000, 16:17
Hello,

We have a CD key. That should solve the problem. If a person wants to make a nick for STW, then he should enter his CDkey. Only 1 nick should be allowed per CDkey.
Only one record/stats will be made for 'lifetime'. If the person wants to change his nick or change clan he should edit his 'profile', but he will keep his record. If your honour is lowered to 70, then you'll have to fight to make it 100 again.

------------------
Ja mata
Toda TosaInu

The Daimyo
12-01-2000, 16:48
Well, it appears to me that these guys (or guy, ahem) is raping the Honor System for all it's worth (nothing now, point proved!). Look at all of the players in that clan, and look up the last 50 battles for each one of them. Notice a trend.
Obviously they are out to make a very good point of matters, but since they haven't come forward to say " Yeah we're doing this to shake things up,..." then their position with me and the other players is very simple, they don't get to HOST our games. If you're dumb enough to play them now that this is quite obvious, then you deserve the drop you'll get if you start beating them.
Guess we'll see if anything will be done anytime soon about these issues.

BAH!

Link Shumeisan
12-01-2000, 18:08
Sori,
AMP is not a one man clan but perhaps a one man multiple nicks clan, I don't know...
Tosa,
I find your idea a great one !

For these HonourMeansNothing guys, I have personaly never played them. And looking to their recorded battles I will certainly not if they are hosting. I will perhaps using one of my old names http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

FearOrBeSori
12-01-2000, 20:52
Quote Originally posted by Link Shumeisan:
Sori,
AMP is not a one man clan but perhaps a one man multiple nicks clan
[/QUOTE]

That is what I meant by a one man clan. Lates - Sori

The Scourge
12-01-2000, 23:41
I have to admit.I found the name honour means nothing very intriguing when i first saw it. The first thing that sprang to mind was.Is this a clan that cheats ,and doesn't care who knows it(If so,what a waste of time.).Or is this a clan that set out to get to the top by any means ,without actually cheating .
Rushing is not cheating.Nor is camping ,or seaking out the most highly honoured opposition.
Some may not like it,but its not cheating.
If this is the case,as Shadow kill says.
Then they have succeeded admirably.
I mean that takes some kind of discipline,right.
Anyway.It would be nice if one of em would post,but maybe refusing to justify their methods or reasons may be a part of their agenda.

[This message has been edited by The Scourge (edited 12-01-2000).]

Rob
12-01-2000, 23:50
I personally think they're a 'protest' clan, set up to demonstrate how easy it is to cheat the system. There have been several of these players/clans who have done exactly this in order to demonstrate just how weak the ranking system is. This new clan may be a reaction to the new clan league.

------------------
Honour to Clan Akai Ken

Dwimmerlaik
12-02-2000, 00:46
Shadowkill let me clarify a few points here..I did not in any way imply that rushing was not a valid tactic..i merely registered my surprise at it as it was my first exposure to it MP. Secondly, I know very well that the host ESC should invalidate the match however I states very clearly that I was the one who was dropped without warning and in a manner likely to raise suspicion. So before you start blathering on about things you do not/choose not to know about make sure you're right ok?

------------------
To be happy it is necessary not to be too intelligent
- Flaubert-

http://cgi.tripod.com/smilecwm/cgi-bin/s/ff4summon/indra.gif

solypsist
12-02-2000, 01:57
wow. a lot of people sure are bent about the whole rankings thing. with people accusing others of manipulating the system to prove a point, or just to show off.

this really does matter to you, doesnt it?

as for the cd-key idea, it's not a good one. what happens when i get tired of my stw game and decide to sell it to my friend or something? now he's stuck with my player profile (since he can't make a new one) and while he can change his name, he can't undo the wins/losses/score and so much for starting with a clean slate.
anyway, consider the fact that there will come a day when this game, or that top 100 chart, won't mean anything to you and you'll wonder why you made so much noise about something so ephemeral for such a long time. yeah it's a problem, but it's really no big deal.

ShaiHulud
12-02-2000, 04:03
I played my 3rd game ever against one of the Honor is Nothing names. He lost (as host)
but I was too new to understand how I got no victory. Gave him a 2nd game which he won, THAT game was recorded.
Two days later in Game room a group of Fears were incensed that the same player had apparently dropped against them (as host) when losing but cruised on to victories with no problem.
It seems clear that more than skillful play is involved. I immediately suspect any record
that boasts only one loss of 40 battles. Against opponents of caliber even the best will suffer a higher percentage of losses. It would seem to be a statistical anomaly to acheive such a record against any but the lowest of ability. Against those types of opponents it would, again, be difficult to quickly increase in Honor.

------------------
Wind fells blossoms, rain
fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks

The Scourge
12-02-2000, 04:29
Well what do you know.
I was just cheaking my record,because last night i beat a top hundred player,and wanted to see how much of a boost it gave me.
Seems the win was not recorded.Even though i won.
In fact, for a top hundred player,he wasn't all that.
Guess which clan he was a member of.

Link(Micke)San
12-02-2000, 12:23
Guys....wake up!
Honourmeansnothing are manipulating the ladder, he even told me so in private chat in game lobby...
And ask Amp or Redstorm and many other veterans that played this guy....when they where winning he drooped them!
Check the Battle record of the honourmeansnothing clan members and see for your selfs...
He might be a good player, but when he lose he Esc........ and thats the same thing as cheating in my eyes!!

May the honour be with you all
-LinkSan

TosaInu
12-06-2000, 14:12
Hello,

Getting tired of shogun Solypsist san?

If one buys a second hand car, the 10,000 miles the car has travelled can't be reversed nor damage done to the engine due to low oilpressure.

Ea might reset the honour to 100 every 3 months to start a new competition.

Is online cheating and spoiling others pleasure not a big deal?

------------------
Ja mata
Toda TosaInu

solypsist
12-06-2000, 15:06
In the event EA resets the rankings every three months, three weeks, or three days, whomever is cheating is just going to keep doing it, while the rest of us will have to start all over (those are keeping score, and I sometimes do).
Erasing people's hard work just for the sake of presenting an appearance of handling a cheating problem isn't going to do anything but perpetuate it; cheaters often have a goal in mind and will stop once they see that no one really cares that they're #1 or whatever ranking.

TosaInu
12-06-2000, 18:33
Hello,

The reset is not to prevent cheating.

I said that one profile per CD key might prevent some kinds of cheating (removing redundant profiles might also speed up the server).

I'm only online for about a month now; didn't CA reset the rankings in about september?

Yes, true: no matter how good you protect a thing it will be cracked/cheated.

------------------
Ja mata
Toda TosaInu