PDA

View Full Version : Some new vices I'd like to see

portent88
03-03-2003, 16:43
I'd love to see some faction specific vices or even general specific vices.

Like in one campaign I had a general basically conquer the entire iberian peninsula. It would be great he got the Spanish fear him vice which grants +1 command when attacking the spanish.

I also had a general that was beaten three straight times by the english, but not only the english, but the same english general. Surely this must have wreaked havoc on his psychy when facing the english(Fears English granting -1 to command when facing the english). Not only that, imagine being beaten over an over again by the same general. I'd love to see a Fears vice which removes 2 command stars when facing that general.

It would really add more of a personality to each general. It would also add a sort of personal history to each general.

Just an idea.

Maniac
03-03-2003, 19:12
Cool idea http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/idea.gif

How about fear of a type of unit after a general gets captured or most of his unit is slain by a certain type of unit? Would probably add a morale or command penalty.

Or vice versa...if the unit has slain a lot of a certain type of troops then it could get for eg. Peasant Slayer and get command/dread/morale bonuses against that type.

Kraxis
03-03-2003, 19:53
Cool idea... I would love that.

But really, it would benefit us the most, we tend to win battles much more than we lose, thus the AI factions will soon be fearing us.

And I wouldn't like that thing about units. Can you imagine you old royal general after 200 years? Peasant Slayer, Feudal Sergeant Slayer, Crossbow Slayer... ect ect. That would not be fun, no unit would dare face him.

Kongamato
03-04-2003, 01:23
There need to be Age vices

Extremely Immature
Slightly Immature
Young
Vices which decrease command, acumen, influence and happiness but may improve health.

Senior
Aged
Extremely Aged
Vices which decrease health and command but may increase acumen and other things.

These vices would add realistic effects of aging, and would help the old generals develop health problems and die, and would give problems to young generals and kings. Since rebel uprisings occur due to immature royals coming of age, the low command and acumen may assist in the crushing of the rebellion.

Demon of Light
03-04-2003, 02:46
I like the faction specific idea and even the general specific idea has merit. I can imagine a virtue like Thorn in his Enemies Side: +1 command when facing the English.
next in the chain might be: Knows His Enemy: +2 command when facing the English. Followed by : Scourge of the English. +3 command when facing the English. I think I would limit each general to one faction though. otherwise, you'd end up with repeated virtues.

ichi
03-04-2003, 03:55
Portent: What a great concept.

How about these:

Afraid of trees/Afraid of Open Plains (-1 in these areas)
Frightened by horses (-1 morale when near any horse)
Craps his pants (no friendly unit will stay near him when he loses morale)
One-eyed (Reduced camera vision after unit gets mauled by archers)
Afraid of Heights (-1 valor when fighting on steep slopes)
Really Freakin Fat (reduced movement speed)
Stoner (unafraid during battle, but frequently forgets to show up on time)
Nazi (+1 Attack when invading France, HRE only)
Surrender Monkey (-5 defence, French only)
Extremely self-conscious (-1 command when others are watching)
Braver than smart (+3 Charge, for a moment)
Deaf (-2 acumen after standing too close to a cannon)
Weak Bladder (must leave the field of battle every 20 to 30 minutes)
Bad Allergies (-1 Command during Spring)
Toady AKA Sycophant (+5 Loyalty)
Nerd AKA Geek (+2 Acumen, -3 Command)

and my favorite . . .

EVIL TINKSTA (+3 Dread, 'cause who knows what this guy is capable of, -2 Command 'cause who the hell can understand him http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

ichi

portent88
03-05-2003, 19:59
LOL, that is some funny stuff ichi. I was just imagining scrolling down to my vices section and seeing some of those.

Despite the humor with which you obviosly wrote them, I think they are great. I geuss what I want to see is more personality to vices and more things the player has to take into account depending on his general's vices or even the vices of the opposing general.

Lets take your afraid of open spaces vice. This would be great. Imagine if an ai general had this vice. The ai would then give him a bunch of units that fight well in trees and station him in a province that was heavily treed. You would know after seeing this generals vices that you better bring some tree units with you as he favors the trees.

rory_20_uk
03-27-2003, 18:18
Ichi, that is a good list you got there. I think that there should be a way that attributes can alter over time - even if nothing is done. Thus a general that has been garrisoning a province for the last 50 years is going to have such attributes as fat, frequently drunk, softsword, but if he is summoned to the front line (even if he is not in direct command) he could quickly loose these attributes. So a general can become a terror if he keeps attacking, but will quickly loose these accolades if he slows down.
Or there could be others like war freak - obsessed with war over everything else (minus points to piety and accumen) psycho - men likely to charge / -2 to loyalty. So you could get generals that are absolute nutters, who will will fight very fast battles, with major casualties on both sides.
Just a thought... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

ichi
03-27-2003, 19:33
Rory:

I concur completely; V&Vs would be better if they flexed over time.

It would be great (and realistic) if a Gen could overcome his 'Good Runner' reputation by standing tough in a battle.

ichi

PseRamesses
04-06-2004, 03:58
Quote[/b] (ichi @ Mar. 03 2003,20:55)]Portent: What a great concept.

How about these:

Afraid of trees/Afraid of Open Plains (-1 in these areas)
Frightened by horses (-1 morale when near any horse)
Craps his pants (no friendly unit will stay near him when he loses morale)
One-eyed (Reduced camera vision after unit gets mauled by archers)
Afraid of Heights (-1 valor when fighting on steep slopes)
Really Freakin Fat (reduced movement speed)
Stoner (unafraid during battle, but frequently forgets to show up on time)
Nazi (+1 Attack when invading France, HRE only)
Extremely self-conscious (-1 command when others are watching)
Braver than smart (+3 Charge, for a moment)
Deaf (-2 acumen after standing too close to a cannon)
Weak Bladder (must leave the field of battle every 20 to 30 minutes)
Bad Allergies (-1 Command during Spring)
Toady AKA Sycophant (+5 Loyalty)
Nerd AKA Geek (+2 Acumen, -3 Command)

and my favorite . . .

EVIL TINKSTA (+3 Dread, 'cause who knows what this guy is capable of, -2 Command 'cause who the hell can understand him http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-joker.gif

ichi
Ichi,
That has to be the greatest v&v list I´ve ever seen. I actually printed a copy and posted it on the wall in my battle-room next to the PC. I´m laughing my pants off Thanks.

ichi
04-06-2004, 04:14
Wow, what a blast from the past

*dislocates shoulder patting self on back*

thanks for the props Pse

ichi

PanzerJaeger
04-06-2004, 04:16
Hahaha Ich, nice list http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

katank
04-06-2004, 04:58
well, along with afraid of open spaces might be tree hugger +2 when deployed in trees.

also, afraid of shadows -2 when in forests or on rainy days.

getting rid of good runner vice might also be good by them standing ground.

however, I think that eloquent should help with good runner vice as he could explain every thing away.

I do believe in faction specific stuff and war mongering ones.

you may have general who is win at all costs and hates english.

Thus, he will launch all his men at the English and kill as much as possible even if it's irrational.

Thus, it could affect units discipline and cause them to impetuously charge mre often.

nick_maxell
04-06-2004, 06:40
Quote[/b] (ichi @ Mar. 03 2003,20:55)]Nazi (+1 Attack when invading France, HRE only)
I m disappointed ichi - that kind of talk should have no place in this forum. dumb stereotypes which don t reflect history at all will just divide the board - bushisms are not history - ask somebody who fought them if they were surrender monkeys - and if you want to use it include a lot of other european nations like poland.
this is still a sensitive issue so please think before you post bushisms and sound as uninformed as the shrub.

rant end

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif

nick

Tricky Lady
04-07-2004, 18:53
An addition to existing v&v's should be nice too. For instance, a catholic general with the zealot virtue (or is it a vice?) should get +2 command when facing muslim or orthodox armies... (or does this already happen?)

Big King Sanctaphrax
04-07-2004, 19:02
Quote[/b] (nick_maxell @ April 06 2004,06:40)]
Quote[/b] (ichi @ Mar. 03 2003,20:55)]Nazi (+1 Attack when invading France, HRE only)
I m disappointed ichi - that kind of talk should have no place in this forum. dumb stereotypes which don t reflect history at all will just divide the board - bushisms are not history - ask somebody who fought them if they were surrender monkeys - and if you want to use it include a lot of other european nations like poland.
this is still a sensitive issue so please think before you post bushisms and sound as uninformed as the shrub.

rant end

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif

nick
I think Ichi was being ironic... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

ThijsP
04-07-2004, 19:11
How about these:
cannibal - +5 dread
narcistic - +2 loyalty -1 influence
satan worshipper - -5 piety +2 dread
underfed - -5 Health -1 Valor

ichi
04-08-2004, 05:00
Politically Incorrect Francophobe -2 honor, -2 piety, - 1 loyalty

My attempt at humor was insensitive.

Forgiveness, please http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-oops.gif

ichi

octavian
04-08-2004, 18:14
aww ichi, dont feel bad, they were *cough* funny *cough*

HopelessCelt
04-08-2004, 18:27
Single Bollocked (like Hitler) - This guy has lost all self respect for himself and ends up drunk most nights - +4 Loyal, -2 Command, -2 Dread

Vampire - You can find this guy at end of battles sucking the blood from the enemy - +1 Dread, -1 Peity

which goes onto

Necrophiliac - This guy usually hangs around at the end of battles, collecting the Crown Jewels of the enemies - +2 Dread, -2 Peity

Forgetfullness - People have seen this person turn upto battle without any trousers (pants if your american) on -
-3 Command

Scared of the French - ....... wait a minute this does not exist

H/Celt

SwordsMaster
04-08-2004, 19:44
Oh,come on, that was just disgusting....

Very good idea about the v&vs.How about those:

Crusader: once you participated in a crusade, +1 loyalty, +1 health, +1 piety.

Berseker: +5 Valor, +1 dread, -1 command, +1 attack, -1 defence, +3 charge.

Sea Dog: +3 valor when leading an amphibious attack.

Famous: +1loyalty,+1 command,+10 happiness, - 1 dread.

Infamous: -2 loyalty, -1 command, +2 dread, -1 piety.

Thats all.
Enjoy.

katank
04-08-2004, 21:00
there should also be raider vices

+2 when commanding HA armies

also, plunderer

+3 dread, 100% moola from razed enemy buildings (could be very useful)

Don Corleone
04-09-2004, 00:34
People need to be a little less thin skinned. I mean a joke is a joke. How about some of these:

Patriotic: Strong belief in faction's superiority begins to take it's toll on foreign relations +1 loyalty -1 influence

Nationalistic: Neighboring factions have begun to fear and resent the rallies you're hosting burning their leaders in effigy +2 loyalty -2 influence

Redneck Proud: You can't seem to shake the demons of battles fought and lost over 150 years ago +3 loyalty -3 influence -7 accumen (those 'Gods of NASCAR' collectable plates ate into your treasury big time)

Before anyone freaks on me, I live in NC (in the South) and a history buff. No offense intended.

A couple more I came up with....

Lustful: The man can barely form a coherent sentance when a woman enters the room +20% chance of generating an heir.

Wonton: This man has been found fondling himself in public repeatedly. -2 loyalty, -2 respect.

Bill Clintonesue: Cigar Anyone? Nuff said. +3 Influence (hey folks overseas love him) -3 loyalty (not many folks at home did)

ichi
04-09-2004, 04:03
Quote[/b] ]Lustful: The man can barely form a coherent sentance when a woman enters the room +20% chance of generating an heir.

Wonton: This man has been found fondling himself in public repeatedly. -2 loyalty, -2 respect.

Bill Clintonesue: Cigar Anyone? Nuff said. +3 Influence (hey folks overseas love him) -3 loyalty (not many folks at home did)

nice

ichi