PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Dont u miss the ability to make chatrooms

Magyar Khan
04-09-2003, 15:51
the ability to create a non- or passworded chatroom so u can chat with friends and enemies or hosting tournies would become so much easier.....

plz vote

1dread1lahll
04-09-2003, 19:19
yes was a nice feature, also absent is the little map review from Mongols that would help jog our memories on maps that we dont care for....

Major Robert Dump
04-10-2003, 01:08
Them were the good old days

I miss it greatly, it was a better tool than ignore since sometimes people you want to ignore one day you may not the next.

The map pic is good point, too, Lahill. To make matters worse, few of the maps have catchy names like "Chikuzen" or "HArashima" instead they are generic things like "flatinland1" "flatinland8" "desert3" lol

Aelwyn
04-10-2003, 03:22
Chat Rooms would be much better. That way, if you got tired of some of the chat in the foyer, you could invite all of the players that are more fun to play with into a different chat room, and host nothing but good games.

AMPage
04-10-2003, 09:30
Yes i miss that as well as some other things.

Don't forget we need a replay room for those that get called cheaters. The ability to invite people to a room and view a replay on a mini screen, fast forward it, pause it, and pencil in marks.. etc.

Shahed
04-10-2003, 10:07
Well there is only one answer to this poll: YES

Aleborg
04-10-2003, 12:40
So YES

DthB4Dishonor
04-10-2003, 17:40
Yeah, not being able to make a chat room is what prolonged Kocmoc's tournament. With a separate chat room we could've finished that tournament in 1-2 weeks instead of the 6 weeks that it actually took. Also nice to be able to talk to clan m8's in a separate room once in a while.

Would be nice for noobs too. They can make there own room and play vs other noobs. There they will actually win a few games and perhaps stick with MTW much longer. I think some noobs lose interest with MTW when they face a vet.

RTKPaul

ABG
04-11-2003, 15:39
We really need them, and also, as said before, CA has to change the fonts.

Orda Khan
04-11-2003, 15:57
Quote[/b] (DthB4Dishonor @ April 10 2003,11:40)]Yeah, not being able to make a chat room is what prolonged Kocmoc's tournament. With a separate chat room we could've finished that tournament in 1-2 weeks instead of the 6 weeks that it actually took. Also nice to be able to talk to clan m8's in a separate room once in a while.

Would be nice for noobs too. They can make there own room and play vs other noobs. There they will actually win a few games and perhaps stick with MTW much longer. I think some noobs lose interest with MTW when they face a vet.

RTKPaul
Chatroom is a greatly missed feature.....

I remember newbies were taken 'under the wing' of vets in Shogun too..Does this happen anymore?

Many a newbie was nurtured into a worthy opponent, I really hope this is still the case

...Orda

Elrich of Gaul
04-12-2003, 03:18
*sigh* what were they thinking when they left this out.?

DthB4Dishonor
04-12-2003, 03:28
Yes Orda newbies are nurtured but only the willing ones. The first wave of newbies were much more open to being tought since game was new to them. Currently we are receiving newbies that have played SP for a few months and whom believe since they beat the AI 99% of the time and who see any advice as being condescending.

They then often rant about game is BS before quiting (often times with a few units left on map). They dont give opportunity for us to teach them. However there are a few bright spots and some will even approach vets (as I have been approached) to play a few 1v1's and help them with basics and fundamentals to this I almost always happily oblige unless I am under time constraints.

Also this is one area in which my patience has run dry. I detest people who quit with units left on field then others must hunt them down and rout out there army which is a tremendous bore.

I was thinking of an easing process for them to come to regular foyer when they feel more confident then after a few lessons they return to newbie foyer to test what they have learned against other newbies.
RTKPaul

Orda Khan
04-13-2003, 13:42
I've noticed the mid battle quitters and the ones who sound off but I was just curious as to whether some had been intimidated into leaving MTW either by being constantly crushed in battle or kicked from games.
In Shogun I remember people would offer advice and even set up a game as tuition. Is this still the case? Maybe someone who is new to MTW can tell me, I sure hope it is.

......Orda

tootee
04-13-2003, 17:34
I voted for yes I like everything. I like things to be there, even if I dont use it.. 'cos its better to have them than without since I've already paid for the game.. and these arent expensive features to add.

Lechev
04-13-2003, 19:34
Heh..talking about more bang for your bucks eh Tootee? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smokin.gif

Tera
04-16-2003, 17:08
Well missed...

LordTed
04-16-2003, 18:45
Sorry i am not on much, but u need stuff like that.

Puzz3D
04-24-2003, 16:46
Well, if you read carefully what Gil Jaysmith is saying about the MP campaign, in general it appears that features get put in if it will increase sales. You'll get chat rooms if CA/Activision believes it will increase sales enough to justify the extra investment of time and money to implement the feature. I'm not talking about the programmers here. I'm talking about the people who invest the money to develop the game, and want to maximize the return on their investment.

Magyar Khan
04-25-2003, 08:17
its the chicken and egg philosophy

if MP is not given enuf food it will starve by itself. funny thing is, if mp isnt their market why do they invest in it at all?

GilJaysmith
05-01-2003, 23:07
Quote[/b] (Puzz3D @ April 24 2003,15:46)]Well, if you read carefully what Gil Jaysmith is saying about the MP campaign, in general it appears that features get put in if it will increase sales.
Features also get taken out if they don't work and aren't viewed as completely essential. Chatrooms are supported in the game as shipped, but you can't create them spontaneously - they have to be created at the server side with 24 hours' notice. So much for you being able to create them. Also, there were bugs at the GameSpy end with refreshing the names and number of people in the room, to the extent that it would list ten people's names but claim there were only six people in there. After a lot of cunning plans and kerfuffle, the best workaround we could find for these bugs led to the game locking up for a noticeable fraction of a second every so often, which caused anything you were typing during that pause to be lost, and the mouse to freeze. So we decided not to create any rooms on the server, and that's why you all go into a single global chatroom.

Kas
05-01-2003, 23:30
Bugger

Magyar Khan
05-01-2003, 23:30
thx gil, and what about the simplified replay feature?

Mithrandir
05-01-2003, 23:37
...as found in the colliseum >

Quote[/b] ]Once more, with feeling...

There is too much data to save at the desired game rate of 14 frames a second. Just storing each soldier's position, would require four bytes per soldier per frame. For a 10,000-man battle that's 40K, saved fourteen times a second, totalling half a megabyte. There isn't time to write out half a megabyte of data to disk every second and still play the game, and at nearly 128Mb a minute there almost certainly isn't enough RAM to store it. And that's if we just saved the soldier positions. The soldier object in Medieval, recording everything about him, is more on the order of a hundred bytes.

Failure to completely reproduce the soldier and unit state - absolutely correct, every single frame of the game - leads to replays not being correct. Which you saw happening, for several different reasons, before the patch.

And again: sports games have fewer characters, so the data involved is massively smaller. It's not like CA doesn't know how sports games work, having produced a fair few itself. The last five seconds or so of what 40 players were up to is something you could consider storing in memory. The argument that there is less graphical detail in a TW title, and so saving the game state can't be a big demand on the system, shouldn't sound even slightly convincing.

Sorry if that sounds a bit abrupt, but this thread's getting repetitive. It's your prerogative as customers not to care about technical difficulties: you should demand everything you want, the technology is our job. If there is a way to provide a rewind control for the battle (fastforward being no problem, just not guaranteed to be very fast) then I expect we'll find it because we spend a lot of time trying to figure out how we can do wildly impressive things. But if there isn't a way to do it, which is how I'm seeing it at the moment because we have already spent a long time thinking about it, then it won't be there, and I don't care which other games have it - they aren't Total War.

theKyl
05-02-2003, 18:25
I voted Yes although I didn't experience the Shogun days and their seperate chatrooms.

Imagine the Chatroom when Rome: TotalWar is out. IMO much more people who were unsure with Medieval or didn't really look at it will buy Rome, because the graphics look simply fine and the Medieval ones aren't (well just my opinion but i'm still addicted http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif). If even there are "only" 1000 people that play the game online at the same time then every word would sink in the mass of comments or spam plus you'd have to search ages for the ones you want to private chat with.

Would be crazy.

FearofNC
05-04-2003, 09:44
http://www.fearfulways.com/pics/chatroom.jpg

FearofNC
05-04-2003, 20:17
no comments?? i thought this couldnt be done...

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

GilJaysmith
05-06-2003, 16:30
Quote[/b] (FearofNC @ May 04 2003,19:17)]no comments?? i thought this couldnt be done...

:joker:
Well, my first comment is that it looks to me a lot like a fusion of MTW with Battlefield 1942, performed somewhere inside an image manipulation tool. But nice try...

theKyl
05-06-2003, 19:54
Zitat[/b] (GilJaysmith @ Mai 06 2003,10:30)]
Zitat[/b] (FearofNC @ May 04 2003,19:17)]no comments?? i thought this couldnt be done...

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif
Well, my first comment is that it looks to me a lot like a fusion of MTW with Battlefield 1942, performed somewhere inside an image manipulation tool. But nice try...
No it's Operation Flashpoint

shame on you (lol= http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Div Hunter
05-07-2003, 04:30
YES much shame who would play BF1942 anyway http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

Opflash is 10x better at least http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

FearofNC
05-07-2003, 06:28
i swear on all that is holy that the only image change i did was from tga to jpg .. i still have the orginal tga screen capture and another from a few seconds prior.

u can download both the original screen captures here (http://www.fearfulways.com/downloads/tga.zip) ... i zipped them together but its still a large file at 700+ kb

FearofNC
05-07-2003, 06:35
another good benchmark to use.... could soly do it?

maybe... he is a master at photo shop... but if your even suggesting i have enough adobe skills to pull it off .. ty ..ty very much http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif