PDA

View Full Version : MTW & Praetorians

solops
04-30-2003, 20:41
How do MTW and Praetorian compare?

eXistenZi
04-30-2003, 22:41
I'm pretty sure the only thing these two games have in common is that they're strategy games. MTW > Praetorians by a million percent.

Praetorians is too acradish with poorly done battles and bland graphics. After you've played one game, you've played it all.

Medieval: Total War on the other hand, is THE best thing that has ever happened to strategy gamers (well the whole total war series). Deep tactics and exciting gameplay that doesn't get boring http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif. Also you can play campaigns where it's basically like Civilization and you only go into the actual game engine to fight battles.

ShadesWolf
05-01-2003, 18:41
Hi Solops,Nice to see you over here, as i was saying over at .com

They are really two different games.

Pret is more like AoE than any total war type game. Its is about resource management like AoE was, but without the resources.

For example

You have a map which is x by x
on that map u have 4 villiages, and you start in the bottom left had corner. with an army of 10 units, if you can capture a village, then you can build more units.

The battle are good, havent played online yet, but they are more about AoE type battles than pure Total War battles.

BDC
05-01-2003, 20:04
There is no clipping in Pretorians. I had about 5 Legions in turtle shell formation occupying the sort of space normally reserved for a small puppy. And the battles don't seem all that good or tacticle. MTW is great fun and stratagy can win over numbers any day.

Stormer
05-01-2003, 20:05
praetorians is good for only a couple of days glad i didnt buy it.

MTW is far superior too it.

oblivious maximus
05-01-2003, 20:26
Existenzi said it,MTW > Praetorians by a million %.

Gaius Julius
05-02-2003, 04:48
They really are two different games.
As far as one being better than the other, that's a matter of personal opinion.
I really like M:TW; of coarse, but I also like Praetorians.
I like the fact that you don't have to gather resourses, and advance to the next level of technology.
M:TW has the strategy element, and the battles, both of which I enjoy.
I don't think you'll go wrong buying both these games.

Leet Eriksson
05-02-2003, 11:29
If your into roman stuff,get preatorians.The game has emphasis on tactics and small scale battles.the maximum army allowed is 1000 men(all Gallic units have 16 man units,romans have a mix of 30 and 16 man units and egyptians have 16 man units,all cavalry are in 12 man units).Although i don't think the units are historically accurate but they are still interesting.Siege is handled pretty well in the game,maybe on par or superior to medievil(thats just my opinion).The game is pretty hard in campaign mode,but the skirmish AI is abysmal,has no grasp of tactics,and will only overwhlem you.one last thing don't expect large scale battles of any sort,thats best reserved for MTW.If your not intrested in roman stuff don't bother buying it.Imo if your low on cash wait for RTW and stick with MTW if you have some extra cash and spare time to kill get preatorians.

SmokWawelski
05-05-2003, 14:55
...and bland graphics.

I think that Pretorians is by far superior to MTW in this. The graphics might be overcolored and the battlefields are not realistic per say, but they look more ineteresting...