PDA

View Full Version : MTW causes system to boot

Lare
05-14-2003, 19:41
When playing Medieval: Total War, the game causes the whole system to reboot. It happens almost every time during the battle, but sometimes in the menus as well. Once I played a particular battle many times and the system crashed every time at the same time; when the computer started to retreat. I've reinstalled the game and Windows many times and I've used versions 1.0 and 1.1.

My system is:
ECS K7S5A
AMD XP 2000+
Hercules Radeon 8500LE 128MB
Sound Blaster Value
768MB PC-133
Windows XP (I've tried with and without SP1)

Every other game works fine. The problem is just with MTW.

BTW, I don't really understand why I can't post in the Apothecary-forum. These restrictions are just useless pain in our newbies ass.

Kanuni
05-15-2003, 02:41
It may be a processor over-heat issue. Do you have a program to show your CPU's heat like MBM? Or next time you boot, check the CPU's heat in the BIOS if it shows it and write it here.

KukriKhan
05-15-2003, 03:15
Hello Lare, and welcome to the.Org http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Post a few more times, so we can remove that pain in your...posterior.

Your rig sounds perfectly capable of handling anything MTW can dish out. So I begin to suspect background programs and peripherals. Therefore I ask: are you running other programs in the background (like an IM program, for example), and are any of your peripherals (printers, scanners, etc) set to 'phone home' on a recurring basis? Or is email set to check for email every 15 minutes? Or does your AntiVirus software check for updates every half-hour?

These silly questions are prompted by my wife's scanner, which checked for updates every 30 minutes, rebooting her XP machine, until we figured it out.

My other guess is a corrupt MTW file. But you say you've uninstalled/reinstalled, so that's less likely.