PDA

View Full Version : VI: Any good??

whiskeyjack
05-17-2003, 16:47
Hi,
I've been away on business for the last couple of weeks and haven't even had time to play MTW never mind VI, so what was the verdict? Is it worth buying or is it just a money-spinning add on?Any opinions would be greatly appreciated/

castle
05-17-2003, 18:40
There is enough new stuff to keep you busy till rome total war comes out. Its worth having just for the vikings victory music.

Longasc
05-17-2003, 18:49
You can read the Thread about Vikings becoming Christian that I started. I am talking about some major playstyle differences between MTW and VI.

I was a bit disappointed of the reset of all tutorial lessons and historical campaigns.

Old savegames no longer work, and you will need to rename all your replays to .vrp instead of .mrp, otherwise VI will not play them.

The manual is very basic, and I still miss tables of the fighting power of different units.

The new units of VI are interesting, and the battles play very different, mostly because the terrainscape is mountainous or has many hills, and there is little cavalry and a lot of spear units.

The Dark Age Tech Tree has some nice aspects, e.g. it takes long to start farming, and it causes the Viking faction to be dependent on income from raiding e.g. in the beginning.

Not so nice is that the variety of units is somewhat limited, it is mostly about infantry battles. But thats at least correct historically. :>

You get another historical battle, quite nice btw, and the added factions and enhancements to the original MTW are nice. I am looking forward to playing the Hungarians or Sicilians.

I think it is worth the money, even if it has some really unnecessary flaws, I mentioned them in the Thread Viking Invasion SUCKS.

I think you should go an buy it... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/idea.gif

vortex
05-17-2003, 21:15
Yeah, I would buy it. Although the new units are more limited than I hoped, it is plenty entertaining to keep you busy until RTW comes out http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Mount Suribachi
05-18-2003, 08:18
Well it has lots of little improvements to the gameplay eg besiegers losing men every year which forces them to assault the castle quicker, saves between battles (yay&#33http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif.

The VI campaign is great - it reminds me a lot of Shogun. The map is smaller, there are fewer factions, fewer units, smaller tech tree and the Vikings offer a completely different gameplay style. The MTW campaign could get very big and unwieldy very quickly, VI is a much simpler campaign, which IMHO is actually an improvement.

I would recommend it.

Monk
05-18-2003, 18:36
VI has laid claim to much of my free time, between sacking villages in britain and mercilessly rampaging throughout the land cutting down every person who stands against you, thats enough to keep you occupied for a long time. the new map, units, and factions add a great deal of replay, on top of that the bug fixes make the game more enjoyable. if nothing else a good buy to satisfy your total war need untill Rome: total war is released

pdoan8
05-18-2003, 19:24
Just return from a 2-weeks working away from home on Saturday (1 week sooner than planned). On my way home, I stopped by my local EB store to pick up my VI copy.

Playing my first VI campaign as the Irish. As Mount Suribachi said, VI reminds me of the original STW. I am very happy with VI.