PDA

View Full Version : Which race would you play in a LotR mod?

Duke John
05-18-2003, 15:24
I'm interested in which faction you would like to play in a Lord of the Rings mod. Note that I didn't include Hobbits because they aren't really warlike creatures.

And another question; would you like to play on map of whole of Middle Earth or only the lands surrounding the Land of Mordor? The latter map would be made in such a way that all the above races are included.
I think concentrating on the lands around Mordor makes a more believable world. Otherwise you would be able to invade the Shire as the Elves, not very true to the books of Tolkien. Also the books rely heavily on the good vs evil theme, which contradicts a bit with the Total War theme.
If you make the whole Middle Earth you really have to role play to make it work like in the books. But it isn't possible to make the Computer roleplay, thus cutting off all the peacefull lands would be necessary to create a good map for a Lord of the Rings mod.

And do you think the descriptions I provided with the poll are good enough to differentiate the races?

Greetings, Duke John

pow902
05-18-2003, 16:34
Perhaps Gondor should be more infantry heavy than cavalry, to make them more separate from Rohan. But where are the Haradrim?? They are a must http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Sir Robin
05-18-2003, 18:22
I would love anything that includes orks.

Even though it is against the Total War theme a map of north-western middle earth would be better.

Though you would probably end up with a map spawling hobbit empire.

Gregoshi
05-18-2003, 18:24
Elves.

As for the map, perhaps everything east of Helms Deep/Isengard would be fair game. In the appendix (or was it Unfinished Tales?) it is said that while there was fighting at Minas Tirith and the gates of Mordor, Lothlorien was attacked and there was a battle around the Lonely Mountain in which Bard and Dain were both killed. The Misty Mountains and Mirkwood also seem like hot beds of activity.

Duke John
05-18-2003, 19:42
About Elves: do you think they would have cavalry of any kind? The units I believe an Elven army would consist would contain Spearelves, Archers, Elves with two handed swords and Elves with sword and shield.

About Gondor: I saw in on lordoftherings.net that they wanted the Gondorian forces to look like Roman troops. So perhaps they would indeed be centered around infantry.

RisingSun
05-18-2003, 20:45
I dont think there was fighting in Lothlorien, but there was indeed a siege of Erebor. It seemed the Dwarves and lake-men would lose, but when news of the fall of Sauron met the army, the besieged troops sallied forth and routed a far superior army (numbers-wise, anyway)

Monk
05-18-2003, 20:52
Mordor, where the shadows lie

Makkadam
05-18-2003, 21:12
About the Uruk-Hai:

These guys are supposed to be ultimate fightingmachines right? Taller than a man, stronger and they do not feel pain and they are fearless? Then how come 2 hobbits (Merry and Pippin) can take out half a dussin by throwing stones? Needless to say I am not very impressed about their performance at Helms deep.

Btw

Why should they be poor on missile? In the movie they used quite a lot of crossbows. And if you have an entire hord Uruk's they are bound to hit something...

Sjakihata
05-18-2003, 21:30
Why restrict it to LotR?

Make it a fantasy mod, with all the known creatures from D&D like systems.

Duke John
05-18-2003, 21:39
The Lord of the Rings is a more well known world. I think people more easily get into the act of a Uruk-Hai captain as opposed to a some made up faction of a D&D world.

About the Uruk-Hai:
They will get crossbows and perhaps ballistas, so that will indeed make them more missile heavy. A fault on my part, but those killing machines should have a drawback. Perhaps the lack of cavalry will make up for that.

Gregoshi
05-18-2003, 22:48
Quote[/b] (RisingSun @ May 18 2003,14:45)]I dont think there was fighting in Lothlorien...
In the timeline of Appendix B in Return of the King:

March 11: First assault on Lorien.
March 15: Battle under the trees in Mirkwood, Thranduil repels the forces of Dul Guldur. Second assault on Lorien. (note: Battle of Pelennor fought on this day too)
March 17: Battle of Dale. King Brand and King Dain Ironfoot fall. Many Men and Dwarves take refuge in Erebor and are besieged.
March 22: Third assault on Lorien.

I'd forgotten about the battle under the trees in Mirkwood. My point was that there was more going on than around Gondor/Mordor.

Duke John
05-18-2003, 22:57
Hmmm, there's so much to know about the history of Middle Earth. Since I am not enlightened on that subject, I could use some help. If there are some people who know alot usable stuff, please be free to post ideas about units, battles, factions or whatever to get this mod off the ground. I will concentrate on modding the units... can't wait to start on the Elves

Alrowan
05-18-2003, 23:30
id like to see the whole map

also, you need a faction for the southrons

Elwe
05-19-2003, 01:56
A firm no to elven cavalry. Never in their history from the Awakening to the Departure did the elves ride to battle. They should consist of archers (Sindar) and infantry (Noldor). If you set the game at the end of the Third Age (ie: the events of LotR), then there should be severe restrictions on the number of Noldor... there just weren't that many left in Middle Earth. The vast majority were Sindar/Silvan. But, to balance off, all Elves should be exceptional fighters.

Gondor should be infantry based, but they had heavy cavalry from the Anfalas in Southern Gondor.

The Rohirrim should not have heavy cavalry, but should definitley have medium cavalry and horse archers. No infantry for Rohan, but their cavalry should all be dismountable.

Isengard would be Uruk-hai infantry/crossbows, and orc Warg-riders. They also had rabble armies from Dunland (wild men).

Cheers http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wacko.gif

CBR
05-19-2003, 02:14
Here are armylists designed for the DBM miniature ruleset. Might be useful...

http://www.ritsumei.ac.jp/se/~luv20009/MiddleEarthintro.html

CBR

ichi
05-19-2003, 05:16
I always wanted to be Tom Bombadil

Maybe he could be like the Kensai in STW

ichi

GoldenKnightX2
05-19-2003, 05:27
where can you get lord of rings mod http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Duke John
05-19-2003, 09:06
There isn't a LotR mod...yet Right now I'm working on making a Uruh-Hai unit, see the thread LotR mod: new Uruk-Hai model. I will probably be able to release it at the end of the week.

After that I will probably start on either Rohan or Elven units. This means if there aren't any other people working on a LotR mod, there won't be in the coming months. But you will be able to play custum battles with my new units.

Greetings, Duke John

Duke John
05-19-2003, 09:11
And thanks for the link CBR, the DBM armies might be helpfull as guide to which units I should create.

Elven cavalry is thus a big N0NO; great, making cavalry is probably alot of effort because you have to consider the horse.