PDA

View Full Version : Basic STW Army tips.

EarthShogun
05-30-2003, 03:15
New am I to Shogun and Medeavil Total war. I have both games but Shogun I easyer so I am sticking go it to get a good hang of the games.
I am playing my Campain on Easy and I am so far the Richest clain and the clain wiht the Biggest Army. The main problem that I am having is how far apart should I build new Forts.
In other words I am getting to big and my army is thinning out. I would guist like to see what your beging stragetys are?

KukriKhan
05-30-2003, 03:47
Hi EarthShogun welcome to the.Org http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Starting with Shogun:TotalWar, then progressing thru the Mongol Invasions & Medieval:TotalWar, will I'm sure give you a solid foundation for the TW series. Applause for your thinking

However...I am no Shogun strategy expert (I mostly played battles in STW), so I won't pretend to advise you. But there are several old Shoggy vets here who can give you a helping hand. If they don't show up by tomorrow, I'll copy your post over to the Sword Dojo, our Shogun-speciality area.

Gregoshi
05-30-2003, 04:51
EarthShogun, build border forts in your provinces and train lots of shinobi. Put a 2-3 shinobi in each province you control. You can then remove your armies that are doing guard duty and move them to the front lines. Watch the loyalty though when you move your units away, but the shinobi should be able to maintain a good loyalty in place of the army. I hope that helps.

EarthShogun
05-30-2003, 07:27
Thanks for the help so far. Will try out the that tip.

HopAlongBunny
05-30-2003, 07:35
Welcome aboard EarthShogun http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I haven't played STW but I'll bet there is no lack of exp here...somewhere.

Kill'em all http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

el_slapper
05-30-2003, 08:57
Spies in MTW & Shinobis in STW are effectively the better garrison possible, because they don't cost any maintenance.

In MTW, though, you'll have to protect your beaches from landings - unless you dominate the seas.

The_Emperor
05-30-2003, 09:23
Try to use a satellite system of castles, with a large army in a central province with smaller armies guarding your borders, that way if you are attacked or a rebellion breaks out you can retreat your small force to the castle & move your big army in and crush them...

This way several provinces are defended without having to spend loads to keep massive armies in every border province.

If you get high enough up the tech tree Use Geisha's to kill enemy Daimyo and generals, they are practically unstoppable (and they never die when they fail)

el_slapper
05-30-2003, 13:06
Geishas are more than tough... Practice on easy targets(level 4 generals.....), and in less than 2 years, your Geisha is level 5 or 6. Now she has 97/100 of success versus tough generals, and a fair rate versus Daimyos...

Inquisitors in MTW are strong, but also have a fair amount of weaknesses, wich Geisha do not have. They are limited to the catholic area, and highly depend on local zeal. It is still cool to burn the pope, though..... What a shame they didn't do videos, that one would have been excellent

The_Emperor
05-30-2003, 15:34
Quote[/b] (el_slapper @ May 30 2003,07:06)]Geishas are more than tough... Practice on easy targets(level 4 generals.....), and in less than 2 years, your Geisha is level 5 or 6. Now she has 97/100 of success versus tough generals, and a fair rate versus Daimyos...

Inquisitors in MTW are strong, but also have a fair amount of weaknesses, wich Geisha do not have. They are limited to the catholic area, and highly depend on local zeal. It is still cool to burn the pope, though..... What a shame they didn't do videos, that one would have been excellent
Ahh yes... a cutscene would be nice

*casts mind back to the end of the film 'Joan of Arc, the Messenger*

Very Evil

Nowake
05-31-2003, 11:21
don't forget to upgrade your tea house in order to get good quality shinobi. You'll see the difference

ichi
05-31-2003, 18:17
EarthShogun:

I build the small castles and forts in almost every province as I grow, for purely defensive (retreating) purposes. The most importnat thing is to build moneymaking buildings as soon as possible, to feed the economic engine that powers your empire.

Early in the game each castle must produce troops of many types, but as the game progresses and I get enough provinces, I specialize my castles: one or two build archers, one builds Yari, one builds Buddhists, one builds Naginata, one builds Cav archers, one builds Yari Cav, one builds Heavy Cav, one builds Shinobi, one builds assassins (eventually Geishas), one builds emmissaries. You can combine some of these.

That calls for 9-10 fortresses/citadels by the mid-late game. Some of these you will capture from others as you grow. This way you do not have to build every dojo in every province (do not need Archery dojo in infantry-producing province). This way you can produce an entire army in one or two seasons, necessary to defeat the Hojo Horde by force.

Build the Yari and Naginata and Heavy Cav in provinces with mines so you can build armories. Build the dojos and other buildings that give you honor and morale in the provinces where you build your Yari and Buddhists.

Don't forget to focus the province on the historical specialty - Tosa produces high honor Yari Ashigaru, for example, so build your Ashigaru in Tosa.

ichi