PDA

View Full Version : For those that do not see the dungeon....

TenkiSoratoti
06-01-2003, 23:21
I expect some of you have heard about the Napoleonic Mod, What? you havent Hmmm you best give it a try then.
The Napoleonic Mod for those that do not know is a superb addition to MTW made by Lords, a clan dedicated to the creation of mods for our small but potent community.
The Mod's aim is to recreate The Napoleonic war roughly between 1799 and 1815 (the end of the war).

You will be surprised at how detailed the units for the mod are Also there is a campaign on the way for singleplayer, this is a huge step in modding for MTW and i think you'll agree.
Join europe 300 years later with the Napoleonic Modification.
The download of the unit beta v1.7 can be found at:The Lords Site (http://www.zen11872.zen.co.uk)
For an extra bonus download the sound pack aswell to give a more Nap feel to the whole thing. Remember the more poeple the more fun this whole thing will be
To arrange a game email me at tenkisoratoti@hotmail.com.

TenkiSoratoti

P.S please get it http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

TenkiSoratoti
06-02-2003, 23:33
Guess not....

CBR
06-02-2003, 23:44
Well I did try it in a few customs some time ago.

No question that it looks very good. The mobile artillery is very nicely done.

I do like Napoleonic warfare but several important aspects of it cant be recreated with the current battle engine we have. So for me it was just line up and start shooting http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

But that shouldnt stop people from downloading and try it out. It does require you to have a second MTW folder for the installation as it overwrites files needed for normal MTW, but all you need is just make a copy your mtw folder and use that for the Nap mod.

CBR

FesterShinetop
06-02-2003, 23:58
Hmmm, does that actually work? Just copying the MTW map? Don't you have to re-install into a new folder? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

I might give this one a go Good job guys http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/pat.gif

CBR
06-03-2003, 00:19
No just copy the whole mtw folder. The installer might want to install into your ordinary folder but you just change the target to your copy and thats it.

CBR

TenkiSoratoti
06-03-2003, 08:49
Just treat everyhting as separate game.

When you say shoot out CBR you have played the AI, correct? Yes well the AI as it was configured to play with MTW troops not napoleonic troops is incredibly thick. I did a 3 vs 1 the other day all with the same koku, I was on my own against 3 computer controlled opponents and won even though i was out honoured and out gunned SO its very easy to beat the AI. You need to play a human player and thats when the fun really kicks in.
You have to be very careful on manuevering and you also have to be alot more concious of the high ground in the nap mod. If you loose the high ground in more than 1 area you have basically just about lost the battle unless you can do a fast cavalry flank and chase the troops of the hill and throw volley fire into them while they are running.

TenkiSoratoti

CBR
06-03-2003, 12:02
Yes I played the AI but that was not really the problem. As I said this game engine cant show all the important aspects of a Napoleonic battle:

You have 3 basic formations: Line, Column and Square. They all have advantages and disadvantages but that is not represented in this engine at all. The combined arms tactics of this age is simply not there.

No doubt that terrain is important in this mod and there are tactics but it just doesnt have that much to do with Napoleonic warfare and unfortunately its not something that can be modded.

That doesnt mean this mod is crap or anything. Its worth the download and I think people should to try it out.

CBR

TenkiSoratoti
06-03-2003, 15:21
Column - make the men the most effective versus cavalry (acts as a square at the moment), also use it for a bayonet charge.
Line (2 lines) - most effective for firing

Multiplayer battles general open up with a load of cannon fire, then someone may advance his whole force forward or send a maybe half his/her force on the flank. For example in the battle fo waterloo Napoleon used a a large number of men to attack on the right (or left???) at hougemont. the same kind of thing can be represented in a Nap mod battle. Yes there are rather a few casualties in the opening fire fights which leaves little chance for a abyaonet charge but they do happen AND WHEN THEY DO IT REALLY DOES LOOK GOOD. I dont think the term 'try out' is very good i think more like set up a small family in the corner of the community of poeple who play this mod. Shooting at each othe in this mod is far more entertaining than watching a bunch of pavis arbelester slug it out for 2 hours

TenkiSoratoti

CBR
06-03-2003, 16:17
Quote[/b] (Tenkisoratoti @ June 03 2003,16:21)]Column - make the men the most effective versus cavalry (acts as a square at the moment), also use it for a bayonet charge.
Line (2 lines) - most effective for firing

Multiplayer battles general open up with a load of cannon fire, then someone may advance his whole force forward or send a maybe half his/her force on the flank. For example in the battle fo waterloo Napoleon used a a large number of men to attack on the right (or left???) at hougemont. the same kind of thing can be represented in a Nap mod battle. Yes there are rather a few casualties in the opening fire fights which leaves little chance for a abyaonet charge but they do happen AND WHEN THEY DO IT REALLY DOES LOOK GOOD. I dont think the term 'try out' is very good i think more like set up a small family in the corner of the community of poeple who play this mod. Shooting at each othe in this mod is far more entertaining than watching a bunch of pavis arbelester slug it out for 2 hours

TenkiSoratoti
There are no differences in movement rates between line, column and square formations which is a very important aspect of Napoleonic tactics.

And people have to "try out" the mod before they can find out if they like it and join that little family http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

That you and others prefer the mod instead of MTW..thats fine. I just expressed my opinion about the mod and I hope thats fine too.

CBR

TenkiSoratoti
06-03-2003, 19:11
Uh huh line formations turn differently to column plus remember that this is only the beta and the new stats etc is coming out next week.