PDA

View Full Version : Morale and overall logistics

Nowake
06-10-2003, 13:11
I created this topic because I don't think that this problem has received enough attention. My sugestions are refering to the corespondence between the morale and vigour on the battlefield, and the actions taken before this moment. This is not a profound approach, but I think it is surely going to add some realism.

1 ~ your men should receive their fatigue stats at the start of the battle depending on how long was their march, without pause excepting the night; this is very important, as no one could march their troops to exhaustion without fear of them not resisting on the battlefield; as it seems that in RTW we are going to be able to march with our troops depending on a number of movements, I think that a good solution to this problem is a for the fatigue stats to depend on the number of movements consumed untill reaching the battlefield. If you spend more than a half, then you get a small penalty, more than 3/4, a bigger one etc. The system based on 4 seasons could also have a word i this matter, as winter has its disadvantages when it comes to campaigning.

2 ~ the morale of your army should depend also on the overall strategic situation; if the supply lines (in case that these are going to be implemented - if not, depending on the fact of you having a clear war for retreat to your original or most important base of operations, city or province) are cut off, or if you are campaigning in terra incognita - like Caesar's campaigns over the Rhine or in Britain - you should definitely receive a morale penalty.

3 ~ even if it may seem like going a bit too far, but in the same way like in MTW the reputation of a general boosted the morale of his army, so the reputation of the enemy should be taken into account; so, we should have 2 factors: the reputation of the enemy general (like in the case of Hannibal, Mithridates) and the reputation of the enemy as the nation/army that represents it (e.g. romans, parthians, some gaellic tribes like the nervii, dacians etc.)

Of course, all these can be countered through other factors like valour, so don't worry, a roman veteran roman legion will always wreak havok http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/pat.gif

Aide de camp
06-10-2003, 14:29
Quote[/b] ]I don't think that this problem has received enough attention.

I agree. If you read how Caesar describes his campaigns, he was allways worried about such things. In fact many decision were taken only because he had to feed his troops (hungry troops usually fatigued faster and had worse morale).
Fatigue could be a main reason to build roads. In fact one of the most important feats of Rome was that they built roads all over Europe. Troops using roads would't fatigue as fast as troops not using it.

Hakonarson
06-11-2003, 07:20
Marching should only be a factor for fatigue if somethign exceptional has happened - any "normal" marching should have no effect IMO.

What WAS sometimes very important was breakfast It's not a new craze lol

There were cases where a canny commander got his troops fed early then led them out - the opponent would lead his out to face before having anythign to eat.

The first commander would then sit there for a few hours doing nothing - sometimes in the sun, sometimes in the cold.

When battle was finally joined one side was at a considerable disadvantage

Don't know how you'd out that into TW tho

benF86
06-11-2003, 07:52
There should be 2 options of marching.

Normal, where the soldiers have nights sleep and such without fatigue

Emergency, where the soldiers march night and day with twice moving speed and twice more fatigue

Also, it'd be cool, if the enemy could attack at night while soldiers are asleep, with a small unit of Idunnowho and set the camp on fire (like in Braveheart (game not movie) and/or steal some equipment)

Leet Eriksson
06-11-2003, 07:56
I got a peek at the movie posted in the other thread,i was wondering if moving troops in the campaign map fatigues them or not?

Nowake
06-11-2003, 13:15
people, my post is not only about marching ...

nevertheless: if you would march your troops the full way, that would mean a night and day march, if only half or 3/5 of your movement points, only day march, and so on ...

DthB4Dishonor
06-11-2003, 15:34
I think the logistics is most important for isolated or cut off provinces. I also think that a different aspect should be implemented for sieged provinces.

Lets say X attacks a province and B retreats to his huge castle.
-X leaves huge army there to starve out B because castle is huge and an assault will mean many casualties.
-B attacks X's 2 rear provinces and wins them both
-X doesnt have control of the province he is sieging and cannot farm the land so I think he should receive huge yearly casualties and diserters until he can link up with a controled province of his.

This is a method used by Sun Tzu to help relieve a seige of an allied city state. He simply attacked the rear so the seigers have to abandon there siege.

Nowake
06-12-2003, 11:30
DthB4Dishonor

It's not always as easy as it seems, really http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif This ussualy suceeds if the enemy remains neutral untill you finish your preparations, but he doesn't have to, you know?

RisingSun
06-12-2003, 18:36
DeathB4, I JUST made a topic on this. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

Nowake
06-13-2003, 08:49
Quote[/b] (RisingSun @ June 12 2003,12:36)]DeathB4, I JUST made a topic on this. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif
I can't find it.

todorp
06-22-2003, 16:07
Caesar _always_ was choosing the place for his fortified camp to have access to
1. Water 2. Food 3. Good defensive position and to deny them to his enemy. His campaigns ware won more by the foot and spade then by the sword. He never accepted a battle he is not going to win.

Balamir
06-22-2003, 18:44
A realistic approach to this concept I found was on Rise of Nations. there, you were meant to have supply vagons to feed your troops throughout the enemy territory, otherwise it would damage your men. The concept of forced march is also included, you can only order forced march if your general's "craft" is enough to do that. Craft is some kind of spell point, a bit more realistic though. It fills up in time.