PDA

View Full Version : Pallaces and siege engines?

hoom
06-15-2003, 12:01
In the city views, there is generally a large multi-story and fortified palace in the middle of the city.
Also, there are large siege weapons for attacking the walls.

This brings me to the question: Can you use siege engines like battering rams against the interior buildings as well as the external walls?

And another one: All the city walls I've seen so far are only one layer deep.
I know that at least ancient Babylon had three successively bigger walls in some parts and I think 2 walls for most of it.
So, will there be concentric walls in the game?

This ones about the Elephants:
In the more recent screenshots (the hi res ones) you can see that the guys on the elephants have their arms sticking out through the 'wall' & even the guy on the left of the elephant (looking from behind the elephant) has the end of his spear sticking out through the person to the right and through the right side of the castle...

some_totalwar_dude
06-15-2003, 15:29
1.I think you will be able to bombard the interior buildings like we can in medieval.
There already screenshots with buildings on fire so that must be it.

2.I dont now about the second question, but a 3 layer defence would make a huge battle.

3. if you look carefully you can see people/weapons sticking trough each other everywhere. I think it's a flas that has to be polished yet.
I even saw some guys sticking trough each other in the in game movie from ING. Look carefully when the camera flys over the barbarians and romans.

Leet Eriksson
06-15-2003, 17:51
i think battering rams should only be used on gates,i doubt they have the power to wreck an entire building.also once your forces enter the city they could pillage and burn whatever they lay there hands on.

lonewolf371
06-15-2003, 20:04
If you're trying to capture a city because of its wealth that would be something you DON'T want to happen, but it would add to the realism of the game.

RisingSun
06-16-2003, 03:58
I'm sure there will be concentric walls. IT will probably be a very costly upgrade, though, considering how few (compared to the total number of cities in the region)actuall had more than one wall.

Cobra
06-22-2003, 03:17
Quote[/b] ]there is generally a large multi-story and fortified palace in the middle of the city.
This is most likely the "city square" Capturing it is the objective of a city conquest.

All buildings will be destructable, and destroying them in the battle mode will destroy them for the campaign, so, can't really totally conquer a city? Just take out the enemies infrastructure by going in and razing the place.

I'm thinking that if I'm retreating, that destroying things would be a good leaving preasent.

hoom
06-22-2003, 14:13
What I mean is:
The central structure looks like a fortified palace.
If its fortified, you might need siege engines to capture it.
I'm not talking missile based siege weapons (cos it is obvious you can use them) but battering rams, towers & sappers.
Can you use them?

Stormer
06-22-2003, 14:24
arsee add a screenshot of what u mean with a so u say "fortified center".

Stormer

Cobra
06-22-2003, 15:25
I would think smaller towns and cities may not be as fortified, I'm sure it's like castles where there are all sorts of levels.

hoom
06-22-2003, 22:36
Of course it depends on the level of development.

http://www.totalwar.com/community/rp8.htm
On the right is a multistory fortified building with towers & arrow slits.

http://www.totalwar.com/community/rp12.htm
On the left is a fortified building on top of a pyramid like structure.

http://www.totalwar.com/community/rp10.htm
Towards the right is a two level mound.
Presumably a more advanced version of this city would have a large palace-like building like the others.

Point being, it looks a lot like the first one in particular will be very difficult to capture if you don't have battering rams & siege towers.