PDA

View Full Version : RTW Morale.

Stormer
06-19-2003, 12:10
Well i was just wondering what the morales gonna be like, i ask this because to be honest i dont want another mtw stats where people run too easy in my opinuion. Also ancient warfare was very differant from medieval as we all know and i must say, from articles iv read Ancient warfare troops may seem to have more morale but thats debatable.

I was wondering about units like Spartan Hoplites which never really retreated as they thought as long as a victory is achived it doesnt matter how many people die, maybe thast why they were so good. But in RTW will Spartan hoplites have morale that makes them fight too the last or will it be like MTW where if most of the troops die they run.
Im asking this because i wondered if anybody has heard anything i havent about morale and how it will differ from MTW.

spacecadet
06-19-2003, 13:57
Stormer,

If you want your troops to fight to the death, simply play high florins in MP or morale off in SP.

Making stats with units that fight to the death simply alienates all the old time MP peeps that enjoy games where morale actually counts.

Space

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smokin.gif

Stormer
06-19-2003, 14:04
no i dont mean that i meant in the way off some troops in the ancient world like the spartan hoplites usally fought to the death so are they gonna in RTW.

Hakonarson
06-19-2003, 23:15
Spartans may have been expected to fight to the death - but the only place they did so wa at Thermopylae where they couldn't surrender anyway.

They did surernder on other occasions.

Historically no troops have a significant history of fighting to the death en masse except the Japanese, and then only in WW2.

And even then "fighting" may be too strong a word for them - often they committed suicide by banzai charge rather than actually doing any real "fighting".

Many troops would fight on where there was no surrender available, regardless of culture or perceived "quality" of het men involved.

Longshanks
06-20-2003, 22:51
On a side note Stormer, historically the Spartans weren't nearly as formidable during the Roman era.

Stormer
06-20-2003, 22:58
i love the spartans and the way they were seen and they way they brough the children up in a war state and that ritural they preformed at birth. and there fighitng abilities its proberly cause they didnt have the numbers of rome.

Odinn
06-22-2003, 03:23
Quote[/b] ]iv read Ancient warfare troops may seem to have more morale but thats debatable.

Eh? No...

Herodotus
06-22-2003, 06:37
Quote[/b] ]no i dont mean that i meant in the way off some troops in the ancient world like the spartan hoplites usally fought to the death so are they gonna in RTW.

Quote[/b] ]i love the spartans and the way they were seen and they way they brough the children up in a war state and that ritural they preformed at birth. and there fighitng abilities its proberly cause they didnt have the numbers of rome.

TAXI

hoom
06-22-2003, 13:48
For the record, I have had peasants who fought to the last 10 or so.

My understanding of history is that far more often than not, the bulk of the losing army withdrew rather than being slaughtered en-masse.

Presumably if Spartans historically tended to fight to the death, then their unit morale will have a high initial value so that they won't run away in-game unless they are faced with an extraordinarily morale sapping position.

There are plenty of units in MTW that will fight to the last.

Balamir
06-22-2003, 16:01
I can mostly get my units to fight to the end in mp. I lose if I cant anyway, so thats the thing that counts. The idea is about balance. If a unit has casualties during his fighting but he is confident about its flanks, thanhe's not going to fall easily. There are thousands of things that counts, even getting your general close to a bad morale unit can save your life. Its all about doing that, and I would rather it stays like that. Try to imagine a 10000 men army marching with the sound of cold steel and raising a cloud of dust behind, and their march is in your direction. Then you can understand why the unit morale is so fragile. Hope that helps http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

LadyAnn
06-25-2003, 02:41
Fight to the last men? Never see any unit fight to last men unless surrounded. That's why in warfare, always surround by 3 side and leave the 4th open.

Recall the 50% casualty rate of American Civil War in some battles? That's is considered extremely high casualty rate, only surpassed by some battles in WW-2.

I would say that battles usually resolved when casualty rate is about 20%. If the casualty rate is higher (annihilated or >50% rate) were due to the running guys hunted down by the winning side.

Annie

Hakonarson
06-25-2003, 05:12
Casualty rates have slowly come down over het ages - in ancient times it wasn't uncommon to have 90% casualties on a battlefield for the losing side.

these days a 10% casualty rate is considered considerable - it was about 20% for the western allies in WW2 when they considered units "worn out", while in Napoleonic times units might keep going after 30-40% casualties in a battle.