PDA

View Full Version : .Org RTW FAQ

Stormer
06-23-2003, 11:42
Hello,
Ok as iv just recently joined www.totalwar.org updateing new on RTW, i thought i try get something together, I asked the guys down at CA if they would like to awnsar some questions for us and they gladly agreed.

You can post the questions you want here, but their are 2 rules:

1) Dont Ask the same questions as on the totalwar.com FAQ if so i will remove them before sending the FAQ.

2) Some questions cannot be awnserd for legal reasons so dont ask anything which you dont think will be awnsared.

3)One Question per person.

I will be sending them off This Sunday so you have all week basiclly, only around 15 questions will be picked by me.

Apart from that Enjoy http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Stormer
06-23-2003, 15:12

Big King Sanctaphrax
06-23-2003, 15:21
How will trade work in the game?

Stormer
06-23-2003, 15:24
Big king can you keep it too one 1 question please

(i dont mean the forum i meant updateing the news on totalwar.org)

Big King Sanctaphrax
06-23-2003, 15:25
Sorry. Deleting.

Monk
06-23-2003, 19:20
what role will ships play in Rome?

Rosacrux
06-23-2003, 19:22
What will be the level of diplomacy, strategic management and empire building in RTW?

Sir Robin
06-23-2003, 22:05
Most of the questions I have, have probably not been decided on by CA yet.

The main question would be a refinement on the nature of and relationship between cities/provinces and faction boundaries. Since a preview stated that provinces still existed.

To boil it down, is there more than one city per province?

Nowake
06-23-2003, 22:24
Will there be a season-based campaign like in Shogun Total War?

Stormer, do we really have to ask just one question?

Yas Terazawa
06-24-2003, 03:26
In there Multiplay lobby, can we use Asian languages?
It's very hard for us Asian ppl to play in Gamespy server without chatting in our own languages..
For example, Blizzard's starcraft's multi lobby, we can chat with Korean language together, and so we r very friendly with starcraft multi lobby - even for 10 age under kids who do not ever know alphabets.. , and so 10-20 thousands of Korean players r logged in every day and nights.. and so All of the Korean internet cafe's PC's have Starcraft installed..
If u hope for us Asians to buy more retail copies, then let us multiplay more conveniently..
Many of us Koreans become to headache at the English(Alphabet) ONLY available chat rooms.. So, many Korean totalwar fans dont ever enter Gamespy server for that reason..

Please, Allow us to use Asian languages in multiplay lobby , and to be able saperate chat rooms just like we had been able to, in shogun totalwar's Foyer....

Skomatth
06-24-2003, 04:56
Will playing a custom map in multiplayer still require every player to have it or will only the host need it?

scsscsfanfan
06-24-2003, 07:59
is the campaign/ strategy map modable?

Catulus
06-24-2003, 10:09
One thing you notice when reading ancient sources is that generals are constantly worrying about supply lines, foraging and safe winter quarters. Are any of these factors likely to be incorporated in the game and how?

Duke John
06-24-2003, 11:00
Q: Is it possible to use an entirely different model for an unit, or can only the models skin be changed?

Thanks, Duke John

ps I don't care about Romans, I only want to know if I can use the program to make a Lord of the Rings mod http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

tootee
06-24-2003, 16:44
is the tree models gonnabe be improved? they are nuisance in MTW (hard to draw formation in forest, much more difficult to select).. STW tree models were so much better. Previous suggestion by Amp and/or Koc about toggling tree models temporarily off is worth considering.

Fighting in forest should be an important aspect of battle in RTW I think.

Thank you.

CeltiberoSkullXIII
06-24-2003, 19:51
What about Transitions? - i mean, VIDEOS like Ninja killing general and such ones ? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

FesterShinetop
06-26-2003, 00:32
What role will centurions and the like play on the battlefield?

Cobra
06-26-2003, 02:37
Out of curiosity, if one knows answers to these questions, do you want them to be answered so as not to waiste a question on CA?

What multiplay options will we have, will we get anything besides Gamespy?

antek
06-26-2003, 13:15
how will the strategic map work? as far as I've seen the borders are really difficult to see. and will you see all the buildings you build on the strategic map?

alman9898
06-26-2003, 18:43
How many playable factions are there?

RisingSun
06-26-2003, 21:13
Can I withdraw my previous question, since it has been answered in Cobra's interview thingy? My new question is : Will there be more than one city per province?

Stormer
06-26-2003, 21:31
Quote[/b] ]Can I withdraw my previous question, since it has been answered in Cobra's interview thingy? My new question is : Will there be more than one city per province?

yea sure just go and delete it.

Quote[/b] ]How many playable factions are there?

please read the rules now if u looked at totalwar.com's FAQ u would know 21 factions will be in game. you can make another question

alman9898
06-26-2003, 23:04
Quote[/b] ]How many playable factions are there?

Quote[/b] ]please read the rules now if u looked at totalwar.com's FAQ u would know 21 factions will be in game. you can make another question
There will be 21 factions, I know, but how many are playable?

But anyways...

How many different units will there be?

Stormer
06-27-2003, 09:02
i dont think there gonna let us know all the factions until near release.

DrHaphazard
06-27-2003, 22:41
Well I'm just going to throw a question out there since this is my big chance, but please some one tell me if this has been answered before so i can think of a new one.

Q: Will the concept of the triumph (a procession for a victorious general through Rome) be used in any way? Perhaps as a reward or a way to "level up" a general?

Nowake
06-27-2003, 23:17
When are we going to receive the answers, Stormer? And please, pick my question, I consider it rather important http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

hrvojej
06-27-2003, 23:22
How well developed will the roleplaying aspect of the game be, in light of things such as the personality of the generals, i.e. V&V system from MTW?

Aelwyn
06-28-2003, 02:13
Question: Can you please make it possible to use the keypad to select keygroups? I know they are used to move the camera, but thats that I have a mouse for. My hands cannot reach comfortably past the number 6 above the letters, and that even hurts my hands a bit after a while. Can you make it an option please?

Stormer
06-28-2003, 16:06
Well there is less then a day left and i didnt get such a reply i was looking for so if people wanna ask more then one question go ahead. i will be picking the ones i think are appriote anyway.

some_totalwar_dude
06-28-2003, 16:21
Q Can I have rome now? I mean realy now

DrHaphazard
06-28-2003, 16:29
Hey stormer, maybe if you could make a list of the questions you are going to ask so we can see them all in one post, would help to see whats not asked yet.

I'm surprised more people haven't asked questions, but then again i'm having troubles figuring out good ones too...lets see if i can think of another...

Q: We have had hints from MikeB that night battles are possible, and yet the turns seem still to be yearly things. So if we can pick what time of day we want to attack, will we also be able to pick the season?

Oops, i just noticed that pr Fire asked this same question, or a version of it. I think however that we can discern from one on the videos (the one that no one will host anymore) that the turns are yearly, so perhaps my question is a little better.

DrHaphazard
06-28-2003, 16:47
I think this question has already been discussed in one of the interviews/previews but i can't find it now so I'll just throw this question out anyway.

Q: Will it be possible to attack the agricultural base on which a city depends, something like slash and burn tactics, perhaps as a way to hurt the enemy without having to attack the cities themselves? Along the same vein, will the agriculture around a city be damaged during sieges as the besieging troops tear up crops to feed themselves?

If something like the above were implemented it would give commanders a reason to not simply hide within their city walls because the enemy could be destroying the crops on which their populations depend for survival.

Divine Wind
06-28-2003, 18:31
Will we be able to customise our own unit flags? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

DrHaphazard
06-28-2003, 19:00
Q: Will there be any kind of forced march option to get units to a trouble spot quickly? If so what kind of penalties would they face on the battlefield after an exhausting march?

GeWee
06-28-2003, 19:15
What are the projected minimum and recommended system specs?

TosaInu
06-28-2003, 20:28
Will the maps file become more customizable: deployment zones, no go zones, terrainproperties (swamp, rock, small rivers having different speedmodifiers), usage of custom textures and model folders, reinforcement type.

Will RTW allow ADF/BDF like files to be played online, so historical battles, small scenarios and homemade campaigns can be played vs other humans?

Will RTW offer a more extended configuration panel, so gamers (both single and multi) can tweak their games? I'm thinking about the currently hardcoded stats like fatigue, routingtresholds, gamespeed and the like.

Will RTW offer mode(s) where the user chooses wheatherconditions and such instead of having it randomized?

DrHaphazard
06-28-2003, 21:38
Q: Will players be able to build roads or do they appear automatically?

Q: How is the marching route decided? Does the player just click on the destination and the army find the fastest way to get there?

Stormer
06-28-2003, 22:32
DrHaphazard 5 questons cant promise there all be added, but i like the last one http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Big King Sanctaphrax
06-28-2003, 23:08
Is anything resembling a 'discipline' system being represented for troops, eg extra rations following a good performance to boost morale, or punishment of some kind following a weak one?

Mihai Viteazu
06-28-2003, 23:23
Will there still be possible in RTW to give orders during battles in "pause" mode like in Medieval and Shogun?

I'm a total control freak and I don't usually like games that rush me.
As far as I've seen in this forum, I'm not the only one who gives orders in "pause" mode, so I think this is a question of interest for quite a few fans.

Monk
06-28-2003, 23:58
Quote[/b] (Mihai Viteazu @ June 28 2003,18:23)]Will there still be possible in RTW to give orders during battles in "pause" mode like in Medieval and Shogun?

I'm a total control freak and I don't usually like games that rush me.
As far as I've seen in this forum, I'm not the only one who gives orders in "pause" mode, so I think this is a question of interest for quite a few fans.
sorry to post here without a question but i wish to answer this one. in a early preview with UK PC gamer last year (im not sue exactly what preview it was but i remember it very well), CA said that there will be an in battle pause, and the ability to issue orders while every thing is stoped.

DrHaphazard
06-29-2003, 04:52
Sorry about the multiple questions stormer, just hoping to get other people's creative question juices flowing.

Yeah last question was the best.

Cobra
06-29-2003, 06:25
You will be able to do even more in pause than in Medieval. All orders can be done in pause now.

FesterShinetop
06-29-2003, 10:21
I have another question:

Will there be a demo and - dare I ask - when?

Stormer
06-29-2003, 11:13
ok im gonna stop taking questions now because im gonna send them off.

Stormer
06-29-2003, 11:34
Ok iv sent the FAQ off. When i get a reply i will post them on www.totalwar.org and in the Colosseum Forum.

Thank you to everyone that participated weather your questions were in the Final FAQ or not, thanks again.

Catiline
06-29-2003, 15:05
Seeing as how we're aren't taking questions anymore...