PDA

View Full Version : New Building

Aide de camp
08-04-2003, 20:18
Quote[/b] ]Circus Maximus

The Circus is a prestige building, and the skills it requires also aid and encourage the training of the very best cavalry forces. Spills, thrills, accidents and crashes provide the ultimate in entertainment for the residents of many cities.

The Circus is a true spectacle, the main attraction being the chariot racing and the chance for the crowds to lose themselves in the excitement of it all. Chariots are pulled by two, three or four horses but on special occasions there might be up to ten horses per vehicle The charioteers are famous, feted throughout the city and welcome everywhere. There is substantial betting on teams and fanatical followings for the factions "colours". Deaths are common among the drivers as they try to control horses at the gallop and balance the very light chariots around the tight corners of the long oval circuit - all the while avoiding collisions with the other teams. Deaths among the spectators are not unknown as racing fans' passions get out of hand

Spino
08-04-2003, 20:56
I can see this building as being obscenely expensive to build and an excellent Happiness booster and perhaps even a modest revenue generator but aiding and encouraging the training of the very best cavalry forces? Someone correct me here but that seems like a bit of a stretch.

Kraxis
08-04-2003, 20:57
For the first time do they explain a little of what it is going to used for. Elite cavalry, and most likely a vast happiness bonus.

But I wonder if it is a Roman faction unique, meaning that the Roman factions can only build one each (or one at all GAH)?

Hurin_Rules
08-04-2003, 21:45
It shouldn't give any bonus to training cavalry, agreed. Gladiators were condemned criminals and prisoners of war-- not the type of people you're going to enroll in your army. The beast hunters, maybe... not sure if they were slaves or free men. But in any case, the people who fought in the arenas were not the people who fought in the legions, in general.

Kraxis
08-04-2003, 22:14
You guys seem to mistake the Circus for the Colosseum. In the Circus it was indeed chariot races. It was shaped more or less like our tracks today. Oval track with something in the middle. The chariots had to go a certain number of rounds there, any means of winning allowed, besides crossing the center.

jLan
08-05-2003, 03:59
I can see the connection with the elite cavalry. The chariot owners brought in the best horses from all around the empire to breed them and create the ultimate horse.

Hurin_Rules
08-05-2003, 05:22
Ah right, I mistook Circus for Amphitheatre/Colosseum.

But did charioteers ever serve in the Roman army? I still don't think so. Maybe the horses did.

Cobra
08-05-2003, 06:13
This is most likely one of the wonders they spoke of, and wonders usually can only be built once.

Sjakihata
08-05-2003, 22:46
Rofl, maximum circus http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif