PDA

View Full Version : Crusaders RolePlay

Alrowan
02-04-2003, 16:42
It is the year 1095, and pope Urban II has set the call for crusade to free the holy land from the wretched infedels. As a warrior or farmer or peasant or merchant, you hear this call and take up the cross

this is a roleplay, each person will tell parts of thier story and as time goes on a larger story will emerge. Chose a character of your own free will, and help tell a tale of the first crusade.

Rules for posting

all post below are considered to be IC(In Charachter), if you are posting out of charachter, please start your post with OOC(out of character)

please make your charachters story up as you go, and most of all have fun

Alrowan
02-04-2003, 16:48
Derek pulled the plow harder, and under the heat of the day finnished the last of the fields. Ready to be sown, he then took leave and returned to the Estate. When he arrived, his father was talking with some clerics in brown robes, the abbot was also among them. His father, Lord Marcel, looked to his son, with a puzzled look in his eyes. The conversation finnished soon after, and Marcel approached Derek.

"It seems son that the pope has called for us to take arms against the infidel. There is to be a meeting in the Abbey on the morrow."

Dereks head swam... a crusade that would mean war and plunder. Derek had longed for war, his father having fought with Duke William in England had told him of its many glories. Now his chance had come, and he would attened the mass tomorrow and satisfy his curiosity

DemonArchangel
02-06-2003, 02:48
ooc; damn, i wanted to do this, but i didn't have the balls, try moving it to entrance hall to reach more people

Monk
02-06-2003, 03:15
IC;

A Merchant ship reached port along the coast in early morning, Jeremiah's father told him of the pope's words and the Crusade about to take place in an attempt to retake the holy lands.

"That Crusade will need Fighters. and you have trained well in swordsmanship and the art of war. I want you to go with them"

"Yes Father" Jeremiah replied, he had wanted to Fight for along time. Yet his father needed his help, It seemed to be a sign from the All Mighty to take up arms in his name. Even tho he was on a merchant ship, Jeremiah's Father allowed him to train in the arts of swords play and war.

"you will depart at sunrise...goodluck my son",

"I will not fail you father" he answered

When the Sun rose Jeremiah left the port city and started on his journy. He thought about many things, the Crusade, The Holy Lands and those who hold them. He Caught a ride on a wagon, and by late Midday he reached the Place of the Crusade's Gathering.
"Well", Jeremiah thought, "There's no turning back now"

Ithaskar Fëarindel
02-06-2003, 12:59
Moved to EH by request.

Alrowan
02-06-2003, 14:52
thanks for that... lets see a few more join... i know a lot of people have a writing streak here

Ryttare
02-06-2003, 17:43
He was in the first line marching towards the fort, the walls and towers were filled with Archers.
The first swarm of arrows met the flesh, some of the men beside him fell down. It was a terrible sight. Wounded soldiers lying everywhere, screaming for their wives and moms.
Then the battle turned to favour of the attackers, the boulders from the catapults tore down the walls and the commander shouted: For God and Honour, Charge....

Oh man, i always wake up when it starts getting exiting. Anyway, today is the day of the meeting, perhaps i should get ready and head down there...

As a true beliver and skillfull fighter, this opportunity and chance for glory could not be wasted. Johan was prepared to do his duty, in the name of God and Jesus Christ.

Jacque Schtrapp
02-06-2003, 18:54
For God and Saint Mary These words still burned fiercely in the hearts of those privileged enough to be present when Urban II had addressed the assemblage in Rome nine months earlier. Henri, being a simple black smith?s apprentice from Toulouse, had not been one of the privileged. It was his Lord Guillaume?s personal priest, Father Michel, who had led the village in a stirring rendition of the Pope?s words. Many had sought permission from the Lord to join with the four military orders of the Church and march upon the Holy Land. Henri was one of the first granted leave and he wasted no time setting out for the gathering place in Genoa. Once assembled the host wound its way through the mountains, past Venice, and onwards in search of Truth and Glory.

Truth? Henri shook his head disgustedly. He knew all about truth now. Truth was to be found in the barred gates and angry glares from armored men on the parapets of every city they passed by; even the Jewel of the East, Constantinople, had spurned their Quartermaster?s attempt to purchase grain and supplies. Truth was hunger that blinded the crusaders, not that it mattered what path they chose. Truth was that all around them the Turks were raiding their baggage caravan and poisoning the water holes. Truth was that every day that went by several dozen died under a hail of arrows from a band of horsemen darting in and fleeing before anyone could react only to reappear an hour later. Truth was to be found in rotting meat and moldy grain that caused the sudden and vicious bouts of dysentery that killed hundreds without warning. Truth could also be found in the daily roll calls that grew shorter and shorter.

What about Glory? Glory abounded in every small village they destroyed in Lesser Armenia. Glory flowed with the blood of the old men, women, and children they had slaughtered. Glory sprang from the desert in the form of camel riding warriors who shrieked like demons and faded away like ghosts. Glory was marching hundreds of miles through unbearable soul parching heat during the day and shivering sleeplessly all night. Glory came from stinging sand storms that pervaded all of your equipment and clothing. Glory was what gathered them on the field outside Antioch this morning to die.

Henri had gripped his spear and buckler tightly while recalling the instructions his sergeant had given him. Hold the line until the signal to advance is given then march in support of whichever group of ladders reached the walls first. He had done as ordered and been in position to see the ghulam counter attack from behind a cluster of sand dunes. He had witnessed the fall of Duke von Brandenburg, the leader of the crusade, and the subsequent collapse of the entire left side of the army. He had withdrawn to the west with his company and he had walked into the waiting arms of the Saracens pouring from the now open gates. He fought in terror as his comrades fell around him and he screamed his anguish as the sword twisted in his gut and a snarling voice asked in broken French, where is your god now?

DemonArchangel
02-06-2003, 23:05
OOC; I'm going to start this as emperor alexius I, then move into my other character, if you don't want the Byzantines, disregard the Alexius part and remind me in a later post.

The Byzantine Emperor Alexius I sat on his purple garnered throne, he wondered of how to pay the crusaders back for their services. The emperor of Byzantium sat and wondered.
How would he pay them? With Bezants? With land? With crops? With what? The emperor's eyes suddenly lit up, he knew what he would pay the catholic dogs back with: death... The emperor got up off his throne and walked away.

Antioch, 1099...

Eadwulf looked at the man next to him, wondering what he was up to. The man next to was troubled, obviously... Eadwulf turned back around and faced the Saracens. The Saracens were not the savages the Pope had made them out to be. In truth, they were noble and chivalrous and he had not seen any of them ever cook a baby upon their campfires before. He realized that THEY, the crusaders were the infidel, not the Saracens; what decent, religious man could kill entire villages of people and celebrate afterwards? But the Pope was the Pope and any heresy would be rewarded with a trip to the stake. Eadwulf mounted his steed,looked at the knights behind him and then listened for the order to attack. Eadwulf gripped his sword tighter and tighter, waiting for the order to attack. As the moments grew longer, Eadwulf began to grow impatient, the commander still had not given the order to attack yet.

ATTACK The order shot into Eadwulf like the sharpest arrowhead, and Eadwulf prodded his horse into a run as his unit of Knights templar charged right at the backs of a group of muslim archers.

The archers never knew what hit them. The impact of Eadwulf's charger sent one archer slamming into the back of another one, his horse trampling both of them, Eadwulf decapitated 2 other archers and stabbed a third one through the heart. His fellow knights were hacking and slashing just the same as what remained of the archers broke and ran, towards their main lines, causing panic among the main force of muslims.

We happen to be behind the main muslim force, charge into the backs of the infidel and create a gap for our fellow christians to go through said the commander.

Eadwulf and the rest of the knights in his unit charged into a group of urban militiamen, pinning them between the knights and the crusader forces attacking them in the front, Eadwulf lost track of what happened next, as he slashed and slashed over and over again, until he was surrounded with muslim corpses. Then, dizzy with exhaustion, he heard a loud, collective cheer before collapsing.

Monk
02-07-2003, 00:25
As Jeremiah marched on with the Crusade, he thought of things that troubled him. He and his Father had journied to Byzantine Lands and heard of the Muslims and their culture. from what jeremiah had heard they were a great people...not like what the pope had said. althought these were the words of the Byz. and jeremiah wondered if they were true, he also thought if it was right to Kill in the Name of Christ. He asked his Friend Jonah but was answered with this they do not deserve to live, i say we should send them to hell

when the first sign of Muslim Resistence showed near Lesser Armenia, Jeremiah soon earned a name for himself in His great skill as a fighter and bravery when facing a charge from the Muslim Calvary.On a great desert plain somwhere in the Middle East Jeremiah stood with his fellow Crusaders. across the Field was the Islamic Army, They let out shouts and screams that echoed acrosed the baron land. Jeremiah and his friends stood their ground as they Muslims began to advance

Wait untill Thou recieves the Order to attack When Thou reiceves it, advance and maintain Unit Formation. shouted the Commander of the Crusading Army. Jeremiah was in the second row of a Spear unit, as the muslim army advance it soon broke into a charge and was upon the Christian Crusaders. ATTACK the order rang within the Heads and finaly the Crusaders advance upon the Islamic army. The Great charge on both sides killed many. the man infront of Jeremiah was killed my a sword from a calvaryman. In a reaction Jeremiah Killed the Horseman and continued to battle.

The war raged on as both armies weakend, Jerimiah's Sergeant was killed in battle and He took controle of the Unit, he led them back into the thick of battle as they almost routed. Jeremiah stabing and slashing with his spear, killing both man and beast alike as he and his unit advanced an Islamic Swordman cornered Jeremiah and kncoked his spear away. In a rasped and dark Voice said in a strange tounge that Jeremiah never understood Surrender now and I shall spare thee. Jeremiah dew his sword givin to him by his father and slew this attacker. the battle continued and Jeremiah began slashing Men one after the other. a Unit of Knights templar charged from the left flank and destroyed the Muslim's main force. Soon after they routed.

Jeremiah stood for a second daised from battle. around him was the corpes of friend and foe alike.His Mail armor and sword covered in the blood of Muslims, His best Friend Jonah was killed in battle. Jeremiah found him face down shot in the back with an arrow. Most likely when he tried to run. Now who deserves to live? Atleast the Muslims do not Run as they fight Jeremiah said to himself

For some reason Jerimiah did not want to fight anymore... his taste for combat was satisfied, he left the crusade for one reason. He did not aprove of the Crusaders looting of the Towns and slaughtering of Townsfolk who where not even armed. he wandered the Deserts of the Middle East, tearing off his chain mail. Keeping only his sword given to him by his father and his torn Uniform from the Crusading army.

After 2 days of wandering the Wastlands he was found by a Turkish Scouting party, He told them the story of how he had left the Crusade and his reasons. Jeremiah was taken to the Sultan of the Turkish.

I do not ask for mercy, Jeremiah said, For i have Killed many of your Countrymen, Only Forgive my Fellow Crusaders for they are blinded by Zealous thoughts. If thou shall Kill me please make it quick. the Turkish Sultan was surprised of Jeremiah's Knowledge of Arabic Launguage and how he did not ask for mercy. only that his friends would be spared.

I shall not Kill thee young one answered the Sultan For your Skills in war a great, only leave our lands and do not return. You will be given cloths and a fresh camel, and enough food and water to last you untill you reach Byzantine Lands. Do not ask me why i spare you, maybe you are different from the others. Now go and never return, for if you come back ye shall recive no mercy from us.

Jeremiah left the Sultan's Palace and with Clothes and a fresh Camel departed for Constaninople. He thought of His father and his Older Brother, and of his dead friend Jonah. He knew he could not go back to the Crusaders, and so he would go to the Byzantines and enlist in their Millitary. For surely they had need of troops. Forgive me Oh Lord, I have killed in Thy name, Please Find the Kindess to Forgive me. Jeremiah began to pray I used your name as an excuse to Kill, and i killed many. Forgive my fellow Countrymen for they Only Fight for a cause they belive in. Amen my Lord...Amen Jeremiah continued on his Journey to Constaninople, passing a number of Islamic Forces he shouted to them in perfect Arabic Where do You Journy to My Countrymen? The Comander of the Force answered Jeremiah 'we are going to Jerusalem Where Crusaders are about to attack the City The force passed Jeremiah and he thought to himself 'Protect them oh Lord, Watch over them please' He then continued on hoping to reach Byzantine Lands soon.

DemonArchangel
02-07-2003, 03:49
Byzantine Emperor pulled up his purple silk bedsheets tightly around him, tossing and turning, yet he was awake. The holy warriors, known as the crusaders were a pack of greedy dogs, intrested only in money, women and land. To them, Alexius would be God, pronouncing judgement upon the Latin heretics. But how to deal with them? And what about the Muslim infidel? The Turkish needed to be dealt with as well. Then an idea struck Alexius like a war hammer, and the Basil bolted out of bed naked and ran down the long hallway as fast as his legs could take him, and his legs took him right into the path of his daughter Anna, of which he knocked over.

Anna, please, I need to borrow a sheet of parchment. He noticed dozens of sheets of parchment on the ground, most of them apparently covered in Anna's little notes to herself or some like that.

Anna got up off the ground and collected herself. The first words out of her mouth were, Father, what in Christ's name are you running around as naked as a Turkish Prisoner for?

The fate of the Empire depends what I am about to do, please, hand me a sheet of vellum, it will go to good use, i swear it.

But my writings, you can't... Anna pleaded with her father, he could not destroy the current records of his reign.

Then, I shall not... And with those words, Alexius tore off a piece of Anna's nightgown and continued running until he burst into the carrier pigeon's roost, the night keeper glanced at the emperor, then annouced shrilly You got mail

What kind of mail? asked Alexius.

The night keeper tossed him a raveled sheet of parchment, Alexius unrolled and read it, Enlarge your manhood in 14 days. Furious, Alexius was to shred the parchment with his hands, but he suddenly recognized his providence, the back of the parchment had not been written upon and was much easier to write on then a piece of cloth.

Give me a quill and ink Alexius demanded, the keeper threw a bottle of ink and sadly informed him that there were no quills in the roost. Alexius opened the ink bottle and began to write with his finger, a message to the Egyptian sultan.

If the Latin Dogs should lay siege on Jerusalem, then it suggested that you reinforce the Turkish troops guarding the city, or you may lay siege to it yourself and decapitate the Turkish Sultan like a mangy cur, i have no true intention of seeing the holy freed, just that i needed those Latin dogs trapped in such a position so that they'll all be eliminated, and Western Europe will have no warriors to guard it.

Sincerely, Emperor Alexius I

P.S: Do what i say, and a nice little prize of 1,250,000 florins is yours.

Alexius threw the note to the keeper, and then left the pigeon roost, the message will reach the Egyptian Sultan soon enough....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~
Eadwulf woke up in his tent, one of his comrades, a Frenchman was slowly trying to get him to drink some water out of a roughly made goatskin bag stolen off a dead Saracen. During his months in the Holy Land, Eadwulf had gotten used to goat flavored water, because often, it was goat flavored water, or no water at all and Eadwulf definitely preferred the former. Eadwulf slowly sipped the water and then found the strength to sit up.

What happened? asked Eadwulf.

Why Sir, thou hast collapsed of the heatstroke replied the Frenchman.

Heatstroke, what happened out there, we won didn't we?

Yes, the Infidel hast been driven back, the Knights Templar performed well on the field today, you seem recovered enough, i'll leave you to your own devices.

With that, Eadwulf stood up, the crusaders were ready to march again, on to Jerusalem...

AggonyArcher
02-07-2003, 04:19
Any have suggestions for study on this?

Alrowan
02-07-2003, 15:23
OOC: just a note everyone, people seem to be jumping well ahead here.. the diea is to relate a whole story, from leaving france to reaching mighty Jeruselam.. i guess i didnt make it clear enough, nevermind, we will pick up where the crusaders meet and begin thier march to the holy land across europe. Tell your sory bit by bit, and interact with other charachters as we go along.

IC: Derek had marched with his fathers warband for several days now, hoping to join Duke Robert in South Normandy. News had spread fast across the land of a march of peasants, who had left but 3 weeks ago, and marched on led by a hermit. They believed they would deliever the holy land by might of faith alone... Derek inwardly mocked thier foolishness.

It was later on the 5th day that the warband came across Roberts camp, they were further south and east than expected, and even now were on thier way to meet the other nobles and thier armies. Derek remembered the message the abbot had told them, and then remembered the taking up of the cross. Each man was given a white cloth cross to be sewn on thier mantles, and then each was given a silver coin for the pilgramige, so as to enter the gates of the holy city.

They marched with Robert for several more days, when at last, somewhere in France Derek had never been, they reached the mighty camp of the lords of the west. Raymond of Toulous was there, and many others. The warhost camped on a mighty plain, a dark writhing mass of warriors and thier train of wives and children. Derek had never seen such a host, and soon was wandering through the camps, amazed at the wealth of men before him. Later in his wanderings, he saw the sky grew dim, and returned to camp where he rested the night. They were to spend a week longer before marching off across europe.

DemonArchangel
02-07-2003, 16:55
ooc: hmmm... ok, how do i fit this in? Eadwulf will be modified to your specs... But Alexius will stay the same.

Eadwulf lazily bobbed along on his horse,his sword and helmet in his saddle bags, he had been marching for weeks with Henry de Vere, Duke of Mercia, and they were due to meet with Duke Raymond any day now, but there was still no sign of them. Eadwulf sighed, the route was boring, and Eadwulf craved the blood of the infidel, he propped up his saddle bags again and drifted to sleep while still on his horse.

Grothgar
02-08-2003, 01:10
OOC: I assume that as the narrator Alrowan will be pacing the story, and we all fit round that, which is fine with me http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif Also please try to suspend disbelief when you read about my character lol.

A short sharp grunt sounded out in the early morning as one of the guards at the edge of the crusader camp fell over with a dagger in his back. A black shadow grasped the body and eased it down into the soft wet grass, an almost unoticable spectre in the gloom of the false dawn.

The mist was heavy in the air in the south of france at this time of year and the black cloaked assasin used this to his advantage to slip unseen into the crusaders camp. While he had killed, he took no pleasure in slaughter, to him it was all business, just a contract to fufil, no personal feelings involved.

He had wanted to catch his quarry before they left france, and it looked like he would only just be in time, having been delayed on the ship from venice, pirates having tried to raid his vessel during the journey, another reason to keep your feet on solid ground he thought, chuckling silently to himself.

Having slipped past the outlying sentrys, the black clad assasin made his way silently, but confidently, through the still awakening camp, seemingly blending in with his surroundings, the black clad figure gone, and in his place appearing an english archer, a bow strapped across his back, his quiver full of arrows.

He knew that he would not find his quarry this morning, maybe if he could have had the night as well he could have disposed of his target and been gone, but he needed to get knowledge of his target and his practices. His employer had insisted on it and he had been reliably informed that his target was part of the english routine.

He was a fair archer, which explained his disguise, but also because this unit was very conveniant, it is easy for an arrow to hit a friend by accident. He would blend in, bide his time and then strike, his quarry knew he was a wanted man, it would not be easy but the assasin was confident of sucess, after all he had never failed before.

His name, no-one knows his real name; his age, indeterminate; his profession, assasin; and his target, Duke Robert.

He looked around, and even one as emotionaless as him, shook his head in bemusement at the hive of activity around him as he settled down for a few hours rest, no-one noticed that the next morning there was one more person in the unit, they just thought they had overcounted. He just grinned and pulled his cowl up further over his head...

Xicote
02-08-2003, 03:26
Some nice stories going in here. Bah, wish I can do one, I have the imagination of a.... fish? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Longshanks
02-08-2003, 05:25
Crusade.

What a fortunate turn of events for Hugh de Montford. Hugh, a Norman, was the youngest son of one of the lesser nobility in England. As such, he was landless and supported himself by performing the duties of a retainer to a more priveleged uncle in Normandy. He was not prosperous, but now it seemed that providence had tossed an oppurtunity at his feet. One that could not be missed.

Hugh was not present at Clermont, but he need not be. The Pope's speech was being repeated by every monk, priest and Bishop in Western Europe. All of France was afire with the talk of Crusade He had listened while a blind monk sermonized to a large crowd, urging them to take up the cross, rich and poor alike, and punish the heathens. He was not particularly devout, but the sermon had sparked a fire in his heart. Hugh was eager to get to the Holy Land, to take up the cross against the infidel. But here was not only an oppurtunity for the remission of sins, but a chance for plunder, perhaps even a possibility to carve out his own fief. How could he refuse? After all, Deus lo volt (God wills it )

And so Hugh found himself on the road to Lorraine with two landless Flemish knights he had befriended in Normandy. They had talked him into joining up with Godfrey of Bouillon rather than Robert of Normandy, who was not well liked. As they drew near to Godfrey's encampment, the road became choked with all manner of people coming and going. Peasants, merchants, knights, clergymen, whores, and thieves all made their way to the encampment...some looking to join the crusade, others looking to make a profit.

Herodotus
02-08-2003, 08:06
Samuel was sitting by a campfire on the in obvious pain, the campfire was surrounded by men of various backgrounds although all distinctively low class. The one unifying feature was the white crosses that they all wore. Several of the other men were also grimacing and rubbing their feet.

Oh my aching feet cried Samuel To Jeruaselem he says Twill be a miracle I tell you

He looked a portly young man, but Samuel was used to hard labour having worked since a boy in a slaughterhouse, what he wasn't used to was marching while carrying his fathers outdated armour, sword and shield, not to mention the choice cuts of meat his boss had packed for him (he had mused that they would have to be shared soon as he could not keep carrying them and besides they'd be going off soon).

He ended up sharing most of the meat with the men at the campfire, but thought twice about giving it all away, 'afterall' he thought 'that wench keeps looking my way'

Hey there soldier, nice uniform....

Ryttare
02-08-2003, 11:01
He could not belive his eyes. He were walking around the camp with is new found friend, not a farmer or merchant and not a Noble, just a warrior like himself.

-Look at theese men. Peasants and farmers as far as the eye can see, wering their rusty swords and third generation armor. This can't turn out well.

-Perhaps, but at least we will do our duty, hopefully our skill and honor will shine upon them with the help of God.

They aproached the Lieutenant's tent....

Alrowan
02-08-2003, 11:36
OOC: Much better people, yes i am basically setting the pace, hopefully one or two charachters will meet up on the way..

IC: When the horns began to blare at Compline, Derek awoke with a start. The Previous night they had packed most of thier camp, to make ready in the morning at first light. He go up off his roll, and went to a tree to relieve himself. He didnt notice the monk who had come to his camp when he returned, and when the monk insisted on shriving him before he left for the crusade, Derek refused, telling him how all his sins were to be forgotten as he had taken up the cross.

He then set about packing his sword, and joined the line of men leaving the camp. They were to march through Germany, and then onto the unknown lands of the east, there they would join Behomund, and cross into asia.

Grothgar
02-08-2003, 13:58
William, because that was the assasins real name, marched along in formation with the rest of the archers, fatigue threatening to close his eyes. No stranger to weariness, after all he had been forced to wait in one place for some time before his target became visible long ago, but this pace was quite murderous.

It was no surprise to William that the desertion rate of this crusade was quite high, but it also puzzled him why people kept joining up and although it puzzled him, he did not mind because his unit had been losing and gaining new recruits throughout the few days they had been marching, William himself was now thought of one of the old guard because he had stayed around, all of which would make his job a lot easier.

Unfortunately, being part of the old guard had meant that he was relied upon to keep the unit and its new blood in order, whichhad severely curtailed his search for Duke Robert so when an order came in for scouts to be selected to scout forward of the main crusade he was eager to accept.

So here he was, scouting out the land and then reporting back with his findings, all were non-essential but this was practice for when they entered foreign lands. William didnt care about this, he hoped to have his work done by the time they entered germany, never mind the holy land. So, with silent footwork he scouted out the lands and returned to report, always hoping that he would hear word of his target, Duke Robert.

One night when returning from a practice patrol his exceptional hearing heard, or thought it heard, a mention of a certain Duke Robert and they were talking aobut being part of his retinue. A calculating look came upong Williams face as he placed his bow on his back, hid his dagger in its sheath and then marched confidently into the firelight.

Looks of suspicion were passed his way but his confident demenour seemed to put some of them at ease, some but not all.

Who are you? came a voice from the edge of the firelight, tinged with suspicion and also a faint whiff of curiosity.

William of Wessex, scout extroidinaire, back from another practice patrol and wishing to spend my time with some actual people, because although the plains and the animals are fine companions im sure you fellows would be better company.

William then looked round slowly and with a deliberate look in his eyes spread his arms, Or maybe, looking round, i would be better off with the animals. William chuckled after this sentance. There was a stillness however with most of the people round the fire trying to figure out if it was an insult or not.

Then the same man that had asked who he was stood up and laughed, walked up to William and offered his hand. William shook it and found it was a firm grip as William scanned the man in a few seconds but keeping his expression blank.

Im Derek, these are my men and welcome stranger, im sure we would be interested to hear your tales of rousing adventure with lasses of loose morals and your amazing tales of victory against the odds, after all a humble scout like yourself must have had thousands of them. Derek said this with a grin that was infectious, and for once in his life William felt at ease as he sat down, laughter rising up around him.

After being introduced to the rest of the men William, a gifted storyteller in many ways, started to tell them rousing adventures until most of the men were asleep and only he and Derek awake, he leaned in and spoke just above a whisper.

When i came across this camp i heard the name of certain someone i would much like to meet, because i have heard stories of this man, ive probably told some myself, and i would very much like to see this man. His name you ask? well that would be Duke Robert...

William relaxed back and waited for the reply

DemonArchangel
02-08-2003, 15:14
The Egyptian Sultan was quietly dozing in his throne room, when his Qadi-al-Quda poked him with his finger, HARD. The Sultan woke with a start.

Huh, whu iz it? The sultan said sleepily....

Sultan, it is a letter, from the Byzantine Emperor, The Qadi-Al-Quda handed him the folded sheet of parchment.

Enlarge, your, man, hood, in, 14, days... the Sultan's Greek was poor, and he could barely read the message, though, he seriously considered taking Alexius up on the offer.

No you crack-brained imbecile read the OTHER side the Qadi-Al-Quda tore the parchment out of the Sultan's hands and flipped it to the other side, then handed it back to the sultan. The sultan read.

If the Latin Dogs should lay siege on Jerusalem, then it suggested that you reinforce the Turkish troops guarding the city, or you may lay siege to it yourself and decapitate the Turkish Sultan like a mangy cur, i have no true intention of seeing the holy land freed, just that i needed those Latin dogs trapped in such a position so that they'll all be eliminated, and Western Europe will have no warriors to guard it.

Sincerely, Emperor Alexius I

P.S: Do what i say, and a nice little prize of 1,250,000 florins is yours.

The sultan also seriously considered Emperor Alexius' second offer, though the 1,250,000 didn't seem as appealing as enlarging his manhood.

Get out a paper and pen the Sultan commanded his assistant.

The Qadi-Al-Quda whipped out a reed pen and began penning a response for the Sultan as he drifted off back to sleep, it read.

Gladly.

P.S: Are you serious about the enlargement of manhood?

Alrowan
02-08-2003, 15:16
Derek narrowed his eyes with suspicion almost in an instant... since this man came and joined his camp he had been wary, even since the first handshake. This willian character could not keep his mind out of others buisness, but nevertheless, he would play his game for a while yet.

Derek let the narrow look pass in an instant, not allowing enough time to recognise the look in the fire-lit night. Derek then simply replied, This Duke Robert you speak of, I believe I owe him fealty, as he is duke of my father, and therefore, our lands are under his protection. What is it that you wish of my lord, and why must you see him? Dereks voice softened a little, and a smile played across his lips, Anyway, fortunate you would be to greet him, as I am still to set eyes upon my lord. He let the words sink in, and watched the strangers reaction. Nevertheless, I hear he can be a most generous lord, only pray that he gives a low scout like you any audience with him. Derek rose, Well my friend, I must be off, we have a long march tomorrow, and i hear we will be crossing the Rhine into Germany, so keep your wits with you, these Germans are barbarous. he finnished with a wink, and left for his nook in a tree.

DemonArchangel
02-08-2003, 15:38
Eadwulf was in the woods alone and by himself, practicing his swordsmanship, which was legendary to begin with. Eadwulf was practcing against an invisible opponent, what he thought an infidel warrior might look like, a terrible horned beast with sharp fangs and spiked armor, wielding twin maces. His imaginary opponent was fighting like a madman, lashing out randomly and with incredible fury. Eadwulf bested his imagination in one powerful thrust. Wiping off his sweaty brow, he walked back to camp.

Grothgar
02-08-2003, 20:43
William watched Derek go, until his eyes could no longer see him in the black of night. He thought back onto the conversation, going over every detail in his mind, playing it over and over trying to sort through the, ultimately dissapointing, information he had learnt.

When he had mentions Duke Roberts name Derek face had narrowed, or had it, the flickering firelight had obscured most of the facial movements of both men, or so he assumed. He hoped it had because upon hearing that his target had not been seen, and by the son of one who owed the Duke fealty, he had flinched slightly.

William had hoped to be done with his task before they entered Germany but as he had learned, they were entering Germany tommorow, and the Germans had never been one to shy away from confronting papal authority, his position of scout could become a lot more perilous. Despite his natural caution a bit of excitement seeped into Williams belly, he couldnt recognize it of course but he felt it all the same.

Besides he had already made up in his mind to stay closer to this Derek fellow, obviously a semi important man, son of a feudal baron after all, he would know what other men didnt. He would ask to be transferred to Dereks command, this would allow William to keep a closer eye on Derek and, though he wouldnt admit it, he liked Derek, he had the same steely composure and suspicious nature which William prided himself on. This was going to get very interesting...

Longshanks
02-08-2003, 23:21
OOC: Just wondering what are the rules here for historical accuracy. Obviously there will be some deviation, but it seems like this is turning into an alternate history roleplay.

Histocial note: Palestine and Jerusalem was Egyptian(Fatimid) territory rather than Turkish, although the Christians fought through the Turks in Asia Minor as well to get there. The 1st Crusade was also launched at the instigation of Alexius I. Alexius I had written a letter to the pope in 1095 asking for help against the Seljuk Turks, who had taken all of Asia Minor from him. Rather than having plans of conquest in the West, Alexius needed aid in the East against the Turk.

When the Crusaders arrived, Alexius forced them to swear fealty to him, in order for him to give them supplies and ship transport to Asia minor. By making them take this oath, Alexius wanted them to turn over any territory they captured back to the Byzantines. Of course the leaders of the Crusade had no intentions of doing this, and ended up carving out four independant western Crusader Kingdoms in the middle East for themselves.(collectively called Outremer)

The 1st Crusade(the one we are roleplaying) also ended in success for the Crusaders. They first captured Nicaea, along with the Byzantines who kept the city. The Crusaders then captured Jerusalem which was their main goal, as well as Antioch, Edessa and Tripoli.(which became the 4 Crusader nations)

If anyone wants background info on the 1st Crusade, here's a good site:

http://crusades.boisestate.edu/1st/index.html

Monk
02-09-2003, 00:38
Jeremiah Tredged over the Wastelands, not knowing where he was. He eventually came to a small Berber Village in the midst of the deserts. he had been redirected somehow and had been marching the wrong way. If he wanted to Get to Byzantine lands he would have to trek back west. He decided that it may be to far to reach. as he had Left the Crusade before it even got close to Antioch, he thought of them often.

He wondered how they were fairing in their battles. Stoping for the Night he made camp. it was about midnight when 3 travlers came upon his camp, Excuss me, Whats thou doin alone in the desert in these troubled times said one of the Travelers.

I am a Crusader, started Jeremiah, as he said this the 3 shifted and drew their swords. Yet i left them for i do not aproove of their actions in theft and murder. As Jeremiah stared into the Night sky the 3 eased themselve and sheved their swords.

That is good. one answered For the Things the Crusaders do is not the action of Holy Men, had you not said you left we might have killed you where you sit

I dont blame you, said Jeremiah As they deserve death for their crimes. Where do thy go?

We journy to Antioch for The crusade draws near one said. Every soldier is needed. Another stated.

where do you go my friend? they asked Jeremiah. he answered I journey to Byzantine Lands, where i hope to take a ship to france and see my family again. Although i dont believe that is where i must go. the 3 travelers were confused by Jeremiah's Statment.My Lord has shown me my destiney and i cannot run from it. one way or another my path leads me to Antioch.

why do you say that? the confused Travelers asked.

Jeremiah answered them I left the Crusade and i was captured by Turkish. i tried to goto Byzantine lands, but i was turned around and ended up near Antioch. For you see it apears my path leads me there.

Will you rejoin the Crusade? They asked him

No, I will Fight with you Jeremiah said firmly.

What? But why? why whould you fight with us? We are your enemy The Cusaders are my enemy for their holy actions of murder and theivery. I shall fight with you. For you are the Enemy of My enemy, Therefore you are my friend.

Very well the leader of the 3 said, we depart in the morning, we will reach Antioch in 2 days journey from here.

Then so be it. Jeremiah said.

The 4 capmed that night and in the Morning they would ride to Antioch to help the Defenders there. SHould Antioch fall befor ethey arrive, the 4 agreed to goto Jerusalem and defend the City.
-----------------------------------------------------------

OOC: My Character has left the Crusade for he hates the way Killing/theiving is done in the Lord's name. he now fights along side the Muslim Forces. This prob wouldnt have happened in real life but this is just Roleplay.

Herodotus
02-09-2003, 02:30
Samuel was now marching with about 20 men and though his feet still troubled him he had resolved to go onward. He was now free of his extra burden of meat and was thinking about how lucky he was to have kept some having seen what some of the other men were eating.

If I hadn't kept some I'd have to eat that muck they serve up he thought spot of luck I had a bit of money for the whore

It was now the end of a long day of marching, and Samuel could see the camp had increased in size tenfold, no, more
this is it, the main camp he thought, elated I wonder if the pace will be a bit slower.

It was Samuels turn to look after the gear while the others gathered faggots of wood for the fire. He was glad of it for it gave him the first chance of the day to tend to his feet, after awhile he started to pay more careful attention of his surroundings. He had heard from his father what it would be like, but it seemed now that his father had left out quite alot, like all the whores for starters.

Some of the men dropped some faggots and returned to the wood to gets some more, Samuel started making the fire and thought about how he would cook his last fine cut of meat....

Alrowan
02-09-2003, 06:26
OOC: i dont mind if it becomes an alternate history of sorts.. just keep it believable

Dramicus
02-09-2003, 07:22
Lord Hermann der Riegel sat on his throne within a castle somewhere in Württemberg. He set down his goblet and strode towords an open window, far to the left of the ancient, gem-encrusted chair. As he passed the line of pillars which ran down each side of the throne, he grabbed at the side of one slightly and let his armored hand slide across it's surface. The sun shone brightly, casting an erie shadow which streched across the throne room floor, past the pillars, past the embroidered, red rug and halting slightly before the second row of pillars. Gazing out over his land, the scene put him at ease. His castle held a commanding view over the surrounding country side and forest below. The only thing of notice was a small hamlet which was constructed on the foundations of one which was razed during the wars of his father. Today wasent much different from any other except for the lone horseman who rode down the path which lead to the castle.
He came baring a decree from the emperor who was politely requesting that Lord Riegel present himself, aswell as an army consisting of two hundred men, at Bavaria. There they would meet up with another force of soldiers and have their orders presented.

That was almost a year ago...

Now Lord Hermann stood within sight of Antioch with an army of slightly more than ten thousand men. Here he would determen wether he ever was worthy of his father's name...

(ooc: PLEASE no one continue or do anything about antioch untill i continue the story. This would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance&#33http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Alrowan
02-09-2003, 10:11
ooc: dont worry, we are still a long way off story wise before we get to antioch... we have all of germany to cross, and then the inturges of constantinople

Ryttare
02-09-2003, 10:30
- That's a fine horse u got Johan, where did u get it from?

- Since the lieutanent said I needed a horse to join his personally guard. So i just went to the nearest farm and borrowedone in the name of God, hehehehe.

- Can't i borrow it from you then, im sick of walking

- Haha, no way m8. Now when we are passing throug germany i'll hang on to my horse or i will lose it. They are barbarians u know. Hope the General will do the right thing and put them in the first line, soaking up all the arrows.

- We are all christian, remember Johan.

- Yeah,yeah. I know. Well I'm of to eat with the fine men in the tents, enjoy your soup, hehe.

Dramicus
02-09-2003, 14:37
Quote[/b] (Alrowan @ Feb. 09 2003,03:11)]ooc: dont worry, we are still a long way off story wise before we get to antioch... we have all of germany to cross, and then the inturges of constantinople
ooc: well I just wanted to make sure I got that part... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smokin.gif

DemonArchangel
02-10-2003, 01:03
Emperor Alexius was wandering the palace grounds rather aimlessly, occasionally greeting members of his staff and important nobles. Alexius was tired of waiting for those Latin dogs to come, but first they had to do the dirty work of fighting off the Seljuks before Alexius could betray them, but of course, Alexius could take the land back by himself but, he was lazy, lazy man who didn't want to ride out at the head of his troops, even though he could, and despite the fact that the Seljuks were pausing for breath and weren't in a mood to attack, Alexius didn't want to go out and fight the Turks, he was saving his energy on creating a Western European empire, maybe something that included Rome. Alexius estimated that the Latin dogs would take another three months to get to the Holy Land, a decent amount of time to set up an ambush, or maybe a decent amount of time to attack the Turks, but soon enough, something was going to go down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eadwulf looked at the man sitting next to him and tried to enjoy the wild boar he killed himself on foot just a few hours ago, that man who went by the name of Jonah was just a filthy thief who didn't care about the true purpose of the crusade and sought only wealth. The crusade was riddled with godless leeches like Jonah, but they would serve their purpose soaking up Fatimid and Seljuk arrows, well hopefully, because otherwise, if people like them ruled the holy land, god help us all...

Monk
02-10-2003, 02:53
ooc: since i was writing alittle ahead of u all ill stop now and wait a few days before i continue. it really dont matter to me since Jeremiah (my character) is stuck in Syria with 3 Islamic Travelers heading towards Antioch. he will need to cross all of that before he can reach his destination, and it will probly take him a few weeks http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif. so keep those great stories coming.

DemonArchangel
02-10-2003, 22:26
ooc: bump

Dramicus
08-05-2003, 20:45
Quote[/b] (Monk @ Feb. 09 2003,20:53)]ooc: since i was writing alittle ahead of u all ill stop now and wait a few days before i continue. it really dont matter to me since Jeremiah (my character) is stuck in Syria with 3 Islamic Travelers heading towards Antioch. he will need to cross all of that before he can reach his destination, and it will probly take him a few weeks http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif. so keep those great stories coming.
same here...

thrawn
08-05-2003, 21:36
IC:

Voltar Ericson stared bleakly into his cup. It had been two weeks since his arrival in Constantinople and for two weeks he had been denied access to the palace. His most prized possesion, a huge doublesided ax lay next to him on the bench. This weak Eastern wine was not helping his mood, and neither were the fat Greeks next to him arguing over the price of wool. The big man grunted and glared at the bickering merchants, his large golden locks tumbling over his shoulder. One of the men was drunk already and it was just the start of the afternoon.
Can I help you? the Greek asked in a scratchy voice.
Voltar's eyes narrowed. Go away he spoke.
The Greek cocked his head to the side and said go away imitating Voltar's rough accent.
The move was so fast that the merchant didnt even re-act. Voltar swiped the ax and slammed it down between the man's legs nearly splitting the bench in two. A small rapidly expanding spot appeared on the merchants trousers when he realized the blade was a mere inch from making him much less of a man. The drunk merchant tumbled from the bench and ran headlong from the tavern.
Voltar sighed and turned back to his drink eying the bartender. He realized that the other merchant hadn't even blinked or moved from the bench.
Not joining your friend? Voltar asked staring into the cup.
Him? I hardly know him The man spoke norse flawlessly.
Voltar turned. The fat Greek stared at him.
Let me guess, Varagian?
No, not yet, Voltar said. I haven't been able to get to the righ people.
The greek eyed him shrewdly. I can help, I am a personal 'friend' of the Emperor's nephew. But there is a price.
Voltar suddenly lost all interest in his drink. What do you want?
That is a very simple question with a very long complex answer my friend.

to be continued...

Alrowan
08-06-2003, 09:17
OOC:

holy $#%@

this has been resurected

im sorry guys but i cant be GM anymore here.. uni will take up a lot of my spare time, but im sure you guys know the story http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

thrawn
08-06-2003, 21:34
OOC: I have no idea if people are still posting for this but I'll keep doing it with the hopes that others will eventually return/join...

IC:

There is an inn down the street and to your left. Said the merchant. You will find a man that answers to the name Loc, and then you will kill him.
Voltar paused. Kill him?
I assume it doesnt make you squeamish norseman.
No, but?
You have something I need, a service. You wish for me to do you a service as well. A simple trade. he held out his hands.
Why.
Unnecessary. He simply needs to die. You will understand why.
Voltar's blue eyes narrowed. I don't like mysteries merchant.
The fat man smiled. You will like Loc even less, believe me.
Voltar stared at him a moment, then downed his wine in a single gulp.
You're coming with. The merchant's eyes widened and he opened his mouth to object.
Why? Voltar asked for him dragging the merchant by the collar out the door. Collateral on the promise you just made me.
The merchant shook the viking off angrily but walked toward the inn reluctantly. Voltar, ax in hand, strolled after him.

Dramicus
08-06-2003, 22:15
Quote[/b] (thrawn @ Aug. 06 2003,16:34)]The merchant shook the viking off angrily but walked toward the inn reluctantly. Voltar, ax in hand, strolled after him.
ooc: nice.... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

thrawn
08-06-2003, 22:25
The inn was near empty. About a halfdozen patrons sat near the barkeep. Close to the back of the inn a group of young men were hundled. None of them were heavily armed, but all carried small swords. Voltar turned to stare at the merchant.
Which one?
The merchant whispered. The man with the green cloth wrapped around his forehead, I think.
You don't know what he looks like?
No the merchant hissed back. The large viking sighed. Time for a more direct approach. Voltar stepped inside and walked to the middle of the room. Then, wihtout preamble he slammed his ax down and buried it in the center of a round oak table. Silence reigned and every eye centered on him.
I'm looking for Loc. Voltar said, eyeing the man with the green headband.
Silence.
The merchant slowly began to step away from the viking.
What do you want? the green headband wearer asked.
Are you Loc? Voltar fingered the top of his ax that was not buried in the wood.
The man sketched a bow. I am.
Voltar ripped the ax from the table, splinters flew and the table cracked and sagged from the damage.
Then you can die. Voltar advanced ax in hand. Loc smiled and drew his sword, and so did three of the men standing with him.
The first charged Voltar while Loc's other friends moved to the right and left to get behind him. The man's roar of courage turned into a scream of pain as Voltar ducked the first blow and severed the arm that launched it. With his free hand he flung a small oak stool at his left opponent. The man ducked and the stool felled the unfortunate barkeep who was behind him. This allowed Voltar time to focus on his right. This man swung two chops at Voltar, both probes. The second chop the viking caught on his ax knocking the sword away. Steping forward he grabbed the man by the collar and launched him toward Loc. Loc sidesteped and the man flattened a small table. The stool dodger charged at Voltar's back. Seizing another stool Voltar used it as a shield to knock aside the first blow. The second he caught high on his ax. The men struggled for a brief second, weapons locked. Voltar smashed the stool into the man's midsection batting him away.
Loc was still in the same place. Bravo. he said. I see Nicollo has finally recruited someone to stop my preaching.
Voltar paused. Your what?
Preaching.
The merchant simply shook his head and glared. Kill him norseman.
Voltar ignored him. What are you doing Loc?
I am an emmissary from Rome, here on the business of the Pope.
Right. Voltar began to walk forward. Loc retreat back still speaking.
His holiness has requested me to come to this city and provide him with intelligence regarding the current attitude toward our Crusade.
Voltar kept walk ax at the ready. Loc's back hit the far wall.
Are you not a Catholic? Dammit man whats wrong with you? Loc glared angrily at the advancing viking who was a mere step away now.
Voltar pinned Loc against the wall with his ax handle. I worship coin, and its luster is my god. Voltar growled. Then work for me, for us, I will pay you. Voltar paused. How much?
The fat man said Kill him now and be done with it, he can't offer you anything
Voltar repeated How much?
The merchant's robes whisked and he whipped a knife at Voltars back. Voltar turned but the knife caught his shoulder before glancing off. He tossed Loc into a chair and hurled his ax at the merchant. The blade buried in the fat man's head knocking him off his feet.
Turning back to Loc he helped the man stand.
After cleaning off his ax he turned to Loc.
So how much? Don't cross me unless you think your head is thicker than the greeks.
Loc smiled weakly.

To be continued...

thrawn
08-07-2003, 20:36
IC (of course&#33http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Listen, Loc said. The two men were in a cramped room above the brutal scene in the bar. Loc's personal effects were cluttered about. He did seem to have some kind of tie to the Pope. He had paraded his Papal Seal about infront of Voltar but the viking was unimpressed. Papers meant nothing to him. I told you I don't have any money to give you NOW.
The viking sat opposite Loc fingering his massive doubled sided ax.
You told me you could pay me. The blue eyes glared.
I didn't say when. Loc's courage, although shaky was still there.
Voltar rose from his seat, towering over the slender emmissary.
When.
Loc knew he had to choose his words carefully, so he stalled.
What did the greek offer?
Voltar caressed the ax lovingly. A position in the Varangian Guard. Which pays for itself as you know.
Loc collapsed back against his seat. He wiped his damp brow. Why didnt you say so? It is done tomorrow. You will be a Varangian for Alexius.
Loc turned from the big man. You can go and I will send for you tomorrow after the arrangements have been made. Loc began hurriedly scrawling something on a blank parchment. The loud screech of wood on wood tore Loc away from his scribbling.
Voltar had moved the bed over and was climbing into it.
What are you doing? Loc asked slightly perplexed.
Taking a nap.
Loc paused for a minute then returned to his desk.
A short while the viking was snoring at volume. Loc tiptoed up to the bed and peered at Voltar. Drawing no reaction from the sleeping giant he decided to sneak past. With blinding speed an arm lashed out and assumed a painful grip on Loc's arm. Loc stopped breathing. Risking a look at Voltar he saw the norseman was wide awake. Shaking free of the viking he retreated back to his desk.
Voltar simply stared at him.
Maybe I'll take a nap too. Loc stammered. Putting his head down on the desk Loc quickly drifted off.
Voltar laid back and smiled. Tomorrow was going to be an interesting day.

t b c ...

thrawn
08-08-2003, 16:47
IC:
The processor was a short man, garbed in a volumous robe emblazoned with the royal seal. Loc merely carried a bible and wore a cross that was not large, but prominently displayed.
Good day Nicearus. The robed man nodded.
Loc. What can the Emperor's Hand do for you today? The thin man eyed Voltar appraisingly.
Loc stepped between the seated man and the viking. His name is Voltar... Loc turned slightly.
Voltar folded his arms. Ericsson.
He's looking for 'employment'.
You dont say. THe official played with his ear as he thought. I would normally say add him to the Varangian lists but there are dozens waiting already. His Majesty has not commissioned a new regiment. Probably due to the support the Crusade will bring to his Empire. I'm sorry.
Voltar frowned. Loc began to sweat. Nicearus, as a show of goodwill between your Emperor and the Pope, as a personal boon to me His Holiness's embassy, I request that he be commisssioned as a Varangian.
The thin man leaned back in his chair and idly rubbed his hand across his face.
You ask much Loc. Loc smiled weakly. All right. After a beat. You two Nicearus gestured to a pair of lightly armed guards. Escort Derickson to the barracks.
Voltar growled Its Ericsson.
Whatever. He handed the nearest guard a parchment. My compliments to General Logran.
Sir.
The guards marched the viking away. Neither stood very close to the burly norseman, keeping out of arms reach with hands on their sword hilts.
Voltar ignored them.

Nicearus stood after Loc had left. So the Papacy was trying to insert agents into the Varangian Guard. Assassins or simply informants? It mattered not. This Ericsson would have to be watched, and others screened more rigourously. Loc was not a devious man, but his superiours were. There must be a real spy among them. This viking was simply a diversion. Nicearus hurried up the palace steps. Alexius was a busy man but he demanded to know every movement of the Papal agents. Hopefully his Majesty is in a good mood today...

thrawn
08-08-2003, 17:20
IC
Voltar ducked into a smell dusty room. The barracks were quiet at the moment. The two nervous guards followed him into the room. A huge man was seated at the end of the table, face hidden in shadow.
Sir. The parchment carrier saluted.
The man in the chair grunted.
This man comes from Nicearus. Voltar crossed his arms.
His name is Derickson. Voltar rolled his eyes.
He is a new addition to your regiment.
Silence. The big man's breathing was the only sound.
The guard began to lose it. He started to sweat and shuffle his feet.
Out.
The two men practically sprinted out of the office. Voltar rested his ax head on the ground and leaded on the handle with both hands.
General Logran I pressume.
The hulk in the chair got up slowly. The man was slightly taller than Voltar and far heavier. He paced slowly over to where the viking leaned on his ax. A hand stretched out.
Magnificent weapon.
Voltar extended it handle first. It was my brother's. General Logran gripped it expertly and executed several cuts. Why did he part from it. the General spoke in Greek this time. Voltar paused. You must learn Greek. the large man said switching back to Norse. Why did he part from it?
Voltar turned away. He was betrayed.
Silence.
Voltar turned back taking the ax back as well.
The big man stepped into the light. A surprisingly pleasant face greeted the viking. A scar running from below the General's left eye to the back edge of his jaw stretched uncomfortably as the man smiled.
It says in your papers that you were commissioned through the good grace of the Pope's influence.
Voltar stiffened and opened his mouth to speak.
A meaty hand rested on his shoulder stopping him.
You will be watched. Not just by me. But by the Emperor's agents. The hand began to squeeze. Voltar wanted to break away. There is a simple rule to being a Varangian. Loyalty to your officers. I dont care whose God you worship. I don't what you do out of service. I don't care if you fancy men or women, or both. The hand was digging now and Voltar's eyes narrowed as the pain increased. He kept his face clear of emotion. You will follow orders. You will fight fearlessly. You will kill without hesitation or question. Voltar winced slightly as the hand tightened still, his vision began to blur with the pain. Then he was released and nearly gasped with relief.
Tomorrow you become a Varangian. If you survive.
The General lumbered out of the room leaving Voltar to massage a seriously abused neck and shoulder. Small discoloration of the skin showed serious bruising to come. Shrugging off the pain Voltar knocked his ax back over his other shoulder and followed the General out.

thrawn
08-08-2003, 17:33
Nicearus gained audience with Alexius himself that afternoon. The Emperor was strolling in the palace gardens when Nicearus found him.
Your Majesty he began. The Emperor turned and listened to his brief tale.
So the Pope hopes to infiltrate the Varangian? Too bad relgious sway does not hold over those men. He eyed Nicearus carefully. Wait a moment. I've seen you before haven't I?
Nicearus started to pace backwards. I'm sure we have met on several occasions your majesty.
No, this was something specific. Something embarrassing. Nicearus began to back away more quickly trying not to trip. Alexius advanced.
Something about mail The Emperor stroked his chin.
Aha I have it
Nicearus turned ashen.
It was that cursed junk mail that keeps cluttering the mail room and tying up pigeons
The Emperor siezed Nicearus with both hands and lifted him by the collar.
Enlarge your manhood in 14 days or less It was you who started that
Your majesty I'm sorry, it seemed like a harmless investment, to send several to your friends and then get a sample free.
They wont stop sending them The King roared.
Then he brought his voice down. Does it work? he whispered. Nicearus felt like throwing up.

OOC: an amage to the late poster on this topic DemonArchangel http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif whose wit doth excede mine own

Sigurd
08-09-2003, 11:25
This is actually good reading... keep it coming. I think there are several of us who like good stories. The lack of responding is due to, not willing to interrupt a good story…

I thought well and hard on how to insert a Norse character into this role-play, but reading about the first crusades I decided it would be far-fetched having a Noble son from the city of Bergen/Bjørgvin (founded 1070AD) go and join Urban II’s call for a crusade or the previous People’s crusade by Peter the Hermit… They where barely christened in Norway at that time. The official dates say 1030AD, but that was by force and the blade… It took many, many years before the costal Jarls(Earls) embraced white-Christ and the Christian way.

kataphraktoi
08-09-2003, 16:56
Letters of Constantine of Laodicea:
A letter to his fellow monks

From the letters of my friends in Constantinople, I have been able to gain an idea of what to expect from these 'warriots' from the West. They are called 'Franks' or as the government officials like my young nephew Michael Cephalius the 'Latinikon'. They are unlike normal men: tall, fair, brutish and barbaric. A partnership in fear and wonder greets these westerners in the lands they will soon pass. Fear: because of their dedication to the violence and warfare, it is as if they live a life of one long war. Wonder: because not even the Christian Faith can tame their savagery and animal-like behaviour.

Although one suspects that the Patriarch in Rome is in deep heresy and such cannot preach the true faith as our venerable Eastern fathers can. Oh Orthodoxy When will you prevail

One thing that concerns me the most and vexes me the most is the indiscriminate conduct of these 'Franks'.

From another missive from my nephew, they slaughter more of our Christian brethren than the cursed Ishmaelities and the Hagarenes and the Saracens

Take care, hide your gold, hide our icons and hide the sacred word deep in the earth. For I am told these 'Franks' have a sixth sense to smell out gold A gift no doubt from God I will leave you to attend your business now.

Kyrie Eleison

Constantine Basilicius of Laodicea in Syria

DemonArchangel
08-09-2003, 18:43
OOC: Thx Thrawn

Emperor Alexius carefully put Nicearus down, being careful not to throw him against the wall. Years of warfare against the Turks had given him a high command rating and its attendant increases in valor, which gave him some sort of superhuman strength. Alexius preferred not to dwell on it, as it confused him more than slightly. In reality, the Turks were easy enough to deal with if you kept your head level enough, but the Westerners were another thing indeed, he needed to deal with them and deal with them severely. By the time this was all said and done, the Western Roman empire and the Eastern Roman Empire will be one again and....- Suddenly, Alexius remembered his question to Nicearus: Did the manhood formula work? Alexius almost instinctively grabbed his crotch in a manner similar to what an androgynous metamorphasizing musician with a deformed nose would do 900 years later. Alexius shuffled his his heels backwards across the marble and granite tiling of the gardens, spun around on his scarlet shoes; then gave a loud WOO before turning towards Nicearus again.

DemonArchangel
08-09-2003, 19:31
Anna walked about the gardens, holding a thick roll of parchment with all sorts of writings, notes and maybe the beginnings of occasional Ye Olde adult novels involving her, and good looking, well muscled men. Her father glided across garden, grabbing his crotch in a most unseemly manner not fit for royalty, but she didn't notice, nor did she care that much. She didn't have a manhood to enlarge, so as a corollary, she shouldn't give a flying f**k about the enlargement of the male genital area. Anna continued to scribble on her parchment innumerable observations about Alexius and his activities, this was going to make one GOOD book when she was finished with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Egyptian sultan, waking up from his morning nap; called for his Qadi-Al-Quda. The Qadi-Al-Quda's robes were looking disheveled and the man himself was looking extremely tired. Well, this narrator couldn't blame the Qadi-Al-Quda, it was 3 in the morning and a particularly large Abyssianian had been sent to drag the Qadi-Al-Quda out of his bed to audience with the Sultan.

Whaddya want f**kface? said the Qadi-Al-Quda groggily.

Well, any word on Emperor Alexius' reply yet? asked the Sultan.

You f**king idiot He wrote to you You're supposed to f**king ask if WE got a reply from him dipsh*t

Well, yes, that's what I meant, uh.... uhm.... I'M HUNGRY GET ME SOME FOOD The Qadi Al Quda sighed and gave a one fingered salute to the Sultan before going down to the kitchens, the Sultan immediately dozed off again, drool sliding down his chin.

thrawn
08-11-2003, 18:07
It was dark when then came to get him. Rough hands siezed Voltar violently. The viking was awake in an instant. He gripped the wrist of one offender and twisted hard. The man spun and bounced noisily off of the wall. A second assailant crashed into Voltar pinning him against the near wall. Voltar began to grapple with the smaller man when a light appeared in the doorway.
Good morning Voltar. It was Logran. With a snarl the viking tossed the second man to the floor.
The two men gathered themselves and came at Voltar again.
Enough. The word was spoken evenly but it lashed the advancing men like a whip. Both trembled and glared at the burly viking but both stopped moving.
Time to start your day. Tomorrow you can worry about beauty sleep. Follow me.
Voltar started forward. As he passed he heard on of his attackers mutter Not that beauty sleep would do him much good as he rubbed his abused skull.
Voltar grinned.

The morning mist still clung to the sand. Voltar could smell the must of dawn. The sun would be up soon. Logran paced ahead of him, visible only by the faint candle light. The General stooped and retrieved something from the ground. He tossed it casually to Voltar. The viking snatched it from the air with ease. An oaken staff. When he looked up the General was gone. He moves well for someone that large. Spinning the staff in his hands Voltar peered about. Today was certainly going to be different.
He could see a shadow approaching accompanied with the creak of leather boots. He readied the staff and waited.

DemonArchangel
08-13-2003, 01:58
*BUMP

thrawn
08-13-2003, 21:44
A blade whistled through the mist. Voltar barely caught it on his staff. The shade and the viking stood locked for a moment with the trembling blade of a sword inches from Voltars nose. Then with a slight twist Voltar knocked aside the swords and simultaneously launched a blow at the shadow's head. The staff sailed through nothing as the shadow danced backwards. The sword whistled again. Again Voltar turned it aside only this time he was nearly sliced by a second sword. Voltar swung wide and the staff was caught on both swords. Moving backwards now the viking struggled to knock aside all the blows. Both blades came in from above and Voltar blocked with his staff. A kick to the mid-section sent him sprawling backwards. A fistfull of sand was all the viking could grab as he tumbled over. The shade stepped over him and delivered another blow. This time the sword stuck in the staff. The other end of the oak cracked the shade neatly in the head. Voltar twisted up and tossed the sand at the shadow. A curse and several staff blows later the dark figure was unconscious. Voltar snatched up the blades. Simple short swords but certainly more useful than the overgrown stick he had just been using. The sun started to peak out and the viking could see he was in a small courtyard. The figure on the ground remained motionless but turned out to be a thickmuscled man in a dark tunic. A small trickle of blood tumbled from the man's forehead.

thrawn
08-14-2003, 19:51
Behind him he heard the squeak of iron hinges. A small door opened in southren corner of the yard and two very large men squeezed through it. They looked like mirror images. So much so that Voltar both crossed himself expecting one to disappear. Neither behemoth disappear. They drew longswords and moved about him to divide his attention. Neither wore shirts and their hard bodies were quite scarred. The both smiled at the same time. The viking growled. Just as they were opposite of each other with Voltar in between the viking struck. He charged at the man in front of him hoping to down him to even the odds. He caught a longsword swipe on his sword and cut forward but the large man was limber too and danced away. Hearing the other tramp up behind Voltar ducked instinctively and rolled to his right. The twin's blade flashed where the viking stood. Voltar rolled to his feet and held out his blades. Again the two circle. Again Voltar charged and was frustrated. The viking could feel that he was getting tired. The two men danced reversing direction. Again the charge, and the retreat. Each twin smiled. Again the charge. And again the retreat. Voltar could feel the sweat run down his back. His assailants reverse direction again. This time the viking stumbled to match. The man behind him charged in grinning. Voltar rolled backwards and came up inside the running man's reach. A flick of a shortsword caught the suprised attacker on the thigh. A second flick sent the man's sword tumbling. With practiced ease the viking whipped an elbow around and caught the swordless giant inbetween the eyes. The large man made a satisfying thud as he hit the sand. The last twin came forward cautiously. Voltar circled left and stumbled again. This time the man wasn't having any of it and so Voltar reversed to the left trying to get on his attacker's weak side. Both men were panting heavily.

thrawn
08-14-2003, 21:35
This time the big man went down in a stumble. Voltar jumped forward with a yell. The big man attempted the same roll trick Voltar had just used except the viking was ready for it. With an air of indifference Voltar simply kicked out and forward catching the attacker in the forehead with the heal of his foot. The big man sat stupidly in the dust and then flopped over backwards. Another satisfying thud. There were now three unconscious men laying in the courtyard a sweating standing viking.
Time to end this game.
Voltar grabbed the dark clothed man by the collar and haul him up to a vertical position. He hung like a wet rag in the viking's fist. Casually Voltar pinned the man against the courtyard wall and pulled back his sword to deliver a blow. No response. Damn.
With a snarl Voltar threw the limp body aside. Logran had called his bluff. He couldn't just kill a defenseless man. Voltar looked down and then smiled. A non-permanment injury might do the trick. The man was beginning to come to and screamed aloud when Voltar broke his little finger with a twist.
Still nothing. Another quick snap and a scream. He has eight more fingers Logran, then I move on to bigger bones Voltar called out and reached down to snap a third. Then Voltar froze as something whistled close to him. His eyes widened slightly as he peered at the arrow quivering in the ground less than a finger's breadth away from his right foot.
Enough. Logran appeared at the end of the courtyard. Let him go Voltar. The viking glared at Logran. Another arrow, this time near the left foot. Voltar felt like jumping but he held on hard and maintained his cool, and his grip on the man.
Let him go or do I need to convince you further? Logran's bushy eyebrows raised slightly. The next arrow will go between your eyes.
Reluctantly Voltar released the man, who scurried out of sight holding his crippled hand.
Well, I see you are a proficient fighter. But not a mindless killer. Fortunate for you, more fortunate I believe for your advesaries.
Voltar grunted. He wanted water.
Let me show you to your room. The general turned away.
The burly viking followed.
Rest was all Logran said, then he left.
Voltar peered about his small quarters and noticed the stack of equipment in the corner. Purple attire and some partially purple stained armor lay in a heap.
The wenches always said I look good in purple the viking thought sourly as he inspected his new wardrobe.

DemonArchangel
08-15-2003, 00:44
LOL no wonder Varangian guards are the best in the game.

thrawn
08-15-2003, 17:48
OOC: A brief hx info session about the Varangian Guard
and first a personal aside...
I had never heard of these soldiers...being primarily interested in different areas of hx. But after starting (but not finishing...i get bored...) a campaign with the Byzantine Empire and really kicking ass with these soldiers I found I really liked 'em. So here is some basic on the V. Guard.

Most Varangian Guards were Anglo-saxon or Viking/Russian Mercs. Physically they were taller, bigger, and paler than most of the subject in the Byzantine Empire at the time. The spoke Old Norse or Old English and most didn't understand a lick of Greek, making interpreters necessary in each unit of Guardsmen. They were 'christian' supposedly but many did not worship the white christ. Most wore a cross or a hammer of thor...depending on where they were in religious conversion. The Guardsmen typically retained their customs and this coupled with their strange appearance added to the legendary nature of the Guard from the common populace.
There is evidence that they were mounted infantry, usually riding horses to the battle and then dismounting to fight. During a campaign they camped right next to the Emperor's tent and set up their own tents, which were standard byz army issue. They slept around the middle pole of the tent facing outward so they could respond to an emergency. Most Varangians had standard issue chainmail, scalemail, or lamellar klibanion, with a basic shield of kite or circular design. Lamellar kilbanion was their favoured type of armor. Their calling cards were the massive two-handed Viking axes they carried. Most either had axes or spears, swords were reserved for officers and soldiers of wealth. Units had their own commanders (like General Logran) that answered to either the Akolouthos (the commander-in-chief of all Varangians) or the ranking Stratego (byz general) and ultimately the Emperor.
When arriving in Constantinople most potential V. Guard did not have much in the way of equipment (Voltar + ax and clothes is about all the typical hopeful would have). The rest of their equipment was supplied by the byz military. In Constantinople the V. Guard were stationed in several areas. The first is the Hodegon monastery, near the Mangana – a palace and arsenal at the northeastern end of the City. This was thought to be their HQ. Also units were stationed at the Boukoleon Palace, at the Brazen Gate near the Hippodrome, and at the Blachernae (Vlachernai) Palace at the northern end of the land walls. City Guardsmen saw far less battle action, but were more involved in the political intrigues of the City. Guardsmen were politically and religiously and ethnically unattached and made a perfect strong arm force for the Emperor that couldn't be swayed by these factors. They held a strong Western sense of succession of power in the King/Emperor and remain faithful to the Emperor in the majority of circumstances (except for Micheal V in 1042..but that is a whole other story...). After 1204 and the 4th Crusade the Varangian guard became a ceremonial entity having lost much of its strength and power.

well thats a bit of history, and there is much more. Several things I have posted are open for debate since history is a largely interpretable thing and opinions do differ, but this is the information that I have/will be going off of. If anyone would like to update/inform/debate/question/ask me about anything concerning V. Guards dont hesitate to ask. I am not an expert, but I do/am doing lots of reading and research on them. So drop me a line at my email address or post something here OOC if you like. Hope that was informative at least.

Now back to Voltar and his semi-purple armor...

thrawn
08-15-2003, 20:36
General Logran barged back into the room about two hours later. Voltar looked up from his armor.
Get dressed
The viking reached for his armor.
Just tunic and pants
Flexing his outstretched fingers with irritation Voltar donned the plain clothes, shedding his old worn garments.
Come with me
Voltar followed the big General out of the small room. They moved a short distance through the barracks coming to another cramped area. A desk and two chairs sat in the middle of the room. The surface of the desk was littered with parchments strewn about. A small candle burned near the end of the table and a semi-solid stream of yellow wax puddled unceramoniously on the floor.
Sit
The viking sat heavily in the oak chair. Logran took a seat opposite of him.
You are not a spy.
Voltar laughed.
You are not an agent of the Pope.
Voltar scowled. No
Are you religious?
The viking grabbed a handfull of coppers lying on the table and spilled them back. Coin. No gods
The General smiled. He reached into his desk and pulled out a bag the size of a grapefruit and placed on top of the papers. Then he pulled out a cross and laid it next to the bag. Voltar frowned.
Why the cross.
Because of the gold Logran shook the bag. I want you to wear it. The viking crossed his arms.
Why
Logran smiled. Just wear it Voltar
Shrugging he slipped the pewter necklace over his head and snatched the bag.
Is that it? Voltar asked.
Logran nodded. Get some sleep, we move you tomorrow to your new home.
Voltar rose to leave.
Present yourself in full armor tomorrow.
He peered at Logran and raised an eyebrow.
One always must look one's best when one meets the Emperor.
Voltar's eyes widened.
Logran simply grinned.

DemonArchangel
08-16-2003, 15:00
ooc; hey thrawn, answer my question about the manhood formula. That way, the emperor won't be stuck in limbo in the imperial gardens when the varangian comes to meet him.

thrawn
08-20-2003, 00:02
OOC: Sorry DemonArchangel, I'll get right on it. Also as another aside I just read 'the Crusader' by Micheal Alexander Eisner. It is the account of Francisco Montcada (a son of the most powerful vassal to King Jaime) He takes up the cross and is present at the battle of torron and at the fall of the Krak de Chevalliers to the infedels. It is interesting reading, especially on how influential the catholic church is an how the bible is twisted to serve those who 'serve' it. Very good reading.
Anyways...back to the manhood formula etc etc etc.

DemonArchangel
08-24-2003, 22:10
Ooc; THRAWN http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif