PDA

View Full Version : Ello :-D New poster \'ere

Voltage2Discharge
12-09-2001, 01:23
Hi peeps :-D Got The Warlords Edition of this brilliant game a few days ago, truly fantastic, can't think of a single fault tbh- if any of the games makers read this. well done guys, this is by far the best rts I have ever played.
Anyway, I have decided not to download the patch, as the game seems fine as it is tbh, but what do you guys think? Worth the dl? Also, although i'm not sure about the whole online aspect yet, I just wondered if there are any things that are considered lame and won't make me many friends http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif. Anyway, just thought i'd say hi.

P.S. Is it just be or are the Geishas scary :-o :-D

------------------
I ride, and the horde follows.

solypsist
12-09-2001, 02:08
i recommend the patch. you'll have a tough time playing online without it, and if you learn to play without the patch and then decide to get it, you'll find your system of combat/strategy not as successful.

MIZILUS
12-09-2001, 02:09
Geishas are the epitome of evil! I wish you could turn em off so you wouldn't have too bother with chasing them all over hell and back while running like a wuss with your good gens.

Other than that just be polite and honorable and you wont have any trouble with this lot. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Voltage2Discharge
12-09-2001, 02:12
Oh yes, btw, I seem to be completely hopeless with musketmen. I take it arqs are weaker, so god knows how i'd work with them.
It came up because i'm stuck on the third map of that oda nobunage (not sure if thats the right name) historical campaign, where you have to survive a massive Takeda clan style cavalry charge- any ideas?

------------------

Voltage2Discharge
12-09-2001, 04:35
Oh, and another thing- say for instand I build a kensai in a province near the start of the game. He starts of with no added bonuses. Then later on I build a legendary swordsmith- how could I give him the weapon bonus? And sometimes when I click on units it has a 'price of retraining'- how do I retrain units? Thanks.

------------------

NARF
12-09-2001, 05:15
oooh Nick has an idea...........BATTLEFIELD GEISHA!!!!!!!!

Zone
12-09-2001, 06:07
LOL http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

Retraining, I remember this was the first question I asked and it's already irritating me how many people ask but since I was once in the same situatuion and everyone was so kind:

Firstly, if you want to bring the number of a unit back to full stregnth you must do the following in a province with the relevant Dojo. However, If it's something like a Kensi I don't think yu need the dojo, just the requred upgrades - someone confirm this possibly.

Here goes:

1 - select the province in which the unit is (having moved it into a province with the upgrades etc.).
2 - Select training (the button where you chose what to build).
3 - Select the unit to be retrained.
4 - drag and drop the icon of the unit (in the menu bar thing) into the first free slot in the training menu

The unit should then pop up in the castle with upgrades and full numbers if the relevant dojo is present the next season if there are no previous orders.

Good luck http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Fight first, then scream 'Doh, why did I forget my Kensi!'

Gothmog
12-09-2001, 07:58
Geishas are fun. Especially AI's Geishas.

Just mass produce your own Geishas to neutralize them. Or train as many high level ninjas as possible(If you have Geisha house, it takes the same time to produce eight honor 2 ninjas as to produce one single Geisha).

I only use my Geishas for two purposes: 1) counter AI's Geisha
2)Kill those pesty embassies and/or priests to prevent potential port invasion.

[This message has been edited by Gothmog (edited 12-09-2001).]

Voltage2Discharge
12-09-2001, 19:03
And they will still have indentical honour, just + any bonuses from upgrading dojos? I mean say I had a honour 7 ninja, then built a Geisha house, and retrained that ninja, would he then have 9 honour? Just curious, cos if so then my armies are gonna be a hell of a lot 'arder.

------------------

JAG
12-09-2001, 21:59
get the patch it is worth it! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Sarcasm . . . . . Never!

WarlordWarrior

BakaGaijin
12-10-2001, 01:00
V2D: The whole retraining thing is still mysterious to most of us. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif However, I know for a fact that strategic map units (e.g., Ninjas) can't be retrained and that retraining will never give a unit more honour than the value of the bonus in that province. For example, say I have an honour 1 unit of Yari Samurai, and I send it to a province with a Legendary Spear Dojo to retrain. It will come out with honour 2. However, if I send a battle-hardened unit with 3 honour to the same province and retrain it, it will still have honour 3. The same thing happens for armour and weapon upgrades.

------------------
Disappear into the Darkness!!

Zone
12-10-2001, 01:51
Quote Originally posted by Voltage2Discharge:
And they will still have indentical honour, just + any bonuses from upgrading dojos? I mean say I had a honour 7 ninja, then built a Geisha house, and retrained that ninja, would he then have 9 honour? Just curious, cos if so then my armies are gonna be a hell of a lot 'arder.

[/QUOTE]

Fraid not. It can only boost the level up to the amount it usually would so if you had a legendary spear dojo and some H1 Ashigaru, they whould come out as H2, not H3.

------------------

Voltage2Discharge
12-10-2001, 03:14
Are Ashigaru ne good then? I've always dismissed them tbh, and used massive armies of other things. Oh and btw, even though recently i've been keeping my daimyo and heirs in a citadel the whole game, only the first daimyo seems to make heirs- the rest seem infertile :P Do they stop making children after a certain date? And what sort of weather effects what sort of unit? Sorry to keep asking questions but if I can get answers for even a few tis worth a try ;D

------------------

Chiyonofuji
12-10-2001, 21:01
How about battlefield Geisha's in the next patch!!

------------------
I wouldn't join any club that would have ME as a member!.

Zone
12-11-2001, 05:51
Some people have found ashi's usefull in certain cercumstaces, i.e. with a high honour general and built with a drill dojo, they're usefull for soaking up arrows but other than that... High armour and weapon upgrades can make them useful against cavalry but... Not really.

As for heirs... It seems (from my reading of other posts) that these are set events that cannot be changed. Supposedly from actuall times, or something.

Weather? Heavy rain and snow make archers and arq's ineffective and wind I think diminishes their accuracy. Cold conditions (i.e. winter) affects fatigue, even standing still in snow a unit will become tired.

Terrain also affects units, cav. are useless in woods and archers etc. cannot fire into or out of woods with great success. If defending have them on the edge of the wood.

Any more questions?

Oh, and feel free to put me right if anything is complete rubbish http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Voltage2Discharge
12-12-2001, 05:02
Thanks for all the help m8, nice to see some real community spirit http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif
Anyway, as for more questions..... does anyone have a key to how many battles a general has to win before he goes up each rank? Does a generals honour rank allow a unit to pass honour 9?
Oh and another Q- how do you access all the attack/armour/bonus stats for each unit and weapon upgrade ect? In age of empires 2, a kinda similarish game, knowing all the unit stats was a God send- if I could find them out here twould be useful.
Ta.

------------------

Zone
12-12-2001, 05:28
I'm not sure where to find the stats, I'm not a mad mod editor but they're there somewhere.

As for Honour gain, 1 win = 1st rank, 2 win = 2nd rank, 4, 8, 16, 32 etc. He'd have to win alot of battles to get >9. It is possible to get honour that high but I dunno about Rank, I think you're hiers etc. would probably die before you've had enough battles for that (256 battles). I've had an army of 10 Kensi's or so for clearing castles. The general was rank 6 and Honour 10 but that's not quite the same.

------------------
ROFL..Zone does not rest [MIZILUS]