PDA

View Full Version : numerically superior army

Oaty
08-20-2003, 03:19
I was wondering what other people think of the idea of the numerically superior forces being allowed more men on the battlefield. The reason I say this playing as the Almahods and taking in 4000 troops against 1000 byzantines can be very difficult since the byzantines teched up really big by the time I met them. When I fought the battle it was a bloddy mess and I had to bring in almost all of the 4000 men to defeat them.(for a while I though the battle was lost since the Byzantines just camped right at the edge where my men come on) I could have easily had this victory with less units if I had been able get them in formation and at least onto the map where they could fight. This would also give the A.I a boost also as most of the time and as I have read from others that there original 16 units just whomps the crap out of the A.I.'s butt when they are numeically superior.

Since it looks like RTW will allow 20 units by each faction on the battlefield. What I think would be a good idea is that the numerically inferior force always at least gets 10 units on the board as long as the opponent has 20 units on the map from the start no matter how many troops they have so there can at least be a little bit of variety on the field. So heres my idea lets just say there is 4000 men against 2000 so the 1 army that has 50 percent less men. Take that 50 percent and divide it in half wich is 25 percent then add that 25 percent to that 50 and you get 75 percent. So a percentage of 75 percent gets you 15 units against there 20 from the start. This will give the one army numerically superior forces from the start instead of having to slug it out 20 against 20 making it a little more balanced.

So what ideas do you have and what do you think

Shaitan
08-20-2003, 07:05
Good idea. I always felt that is unrealistic to beat an army of 8000 and more with my 1000 men of on full stack. If the could field more men at once the could have a chance despite the lack of quality.
But I remember reading something about if you are bringing in a very big army the AI will control a part of your army (in RTW). So is their still a limit how many men are allowed at one time on the battlefield?

A.Saturnus
08-20-2003, 12:30
Yes I remember to have read something that you can bring in more than 20 units. They just won`t be under your control.
BTW, if you have problems with the enemy camping at your entrance to the map, just place the assembly flag somewhere far away and your reinforcements will appear at a different place.

el_slapper
08-20-2003, 13:51
In fact, at the end of campaigns, it went really profitable to autosim the bigger battles(as long as you were the bigger fish) than to fight them. Not cool.

Sir Robin
08-20-2003, 21:59
I agree that it would be better to have more troops on the field. It would allow numerically superior forces to "drown" numerically inferior forces.

I imagine this limit is there for some reason however. Maybe it is control, gameplay, or AI limitations.

Still it would be nice to face a horde at once instead of manageable packets.

Oaty
08-21-2003, 00:36
Well maybe my original thought was a bit of an overkill but having 20 against 18 wouldn't be overkill but would give the numerically superior a bit of an advantage without killing the scheme of things

Big King Sanctaphrax
08-21-2003, 00:40
How about a morale hit for troops if the total enemy army (not just the stuff on the field) outnumbers them?

Oaty
08-21-2003, 22:40
Quote[/b] ]How about a morale hit for troops if the total enemy army (not just the stuff on the field) outnumbers them?

Well that is already in the game to a degree. When the opponent is near multiple troops and not very many friendlies around

Cobra
08-22-2003, 01:58
Yes, when they come at me one by one (usually when reinforcements come) they'll see my block of troops, and then run off.

PC reinforcements need to come in more organized, they're too easy to defeat, they show up all over one by one, andcome and just run.

Hakonarson
08-22-2003, 04:56
I like the idea as presented - it would make for a much better feel to the games I think

Nowake
08-22-2003, 11:21
The ideea is good, but our last stands are seriously to be reconsidered then http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif Anyway, I back it up all the way

Jacque Schtrapp
08-26-2003, 17:29
Quote[/b] (A.Saturnus @ Aug. 20 2003,06:30)]BTW, if you have problems with the enemy camping at your entrance to the map, just place the assembly flag somewhere far away and your reinforcements will appear at a different place.
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/idea.gif

Oaty
08-26-2003, 22:12
Quote[/b] ]BTW, if you have problems with the enemy camping at your entrance to the map, just place the assembly flag somewhere far away and your reinforcements will appear at a different place.

What if all you reinforcements come from the corner and no matter where you put that flag reinforcements start from the corner.

That was my problem normally I can get reinforcements on in a good position. But when your army is routed in a singular line from being outflanked on both sides. I do know if you have a unit nearby I can bring on reenforcements near there, of course I learned that you can let your whole army rout off and once they do the comp puts reenforcements in mass at 1 time wich is what I have learned to do when my army is mass routed