PDA

View Full Version : sync firing! ouch

Lazul
09-10-2003, 16:39
There are 2 main things that bother me in the TW games... and accualy i think the first one Shogun handled it best.
It is sync firing and that archers have to stand still... now as i understand the "moving and firing" is fixed in Rtw, i hope.
But what i dont like is that archers have to fire at the same time as theere friends. So lets say cavalry archers starts to attack your rear and do not engage in melee, then your archers should be able to spread out and "SNIPE" the horsearchers.

Understand? i hope so... they could call it "FREE FIRING"
that is something i always hoped for

And one last thing... when firing, the archers should understand that the target is MOVING... its anoying when about 100 longbowmen hurl arrows over knights but ALLWAYS overshoots http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

The_Emperor
09-10-2003, 21:33
Historically units of archers often shot their arrows in volleys to maximize the effect, the reason is simply because bows are not that accurate... and a lot of shots will miss, so they make up with this by shooting in volleys and showering the enemy with arrows, it makes it a lot more likely to do damage.

Knight_Yellow
09-10-2003, 22:37
yeah but it sucks when like 1 guy gets into hand to hand and every single archer in his unit cannot shoot anymore.

the guys at the back should be firing into the enemy not just waiting for them to crush the first couple of lines.

desdichado
09-11-2003, 07:34
KY,

I thought they could. I have seen missile units in melee with the reloading, aiming message so I assumed the guys not involved in fighting were still firing at something (if it was me the target would be the angry looking guy with a sword beating up on my mates).

Oaty
09-16-2003, 03:44
If you put your archers in hold formation only the ones with an immediate melee threat will engage while all the others keep firing. If you put them at engage at will they will fire volleys until 1 single man is forced to pull out his sword and they will all target that unit with whatever melee wepon they have. Skirmish is a bit obvious and occasionally they will hold there ground if a few guys break through but the rest keep firing. 1 key note if any skirmishing unit is impetuous they will more than likely not skirmish for a while (but this is rare for most archers at least in my games), Typically they will skirmish to a hill and when the enemy gets closer to them because they are slowed down from the hill they will turn around and charge.