PDA

View Full Version : RTW: Army Compositions

DemonArchangel
10-06-2003, 21:32
Alright, you are a leader of some sort in the RTW era for any faction shown on the RTW map. And your job is to rework and reequip your nation's military entirely. How would you go about doing it?

I'm gonna do the Romans:

Troop Types:

Warband:
Warband: Basically, criminals and wretches. They're trained to be catapult and arrow fodder and also to charge into the enemy ranks and fight to the death. They're armed and armored with anything they can find. And the survivors of a battle are promoted to full legionaries if found loyal, according to their abilities. They're prevented from running away by the threat of death by torture.

Professonial Warband:Made up of the REALLY f*cking crazies of society. Rush completely naked into battle wielding anything they can find (usually axes or metal pipes). Will not rout cuz they're f*cking crazy. The ones that actually survive battle become praetorians immediately.

Dimacherii Gladiators: Wields two swords, eschews armor, thinks he's invincible. Scary crap.

Archers And Skirmishers

Legionary Light Archers: Lightly mailed, armed with spathion for personal defense, no shield, and a composite bow.
Legionary Medium Archers: Have circular shields, Lorica Hamata, has a spathion for personal defense. Oh yea, and they have a composite bow.
Legionary Heavy Archers: Doubled mail tunic and greaves. Armed with a spathion, large square scutum/pavaise and a composite bow.
Legionary Skirmishers: Armed with slings and plumbata. Used for making the enemy lose cohesion before the legionaries move in. Lightly armored and swift of foot. Has gladius for self defense.
Legionary Heavy Skirmishers: Throws light pilums, has light mail armor and light oval scutum for fast running. Armed with either a gladius or spathia for self defense.

Infantry

Hastata: Has large square scutum and a thrusting pilum 3 meters in length, walks in a rectlinear formation with shields locked together to defend archers against cavalry. Also armed with a backup spathia and a light pilum.

Principe: Gladius AND spathia. Protected by Lorica Segementata, has a square scutum. Also has in possession 1 light pilum and one heavy pilum.

Triarii: Has square scutum, and 4m long thrusting spear. Wears lorica segementata over mail tunic and has greaves. Also has backup spathion.

Praetorian Heavy Assault Infantry: The REAL badass motherf**kers. These hardcore motherf**kers can tear apart ANYTHING, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE. Well, ok now that i'm done lauding the praises of the Praetorians, i'll tell you a little bit about them. They wear a lorica segmentata over a mail tunic, fringed galera arm guards and wield a spiked square scutum and a spathia, or they wield an oval scutum and a 6 foot long man cleaving axe (note:Varangian STYLEZ&#33http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
Also they're completely fearless and are dedicated, disciplined and ruthlessly efficient killers.

Praetorian bodyguards: These guys are also REAL BADASS MOTHERF**KERS. Except their job is to form the personal retinue of the commander of an army. They're armored with lorica hamata but they're armed with a 72 inch long 2 handed sword instead of bearing a shield. They'll fight to the death to protect who they're assigned to protect and they do their job well.

Militia:

Town Watch: Like a Legionary Principe, except less experienced. Useful at times.

Emergency Levy: Armed like the warband, but much more cowardly. Like MTW peasants, except slightly weaker. Used only in DIRE emergencies.

Cavalry:

Roman Light Cavalry: Armed with a composite bow and spathia. No shield or armor, but very swift afoot.

Roman Medium Cavalry: Has a light mail shirt, a composite bow, a sword and an oval scutum.

Roman Heavy Cavalry: Has an oval scutum and spathia. Wears a lorica segmentata. Has some horse armor.

Roman Cataphract: Heavily armored man and horse. Man has lance and heavy oval scutum + a sword.

Navy: Basically sails/oars mix. Has reliable transports for sea attacks.

EDIT; I edited out some improbabilites

Kraxis
10-06-2003, 22:22
Not really joining in here, just pointing a few things out.

It wold be nigh impossible to use a composite bow and lorica segmentata AND a scutum. You can't draw the bow across the armour and the shield is just in the way whereever you put it.

Lorica segmentata and lorica hamata on the same man would make him impossibly weighted down. 13 kgs of mail and 9 kgs of segmentata... And greaves too? Effect would be a soldier that could be toppled easily or worn down in melee.

Twohanded swords didn't exist in that timeperiod as far as I know. But in any case, using a twohanded sword and wearing a lorica semantata would not be very effective. Can't swing easily across the chest.

DemonArchangel
10-06-2003, 22:32
They can strap it to their forearms trebizond archer style. Also, the heavy archers can stick the shield into the ground and fire from behind it.

Also, the Praetorian bodyguards can twist their torsos to complete the swing of their sword. Also, the shoulder pieces of the Lorica Segmentata have been removed for added flexibility.

Oaty
10-07-2003, 04:35
Quote[/b] ]They can strap it to their forearms trebizond archer style. Also, the heavy archers can stick the shield into the ground and fire from behind it.

I think the point is that the trebazoid archers shield was verylight (maybe 5 pounds I guess) and probably not much more than a foot in diameter wich would hinder the archer very little where as a Scutum is maybe 25 pounds and almost as tall as the archer himself hindering the archer greatly

Vanya
10-07-2003, 16:25
GAH

Scutum: roman "big" shield.

Vanya now enlighten youz...

Vanya sez... The SCROTUM is fleshy shield that protects nuts. Same as the SCUTUM protected the Romans. In fact, the name for the ball sack was derived from the name for the Roman shield

Now, go forth and spread the word, and boost the knowledge of your offspring by revealing to them this Great Truth. Do so, and their intellect shall be blessed with fecundity.

GAH

DemonArchangel
10-09-2003, 20:58
*BUMP POST

DemonArchangel
10-22-2003, 00:21
BUMP JEEZ, SOMEONE ELSE POST

ShadesPanther
10-22-2003, 16:53
eh?

ShadesPanther
10-22-2003, 16:54
eh?

The Wizard
10-22-2003, 17:07
I'd just armor barbarians... and make knights out of 'em IMAGINE A CHOSEN AXEMAN IN CHAIN MAIL http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

The Wizard
10-22-2003, 17:08
I'd just armor barbarians... and make knights out of 'em IMAGINE A CHOSEN AXEMAN IN CHAIN MAIL http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Mega Dux Bob
10-22-2003, 18:41
Ya' some chosen axemen, some war dogs, some of those rangers,er, "gallic foresters" a buch of war chariots maybe add a unit of trouserless nubian spearmen to put the fear of the gods into the Legonaries and two guys with spears to keep it authentic. With that mix, you my friend are going to Rome. Barbarians would kick bottom with that http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif