PDA

View Full Version : Peasant levies

spmetla
10-09-2003, 19:30
Erasing the past...

Foreign Devil
10-11-2003, 20:57
I like this idea- it makes the game more realistic, and its workable from a gameplay standpoint.

Maybe have say, a certain number of urban milita(or RTW equivalent) show up for a battle near a city depending on how big the city is. And if the city has certain upgrades, you could get milita seargents instead of urban militia. For battles not near any major cities, you'd get regular peasants from nearby farmlands.

Not sure if it would be very usefull to have a bunch of peasants show up for every battle, but it would be a very cool way of doing things.

Scipio
10-11-2003, 23:35
You should be able to this even on campaign Like hire quick legions that are not so well trained like during the 2nd punic war the romans raised the single biggest force for a long time and would keep making new raw legions every year after thery had a defeat otherwise they would have been defeated

spmetla
10-12-2003, 08:30
Erasing the past...

Oaty
10-13-2003, 03:47
Quote[/b] ]Also if this were the way you had access to peasant units than you wouldn't have the computer constantly building those damn peasants.

Well with all the complaints on this from MTW, I have a very good feeling they do'nt wanna lose face and the A.I. will do a much better job on selecting units.

Parmenio
10-17-2003, 00:48
You don't really get peasants in the roman era. It was a different social model to feudalism.

Kraxis
10-17-2003, 01:55
Quote[/b] (oaty @ Oct. 12 2003,21:47)]Well with all the complaints on this from MTW, I have a very good feeling they do'nt wanna lose face and the A.I. will do a much better job on selecting units.
Well, I'm pretty sure you are right. Just look at what we have been informed of in the Guards thread.

Quote[/b] ]Yes, there is a Numidian faction, which has a deplorable tendency to take over north Africa in a very unhistorical fashion with the AI and starting positions the way they are now. Of course it doesn't help that the historical event which gives them access to legionary units is not yet implemented and so they start of with quite a lot of kick-ass troops, but hey, these are the kinds of things you run into during development.

So the Numidians in the current state of AI is already training high quality units. Much unlike the MTW AI. And they have plans of making it even better... Yup, it looks promising.

spmetla
10-18-2003, 21:06
Erasing the past...

Herodotus
10-20-2003, 15:50
Not a bad idea at all. Other factors could also be taken into account, like the state of your farm lands which would influence the number and morale of peasants available. You could also build urban militia buildings etc. to improve your peasants training and weaponry. An upkeep cost would probably be appropriate.

bighairyman
10-21-2003, 03:36
well i like the idea of "milita peasants". but i still think u can build peasants as cannon folder

Vanya
10-21-2003, 15:57
GAH

Vanya sez... Romans used slaves. Vanya sez... slaves might be the "new peasant".

Vanya sez... there are birds known as "pheasants". Which sound much like "peasants". Thus, one MUST be related to the other. Everybody knows that Man is a late arrival on the grand scene of life. So, first came the pheasant. Nobles then noticed they liked to eat the birds. And they like to slaughter their peasants just the same. And when they ate their peasants, the nobles exclaimed "Taste's like chicken". And chicken and pheasant taste the same. Thus, peasants taste like chicken too, or like pheasant Therefore, peasant = pheasant. Serf = poultry The nobles thus discovered they have an ample food supply if they can keep large numbers of serfs slaving for them.

And there you have it. Go forth now and feed your intellect by roasting your neighbor and consuming his flesh. BBQ sauce a must if you be in Texas, boy

----------------------------------

On a side note, Vanya sez... anybody watch The Practice this last weekend? It featured a case where the defendant CUT OFF THE HEAD OF HIS MOTHER, and had it STUFFED and HUNG IT ON THE WALL Of course, the doofus forgot to SHRINK it, but 3 out of 4 ain't bad

Vanya sez... the word is getting out CUT HEADS OFF

GAH

The Wizard
10-21-2003, 16:01
If slaves are peasants, then Spartacus won't have much of an army to fight with... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Also this "Country Militia" unit on the unit description page on .com seems to fit quite well into the Peasants/Urban Militia section... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif

Parmenio
10-22-2003, 02:41
Quote[/b] ]
I don't just mean peasants. I mean any units that aren't really warriors. Like the Gallic Foresters should be chopping wood when their not defending their homes. The dog keepers should be using them for hunting when not loosing them on Roman Formations. You know, units like that.

I just want their to be a milita force that you can rally in your defence. Maybe a panel or somthing that tells you what militia units you can expect to join you in defensive battle so that you can plan ahead.

Well this is the thing. In the barbarian cultures pretty much every male of suitable age was a Warrior. In the Greek city states, the urban miltia were Hoplites. In Rome the legionaries were the citizen soldiers.

You do get slaves on the battlefield on occassion but they're generally trained slaves with a specfic role and probable battlefield experience. The nearest thing in Roman times to green untrained peasants I suppose are the Jewish revolutionaries but even they're more like fanatic guerillas rather than peasants.

spmetla
10-22-2003, 03:53
Erasing the past...

Kraxis
10-22-2003, 16:46
Quote[/b] (Parmenio @ Oct. 21 2003,20:41)]In Rome the legionaries were the citizen soldiers.
Yes, but they still needed a lot of training, they couldn't just levy 10 legions if the city was threatened. Remember how scared they were of Hannibal?

The Wizard
10-22-2003, 19:30
Republic soldiers were indeed levies...

However the true legionaries that came with Marius were not levies but men that enlisted into the army, went through a grueling training, and were far more accustomed to the rigors of campaigning than the old Republican legionaries, who thought only of getting back to their farmlands and thus were more poorly motivated, the farther they got from home.

spmetla
10-22-2003, 20:39
Erasing the past...

hellenes
10-23-2003, 01:45
What about the spartan citizens? You can consider them "peasants" as long as the majority werent nobles...But you cannot compare any other city state's (including rome at an earlier stage)citizens to spartan citizens cause simply sparta didnt have "ordinary" citizens they all were soldiers...

spmetla
10-23-2003, 03:40
Erasing the past...

The Wizard
10-23-2003, 09:12
Quote[/b] (spmetla @ Oct. 22 2003,14:39)]Yeah, the legionaries were definately part of a permanent state army. Instead of legionaries assisting in the defense of a city how about veteren retired legionaries? I know that the Empire set them up in militia communities on frontiers to help protect settlements, I'm assuming the Republic did something along those lines as well.
Your idea has been implemented into the game in the form of an early Republican soldier... see the unit description page http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif