PDA

View Full Version : Hybrids

BRCN
11-12-2003, 16:45
This should be in the dungeon, but since i cant post there i will seek help here:

As everybody knows, AI is no good at using the hybrid units. For example, take the Janissary Archers -all stats are from the MEDMOD-. They have very good stats in MEDMOD, 4 attack and defense. Even when you attack them with medicore cavalry they turn their backs and try to run away from them. As its impossible for them to overrun the cavalry they get caught with their backs looking at the cavalry, get slaughtered. A human player, instead, will charge them into battle in that situation.
Now, when i examine the unit file with gnome editor, in 18th column i see expressions like attacker, ambush, missile etc. Is that the part that makes AI decide about whether make the unit attack or run away in a similar situation that i mentioned above? If that is, will it help the AI if i remove the missile expression from there for hybrids?

By the way, i am wondering about what all those expressions mean, but i guess that is another question http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Lord Of Storms
11-12-2003, 20:03
Greetings BRCN, I know what you mean, I have come across similiar situations in unit and formation balancing for our Napoleonic mod,had to tweak the unit prod and formations files to come up with a good balance so that the infantry units would not turn tale and run in the face of a Cavalry charge, and we have achieved the desired result, with a combination of settings. the column you mentioned is the unit class column, which describes the attributes of the given unit, experimenting with these settings can change the units behavior somewhat, for our Nap infantry we use only DEFENDER_MISSILE which seems to work well for them combined with a cav defense bonus of 1, I dont think removing the Missile will give you what you want, the default to skirmish has been a problem but can be remedided somewhat by tweaking the stats, each unit has different charcteristics so its good to experiment, I would suggest you get the CA Prodcution file spreadsheets that list all the available unit classes and other helpful info on the prod files, you can find them on the downloads page hope that helps...LOS

BRCN
11-12-2003, 22:08
Thanks Lord, well i guess this problem is bigger than i can handle http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif I guess i d better wait for the more talented do it for us.