PDA

View Full Version : Adhesive Cavalry

Taillefer
11-18-2003, 12:53
Hi. First posting, so may be off target here - but it seems that post the anti-swipe mod.,
my non- HA cavalry are reluctant to break away from engagement when instructed.

On occasion, I like to make light contact and disengage, but a few of my guys now
seem to be so ' stuck-in' that they prevent the rest from disengaging.

OK - I have tried:- 1.double clicking away, or 2. withdraw and halt (?) or 3. ' halt'
and re-order, with varying degrees of success. (Hit and miss) - or rather hit and stick

At Hastings, William The Conq's cav. entrapped some of Harold's infantry boys on several
occasions, by disengaging in apparent rout and tempting them to pursue from their higher
ground positions. One of the major contributing factors to his victory ?

I find this technique difficult/impossible to perform. A non-contact feint away,
would not be bought by you would it

Has anyone any solutions ?

Taillefer.

BRCN
11-18-2003, 13:37
The cavalry would best recharge when the enemy is busy with another unit. Move a 2nd unit into combat, then you can take your cav away without any or very few losses. Otherwise they wont either listen to your commands, or lose many men when they turn their backs to the enemy.

Gregoshi
11-18-2003, 17:08
Welcome to the Entrance Hall Taillefer. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

I too have wondered about that adhesive cavalry (I love that term). It sure is frustrating especially when you see the AI doing what you can't seem to do yourself. Maybe BRCN is on to the secret. Thanks for the tip. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/pat.gif

Taillefer
11-18-2003, 17:39
Thanks for the welcome Gregoshi and BRCN for your tip -
I'll give it a whirl.

Just thought it a bit 'tacky' that my lads were getting
'stuck-up'. They will have to 'stick' closer to their
team-mates - I'll glue my eyes on them and give them a good
'pasting' if they continue to be 'clingy'

To further bonding - for Evo

Taillefer.

Gregoshi
11-18-2003, 17:49
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

Careful Taillefer. People are going to think you and I are related if you keep that up.

The_Emperor
11-18-2003, 19:03
I have found the best way to withdraw your cavalry out of a Stick like that is to issue the Withdraw command (Ctrl and W) and then when they get out of range of the enemy cancel the order (Backspace key), or give them a new one.

It tends to work wonders

I hope this helps http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Lord Rom
11-19-2003, 05:14
Yes, the control w is the best way to go. The longer they stay engaged the harder it is to disengage. So timing is very important. You can see the enemy getting pushed back from your charge, try to get out while thats going on. And dont forget to double click where ya want them to go, or they will eventually leave the map

Major^3
11-19-2003, 14:06
somewhat in line with that...

is there a way to prevent the unit from trying to regroup before they withdraw? it happens alot to me and tends to slow down the process and my cav get mowed down

Taillefer
11-19-2003, 14:06
Thanks Emperor and Rom - your suggestion is a winner

Unit type, formation, morale angle of engagement and timing of are all relevant too.
Had degrees of success, but YES success.

I had tried various keyboard combos and on revisiting the MTW manual found :-

a .' ctrl + W keys to make it break off from a fight and move away from the enemy.
You may need to issue a halt command later.....' (sic)

b. 'You can also break off combat by double-clicking a safe destination
for a unit away from the fight.'

' You can also break off..' implies an alternative.
(Neither does the business) They should add- c. Try a + b

Again, thanks - a generosity of spirit is a Knightly virtue.

Taillefer.

Evil SPoon
11-19-2003, 14:33
Hmmm Interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong but It seems like withdrawling units automaticly try to move to the rear of your position. (as in the edge of the map your army is facing away from at the begining of the battle) so there for withdrawing Cavalry that has manuvered behind a enemy unit will try to withdraw through the forementioned unit, witch is a hinderance in the cav envelopment tactics and the like

Taillefer
11-20-2003, 06:43
Evil Spoon.

Yes this seems only to happen when proximity to the game map boundary causes a bounce back - frustrating
on occasions, but an unavoidable feature of game design within the limitations of the software.

Hey, the extent of the new possibilities opened-up by being able to implement the tactical withdrawal have
got me salivating.

Taillefer.

The_Emperor
11-20-2003, 17:16
Quote[/b] (Evil SPoon @ Nov. 19 2003,13:33)]Hmmm Interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong but It seems like withdrawling units automaticly try to move to the rear of your position. (as in the edge of the map your army is facing away from at the begining of the battle) so there for withdrawing Cavalry that has manuvered behind a enemy unit will try to withdraw through the forementioned unit, witch is a hinderance in the cav envelopment tactics and the like
I agree I have found this a problem as well, but if you have engaged the enemy from the front as well as the rear they should be easier to withdraw using conventional orders.

But yeah I do find the inability of Cavalry to move away as it should annoying (maybe thats why I tend to have infantry heavy armies with smaller numbers of cavalry).

Hopefully Rome Total War will not have this trouble.

Jacque Schtrapp
11-20-2003, 17:20
I believe it also helps to take your cavalry off engage at will when you are attempting to withdraw them from combat. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Puzz3D
11-20-2003, 17:28
With cav I use double click right after contact to disengage, as Lord Rom suggests, which will get you some charge kills and avoid becoming emeshed in melee. If the cav is impetuous, it doesn't always obey a click command and you might have to issue it more than once.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the rout command. If desperate, you can use it to disengage quickly and then rally, although, you can suffer significant casualties with it depending on how emeshed the unit is. One advantage is that the unit doesn't try to reform when it routs as it does with the double click or withdraw commands.

Taillefer
11-20-2003, 19:38
Thanks for the info Puzz 3D.

As Major^3 said the 'reformation' is a bind, giving higher losses.
I noticed today that a further destination click (impatient)after giving the Ctl + W, then dbl click,
resulted in the dreaded reform.

Observed varying results, of course with, various formations, angles,morale 'imbalances' But the line was
'safer' unsticking.

Taillefer.

The Phantom Knight.