PDA

View Full Version : Deployment Zones in RTW

Balamir
12-17-2003, 17:29
We have been having some discussions about making the deployment zones diverse and variable in this thread (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=18;t=13524) Please read it and add your vote and/or opinion. We want all the attention and support we can get if we want CA to work on this http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Monk
12-18-2003, 01:04
Kongamato has an exelent idea that i agree fully with. also Orda Khan had it right when he said,
Quote[/b] ]We need three areas....

Attackers area
No man's land
Defenders area

i agree absolutely

Big King Sanctaphrax
12-18-2003, 01:28
How about...each side selects where it would like to deploy, as suggested in the topic. But then, the zones are moved around by varying degrees, according to some kind of randomising thingy built into RTW. Occasionaly they'd stay where they were, most of the time they'd get moved around just enough to add flavour, and very rarely they move by a very large amount, or even get swapped around What do you think?

Leet Eriksson
12-18-2003, 03:56
Actually deployment does'nt sound like a good idea,if you wanna simulate a historical tactical combat,the armies were not usually "deployed"but rather meat each other on the battlefeild and then it all depends on tactics,logistics and some little luck.

The_Emperor
12-18-2003, 14:55
Ok I think that both Armies should march their armies onto the map (to reflect them arriving from their camps) and deploy their troops by actually moving the units into position before the battle...

The defenders start off first and get a small window of deployment time before the attacking side naturally arrive on the field. (and a limit on their zone size, with how far they can move their troops around the battlefield before combat)

Also moving troops into position during this deployment time fully effects their fatigue, so marching up that big steep hill to secure the high ground comes at the price of making your men tired.

When the attackers arrive they get to select their initial formation in the present way and the battle begins once it is done.

So all in all we have the end of "Teleport Deployments" of troops, and you have to march your men to where you want them to be.

That is my idea anyway http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Balamir
12-18-2003, 15:49
People are already spending enough time deploying their armies in a teleport mode, imagine how long it'd take if it had been your way Emperor. A random 3v3 including its army selection takes roughly 45mins-1 hour. If we did it like you suggested, I think it would delay the process about half an hour which is not very good. The current deployment system is basically a fast forward mode of doing what you say anyway, unfortunately without the factor of fatigue.

Edit:typos

Ludens
12-18-2003, 15:54
Quote[/b] (The_Emperor @ Dec. 18 2003,14:55)]The defenders start off first and get a small window of deployment time before the attacking side naturally arrive on the field. (and a limit on their zone size, with how far they can move their troops around the battlefield before combat)
If I were a defender, I'd make sure I arrive at the best spot hours before the enemy army can arrive. It would be even better to make camp there (if possible). Because the defender is already in position, so he should have a deployment zone, in which he can place his army as he likes. The attacker should, of course, march in.

I actually like the idea of Dionysus9:

Quote[/b] ]Why not just combine all these great ideas into a new deployment system?

1) Defender picks deployment zone, then attacker
2) A neutral buffer exists around defender's zone;
3) Allies can deploy anywhere within their collective zone.

The quote has been edited

However, this has several problems: first of all, the attacker can only come from one direction, which rather limits the use of this system for the attacker. Secondly, this zone-picking allows the attacker to see where the defender has placed himself (at the place where he can't deploy). This would give away ambushes, and is rather unrealistic when attacking in mist or heavy rain/snow.

However, I keep an open mind (and vote)

Ludens