PDA

View Full Version : Republican Legions

Quokka
12-18-2003, 20:53
The Legions of the Republic are composed of Hastati, Principes and Triarii.
What I want to know is how are these units going to be treated, is each built seperately and then group them to become a Legion or when you build a Legion if is composed of 3 distinct sub-units?

The_Emperor
12-18-2003, 22:33
I hope the individual units are not built seperately, since the leigions were organised by age and experience... Starting with the inexperienced Velites, through the Hastati, Princepes, and finally to the Triarii who are the Veterans.

I am not sure how it will work in RTW. But I would hate for players to be able to crank out unit after unit of Triarii without the need to generate the rest of the Leigion.

Perhaps they should make it so that you can only train the Triarii if you have enough of the Velites, Hastati and Princepes already?

It is an interesting question as to how it would work in the game, but I would hate to see players do nothing but build a mass of Triarii in their armies

I like your take on this, leigions are built all at once (and thats roughly how they were assembled) and are organised into the correct sub-divisions.

Nikitas
12-19-2003, 06:39
Perhaps you can only build Velites or Hastati and then once your unit gains valor it will upgrade into a higher level. Perhaps upgrading should not be affected by the generals rating. And also you would be able to restore your units while keeping them upgraded, but doing it too much would downgrade the unit.

Ludens
12-19-2003, 17:49
We are not going to have this discussion over again, don't we? It is already being discussed at:
About pre-Marian legionaries... (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=19;t=12554)

And probably at another few threads. We are still not at the answer though, so by all means join us there.

Ludens