PDA

View Full Version : Latest PC Zone(January 2004)

DrNo
12-18-2003, 22:21
Done a quick search but not sure if this has been posted after not being around for a while, but after getting the latest PC Zone mag in UK with a small preview section, I was amazed at an option it described:

"You'll be able to send multiple armies into the field, one under your command and the others under the AI."

This was a quote under one of the pictures but if true, this could be totally awsome for the game.
Now the word 'others' indicates to me that it should be possible to have more than one other friendly army on the field with your own so that should mean at least 60 units per side on the battlefield.

So any CA people out there, what's the max number of friendly armies we can have on field of battle at any one time?

The advisor features described sound great too along with ability to choose how much the AI helps you out both on strategic map and battlefield.
And I am sure the unit level intelligence where units line themselves up automatically, turning to face the enemy will be a big plus for many players.

Bring on the DEMO

Spino
12-18-2003, 23:40
This is definitely a neat feature but those additional player armies that are controlled by the AI had better take simple march, posture (aggressive, defensive) and formation orders from the player.

If not then the Tactical AI better be massively superior to that in Medieval because I can see this single feature causing more angst and frustration among players in tactical battles than anything else. I can just imagine the flood of angry posts in the com and org forums featuring countless horror stories of AI subordinates gone insane.

Kraxis
12-19-2003, 02:28
Hmmm... several armies, now that would get interesting.

I can just foresee how I would create a crack core of troops controlled by me, and a great host of good, but expendable troops to be controlled by the AI. I can just imagine Cannae like that. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

chilling
12-19-2003, 14:02
I think they hinted that you could play multiplayer with an overall human general in charge with subordinate human generals taking orders and running different sections of the army. That's how I recall it, I've not got the magazine with me at the moment.

There was also a nod in the general direction of a very simple multiplayer campaign mode, but with no firm promise of anything. Just the hint that they were looking at 'something'.

Brutal DLX
12-19-2003, 16:22
The originally portrayed idea was once suggested for the VI expansion, IIRC. If they are trying to implement it into Rome, then it surely wasn't in vain.
There is still plenty of time until it is due to be released, and I'm a bit optimistic indeed that they will include many of our ideas, because after all, what is a game series without improvements between the different installments?

chilling
12-19-2003, 17:57
They did say that the actual mechanics of the game were done and they were spending the time from here to release tweaking and polishing things.

I'll scan an post the page on Monday if you want.

The_Emperor
12-19-2003, 18:56
Excellent stuff... So I will not longer be limited to just an initial lineup of 16 units and can send more in under different commanders.

Imagine the Siege situations you could have when you send Hordes of troops in to take a dying enemy's last stronghold?

Well cool http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Spino
12-19-2003, 19:16
Quote[/b] ]Excellent stuff... So I will not longer be limited to just an initial lineup of 16 units and can send more in under different commanders.

Well we already know the standard unit limit has been raised from 16 to 20. Now it remains to be seen just how many additional armies from our own faction we can bring to battle and whether we will have any control over what they do.

Kraxis
12-20-2003, 03:46
You know I just thought of it... I think 20 units might be a bit hard to control with the same efficiency as the 16 in the previous games. But that will just make the game even more fun to play as the AI will get what appears to be a boost (it can instantly control all units). And in MP we will all have to relearn what we have learned before at an even higher learning curve.

I would love to have a battle of generals and lieutenants.

RisingSun
12-20-2003, 05:36
Please do scan the page. I knew about this feature before, but this MP campaign business sounds interesting.

Martok
12-20-2003, 05:53
Quote[/b] (Spino @ Dec. 19 2003,12:16)]Well we already know the standard unit limit has been raised from 16 to 20. Now it remains to be seen just how many additional armies from our own faction we can bring to battle and whether we will have any control over what they do.
I remember reading several months ago (in an interview with CA) that in addition to the 20 units we can control personally, we can summon up to 20 more units under the command of a subordinate AI general. I also believe (although I'm less certain about this) that the article stated we'll be able to give the AI commander a few simple, general orders; such as Attack posture, Defensive posture, Go there, Retreat, etc.

I should warn that I may, of course, be recalling certain parts incorrectly; and/or CA may have altered or even eliminated things that they mentioned in the interview since it was printed. But at the time, at least, that's what the article stated.

Balamir
12-20-2003, 09:35
Oh my God AI controls my armies http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif No way Im going to let my armies get ruined, no way http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

DrNo
12-20-2003, 11:47
The one really good thing about being able to have 2 armies on the field of battle is that it will get around a major current problem in MTW where 5,000 men will be routed by 1000 men. i.e. the AI general is routed off the field in the initial attack and the reinforcing AI units come onto the field with greatly reduced combat ability and flee without fighting.
Will also get around the problem of the AI fielding artillery in it's 16 units and having a much smaller army on the battlefield than it should, wasting it's best units in a first limited attack/defense without enough support troops.

It should hopefully mean that quantity of troops will play a much more important role than in MTW, and expensive quality troops will become less important adding a greater variety to the armies we have to create.

One thing to bear in mind though is that with the strategy map being a real time afair, that getting 2 armies to simultaneously engage the enemy army may not be that easy. Which will probably lead to one army starting the battle and another joining part way through, as seen on Time Commanders.
Be interesting to see if it's possible to position multiple armies in the same location and what sort of area of the strategy map will become the battlefield. i.e. how close will armies have to be to start the battle.