PDA

View Full Version : Civil Wars

Oaty
12-19-2003, 22:22
I hate how the civil wars tears up the A.I. but I'm pretty sure this will change in RTW. Heres my idea for a civil, instead of the rebels becoming ronin they should be there own faction but associated with the faction they left. An easy way to this is if your faction color was red, the rebellious faction becomes red and white stripes. My thought is that they should not be easy pluckings for anyone in bribery except for the faction they split away from. This would could also throw in a few options assinate the new king and voila everything is back to normal or when the evil Romans come to invade there is a chance they unite for a common cause and maybe a few others if yas can think of them. So what does everyone think of this idea

Cobra
12-20-2003, 05:37
Basically united rebels, instead of each little area/region type deal becoming an independent easy 1 deep battle?

lanky316
12-22-2003, 13:05
Thats what it looks like. Rebels from [faction] during Civil War becoming [faction-1]. It sounds good to me. I especially like the idea of there being a chance of reuniting at the threat of an invasion.

Ludens
12-22-2003, 14:41
My thought exactly, except perhaps for the reuniting during the new invasion. When a civil war erupts, things will become rapidly beyond the point of reconciliation. If there is an invasion, usually one of the factions will try to get the invader to support their claim, and the other factions will distrust each other, because they expect the others to play them out against the invaders. The invaders will usually play the tactic of "Divide & Conquer", supporting one of the factions against the others. This will give them a base of operations and a excuse to invade (if they haven't invaded already).

Civil Wars have been known to happen when the country is under a great deal of "stress", meaning when the leader has so much troubles that he cannot sufficiently deal with internal loyality (I'm speaking in game terms of a real-life mechanism http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif ). If the leader is incompetent, an invasion will make this crystal clear for everybody, making people more likely to accept a new leader, and giving ambitious men the opportunity to try to be that new leader.

If the invader was succesful with "Divide & Conquer", the new country is now united under one of the fractions, who thanks its superiority to the invader (if he could have taken it without help of the invader, he would usually have chosen against the invader a for a Patriotic course: "Down with the Rebels and the Foreigners").

Depending on the attitude of the invader towards "substates" and their skill in politics, the new regime will either live on, or be crushed by the invader to show who is really boss. If it will live on, a invader who is skillfull in politics, will not allow the substate to unite again so that it can become independent. That means, for example, that if the leader of the winning faction tries to form something approaching a national army, he can be expected to be thrown out of his office and replaced by another man from his faction, who is less likely to try to subvert the invader.

bighairyman
12-28-2003, 01:41
Quote[/b] (Cobra @ Dec. 19 2003,22:37)]Basically united rebels, instead of each little area/region type deal becoming an independent easy 1 deep battle?
sounds good, i also think that different "faction" rebels should not affect each other. and rebels should be able to invade other rebels.

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/idea.gif the rebels should also have a name like " the independent ppl of rome" or something like that. and their should have thier own leader and other "governemnt" units

Ludens
01-01-2004, 15:11
Basically the rebels should form a new faction, which is identical to other factions, except in name and a determination to eridicate the "real" state.

Problems:
1. The name, there will be continually new factions and you can't name them all "Indepent people of Rome" (ALL HAIL THE PEOPLES FRONT OF JUDEA). Anyway, historically, they used to give themself the name of those they rebelled against. They were the "real Romans".

2. Which of the factions after a division of the empire would you be? If it was just an indepence revolt, that would be understandable, but if the kingdom was divided after the death of the king, which would you be?