PDA

View Full Version : Managing Governors

Selborne
01-13-2004, 02:29
I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle my province governors. At first, I would keep all of my governors in their home province, thinking that they had to be present to get the acumen benefit. But I noticed the AI doesn't do that, so I moved some governors around, and it didn't seem to affect anything when they are out of their provinces.

So, are there any negative consequences to having your governors off fighting battles instead of staying at home keeping the books? If you strip a governor of his titles when he is far from home, does the title scroll appear where the ex-governor is located, or back in the home province?

I've noticed that most of my units with really high acumen are of royal blood. Can generals with royal blood be made governors? Can heirs to the throne be made governors? Are there any drawbacks or advantages to doing so?

I almost always pick governors with high Acumen, and then use peasant troops to keep loyalty high. Is this the best way to go, or should I give less attention to Acumen and focus instead on Dread to keep the population in line?

What is the best way to use titles that aren't specific to a single province (e.g., Chancellor)? I've tended to just give the title to whoever is the current governor of Wessex, but that's mostly for lack of really understanding how these titles work. Does the person designated as Chancellor have any effect on the faction as a whole, or do the benefits just apply to the province he's governing? (In other words, what is the benefit, if any, of having a Chancellor who is not also a Governor of a province?)

I'm sure these have been asked and answered elsewhere... if so, feel free to provide the link. Thanks in advance...

ichi
01-13-2004, 02:51
Quote[/b] (Selborne @ Jan. 12 2004,18:29)].
I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle my province governors. At first, I would keep all of my governors in their home province, thinking that they had to be present to get the acumen benefit. But I noticed the AI doesn't do that, so I moved some governors around, and it didn't seem to affect anything when they are out of their provinces.

You are right, it makes no difference.

Quote[/b] ]So, are there any negative consequences to having your governors off fighting battles instead of staying at home keeping the books? If you strip a governor of his titles when he is far from home, does the title scroll appear where the ex-governor is located, or back in the home province?

They can get killed, but they also may develop a vice or virtue. The title shows up 'back in the home province'.

Quote[/b] ]I've noticed that most of my units with really high acumen are of royal blood. Can generals with royal blood be made governors? Can heirs to the throne be made governors? Are there any drawbacks or advantages to doing so?

No, they can't be guvs

Quote[/b] ]I almost always pick governors with high Acumen, and then use peasant troops to keep loyalty high. Is this the best way to go, or should I give less attention to Acumen and focus instead on Dread to keep the population in line?

I prefer Acumen (4+), but there are others who use different criteria. Only those whose loyalty is 4 or more, and if I have more than one choice that is 4+ Acumen 4+ Loyalty then I look for Dread, Piety, and good guv virtues. I try to not use my best troop types as guvs, instead like to use obsolete/weak models (Urban Militia, Archers, Spearmen).

I keep a unit of peasants, an archer, and a sword unit in each province, along with a spy, priest or Bishop, and an assassin. I those normally rebellious provinces like Portugal I keep a few old beat up, depleted units also.

Quote[/b] ]What is the best way to use titles that aren't specific to a single province (e.g., Chancellor)? I've tended to just give the title to whoever is the current governor of Wessex, but that's mostly for lack of really understanding how these titles work. Does the person designated as Chancellor have any effect on the faction as a whole, or do the benefits just apply to the province he's governing? (In other words, what is the benefit, if any, of having a Chancellor who is not also a Governor of a province?)

Titles that add acumen go to the guv of the most productive province, to boost florins from that province even more. Titles that give command go to a multi-star general with good fighting virutes and high loyalty. These guys go on the attack or are kept in important defensive positions.

Quote[/b] ]I'm sure these have been asked and answered elsewhere... if so, feel free to provide the link. Thanks in advance...

They have been discussed, you can use the search function to find a lot of stuff about happiness, loyalty, and governing provinces.

Welcome to The Org

ichi

Revenant69
01-13-2004, 03:29
Quote[/b] ]No, they can't be guvs

Correction, Royal heirs WILL eventually become just regular generals with Royal blood in them and so can be given titles.
Say King Cnut has a bunch of brothers; and say he also just sired an heir (Harald), who becomes 16 while King Cnut is still alive. Harald becomes the next heir to the throne, and Cnut's brothers become Harald's uncles with no pretentions to the throne. You can see that by looking at your royalty parchement and you will notice that these uncles were removed from that parchment.

Now you can give them titles and such. It takes awhile, but sometimes you get ubergovernors like that. It is really worth waiting.

Other than that, ichi was correct on everything else.

Komutan
01-13-2004, 06:43
Revenant, your example is not quite correct.The uncles stay heirs(but come after their nephews in the line of succession), until their nephew becomes king.

Actually keeeping governors in their provinces has a small advantage.You see, V&V gained by constructing buildings(and which usually raise the performance of a governor) do not go to the governor of the province but to the highest ranking commander in the province.

Quokka
01-13-2004, 10:53
Komutan has mentioned something that can be significant. The highest ranking general in a province gets any V&V earned by a governor in that province. This can be a hindrance or a help.

It can hinder you by having the Governor of Constantinople earning the Steward virtue but because he is campaigning and under a higher general that 6*, 0 Acumen general will become the Steward. The converse is also true. You can place a governor under a Prince and have the Prince attract virtues that will make him an excellent governor himself when he is elligble.
Later in the game especially if you are winning your governors will start to attract bad V&Vs like Outlaw, Brigand, Corrupt. Placing them under a spare general can save many governor changes.

There is also a school of thought that the proximity to the King can affect a governors loyalty and 'bad habits'. After things have settled down a little and I have expanded or survived the initial stages I like to use my non-command governors as reserve troops and will merge them with other like units until they are by themselves. I then move the governors to the same province that my King resides. I keep them seperate until they have aquired the Builder and Steward vitues and then make stacks under a spare 1* general. Easy to keep track off, quick to change governors (disband 1 man), and wards off many Strange and Inbred vices.

The best way to manage your governors is to micromanage them. Never let the AI assign titles.

Basileus
01-13-2004, 10:59
Well peasants are good govenors, in time the get almost max most of them..staying in the province can be positive and negative..one thing which is annoying to get is lazy and very lazy can happen to a unti that doesnt move...so do like me start with 4 acumen goveners and you´ll see them become bank men in a few years heh keep them in the province for loyalty reasons aswell http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-glasses2.gif

pdoan8
01-13-2004, 11:17
Heirs to the throne are marked with a silver knife... dagger... sword... or whatever you call it, in the top left corner of the unit icon you see in the unit preview panel. You can give him title after he loses the heir marker (lose the heir status and he is no longer in the heir list). He is now a royal-blood general.

Ranking: if you mean command stars, then it's not the highest command stars general in the province, but the highest command stars in the stack which the governor is in. So, don't put the governor in a stack with another higher command stars general. Edit: unless, as Quokka said, you want to give the virtue to the commanding general.

Cazbol
01-13-2004, 11:39
Didn't it say somewhere that having governors in their own province increases happiness?

Phatose
01-13-2004, 17:06
I seem to remember reading that province governors give their acumen effect anywhere, but the dread effect increasing loyalty only functions when they're actually in the province. Can't say I know how true that is though.

Interesting tidbit about the governors passing on vices. I'll have to remember that.

altti
01-13-2004, 20:52
Don't know how accurate this is but those of my governors who stay put tend to generate quite nasty vices compared to those who are fighting all the time.

Selborne
01-14-2004, 00:24
Thanks for the replies. It looks like there are advantages and disadvantages either way. Clearly, more experimentation is called for This gives me some things to try; I still haven't got the hang of when & how V&V appear, so this is very useful.

Doug-Thompson
01-14-2004, 02:27
Quote[/b] (Cazbol @ Jan. 13 2004,04:39)]Didn't it say somewhere that having governors in their own province increases happiness?
I'm sure that's correct, and the best argument for keeping a governor within his province.

Frankly, having the virtues or vice go to the highest ranking commander in a province is a real pain. Sometimes, a rich province is on the front line with a big army and a high-ranking general. Then he leaves when you go on the offensive again. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-furious3.gif